It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sixty die in crush in Ivory Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
With the Hillsborough disaster refreshed in everyones minds where 96 were crushed to death in a football stadium (Hillsborough - The Disaster, the Cover-up) this goes and happens in another stadiumon the Ivory coast.

Reports of thsoe that died were mostly children between the ages of 8 and 15..
There appears to be no apparent reason for the stampede as of yet.

The number of dead is expected to rise, possibly through injuries sustained.

At least 60 people have been crushed to death and more than 200 injured during new year festivities in Ivory Coast's main city Abidjan, officials say.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday near a stadium in the central Plateau area of the city where a fireworks display was held.

The cause of the stampede is not yet clear. It occurred as people were heading home after the event.

www.bbc.co.uk...

People had gathered there for the organsied fireworks display. The government will be covering the medical costs of all those injured that require treatment.

May the dead rest in peace. Our thoughts are with you, on what would have been the start of a brand new year.

I hope this is not a sign.

This leads me to ask, are stadiums as safe as we hope they should be? I knowit is a rare event, but in case of emergencies, how quickly would people rush to the exits? How can we prevent this from happening again?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Terrible news.

I loathe crowds, just for this reason. I'm not agoraphobic, I just don't like crowds. I do my best to stay away from them, bc in a big crowd, you really are helpless.

Prayers for all involved...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
obviously we need more fireworks control

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It sure does seem like kids have been too involved in violence and tragedy lately.

Stories like this just break my heart.....we really need to keep an eye on the little ones.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Looks like there may have been a combination of factors in play.

According to some reports, thousands of people were trying to leave the stadium at the same time as another large crowd was trying to get in, the BBC's West Africa correspondent Thomas Fessy says.

But one of the wounded told Reuters news agency that the arrival of security forces had triggered a panic which resulted in a stampede.

Thousands of people going in opposite directions, and "security forces" trying to quell the chaos could very well be a recipe for disaster.

edit on 1/1/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
obviously we need more fireworks control

Wasn't funny in the other thread, isn't funny now.
edit on 1-1-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

That's interesting...

Compare this one to hillsborough. Hillsborough was a direct result of the police actions.

This accident seems to be an indirect fault of 'security forces'. I wonder if we are going to see some interesting results from this or another cover up?

sad day...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

From what I've read previously, the security forces there are like bulls in a china shop, so it's really no surprise people might panic when those guys show up en masse. So yeah, I think we're looking at a similar situation here, and I'm sure they will do their best to exonerate the actions of the officers in the media. How grievous.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

was meant to be sarcastic and make a point

if there hadnt been a fireworks show all these people wouldnt have died

so we should just ban fireworks shows or all public getherings over a certain number of people for that matter
edit on 1-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

And if there had not been a football match 96 people would not have died..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sarcasm with such events do not go well together..
And when you consider the reasons behind the display, it just makes sarcasm even more "not required"

The fireworks event had been organised to celebrate the peace recently re-established after a period of unrest triggered by former President Laurent Gbagbo's refusal to recognise Mr Ouattara's victory in 2010 elections.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Never mind.
edit on 1-1-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Terrible news.

I loathe crowds, just for this reason. I'm not agoraphobic, I just don't like crowds. I do my best to stay away from them, bc in a big crowd, you really are helpless.

Prayers for all involved...

I'm with you , except it sounds like you used your head to come to this conclusion and I had to learn the hard way .

When I was still a kid I once saw a young boy who suffered with polio knocked to the ground and trampled by a group of preteens hell-bent on being the first one to the snack bar during a Saturday matinee movie intermission .

I did help and the boy wasn't injured, but to this day I hate large crowds .

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Pretty sad how this hasn't been on any news at all and no one on my facebook heard of it either when I posted.

So what....20 americans are worth more than 60 africans?? Seems that way to the media

top topics

join