It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is London calling, 2013 New Years display. A message to the world?

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Well, well. Happy New Year ATS’ers.

Did you have a fun New Year’s Eve? I think someone may have and I think they may have wanted to share their little giggle with the world.

As many others would have been I found myself near at TV as the year changed over, BBC 1 was on for the big countdown. I heard Big Ben, saw the pretty fireworks and heard the accompanying music.

I was chatting as it continued but keeping an eye on the screen and an ear open. I seemed to note a lot of blue this year, gently offered too insofar as illuminating the background even when the main display was multicoloured, there always seemed to be some somewhere. Nice touch (can’t be too subtle, the general public are pretty dumb weren’t all blessed with such an exclusive, privileged upbringing).

I heard Mr David Cameron talk proudly of “One United Kingdom” slight reverb stirring memory to the glories of a bygone age of empire. I raised an eyebrow considering but hey, everyone had a few by then perhaps he was a little the worse for wear too. After all, he’s a common man, right?

Cameron’s Mr Blue Sky blared out yet, despite an evening of alcohol and nibbles, I managed not to vomit. How cool is this, seconds into 2013 and I already have reason to be proud of myself!

Not though as proud as some unnamed person who may have been smiling more than anyone else watching for at 07:50 in the video offered below you may note something which caused my ears to prick up and me to snap my head toward the screen after the jingoistic, self-aggrandizing rhetoric, for what should I hear backing up the words of our Dave but. . . well check for yourselves. Whip along to 07:50

Recognise that? For those that didn’t, here:

Blaring out over the words of current Mayor of London (and popular choice as potential next leader of the Tory party) Boris Johnson is is a song by The Who and the title is ‘Won’t get fooled again’.

Here for your enjoyment are the lyrics :

We'll be fighting in the streets, with our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and then the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come, we knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same and history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

We don't get fooled again, no no

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets, looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again, no no

Yeah
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

I have to shoot off but I'd be interested in anything else ATS'ers can see here that you think is worth a mention. To the chap who chose that music there, I hope you saw the New Year in with a smile.
edit on 1/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

You heard a mash up of British music?

I caught The Who and Dizzee Rascal among others...

CX

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Interesting, but i think that 50 seconds of just music playing without lyrics is just what it is....one of many background songs last night. Many who were watching probably wouldn't even have known the music.

I did have to chuckle at the words of Boris Johnson being followed by Dizzy Rascal's "Bonkers".

CX.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Oh and here's the man responsible for the music:

DJ Nihal

en.wikipedia.org...

JAK

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yes many wouldn't recognise certain songs but I don't think that would stop anyone having a bit of a giggle and yes I did hear what could easily be simply mash up of British music. It was though music which was carefully chosen and carefully arranged

Originally posted by CX

I did have to chuckle at the words of Boris Johnson being followed by Dizzy Rascal's "Bonkers".

Ok, so the thread title may have been a little dramatic considering someone (or perhaps a couple of people involved) somewhere may just have been having a little fun, but I meant nothing more. Boris Johnson - Dizzy Rascal's "Bonkers" That someone might be having a giggle seems a fair question here. Particularly when considering the undercurrent of animosity between Cameron and Johnson and, let's be honest, probably the majority view of Johnson the loveable buffoon, is that too funny to be accidental?

I got a few smiles out of it, more than I might have otherwise. Don't the British generally appreciate wry humour?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

I went completely the other way with this.

I thought you were talking about the lyrics matching up with the shot of the London Eye...

Yes, well Boris is a bit Bonkers I suppose

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Oh and here's the man responsible for the music:

DJ Nihal

en.wikipedia.org...

Do you even know who Dj nihal is?
edit on 1-1-2013 by misscurious because: mobile phone auto correct...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

The other two posters seemed to have missed the point.

As soon as the song kicked in I knew what you meant and then when Boris's voice came on....quite amusing.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by JAK

The other two posters seemed to have missed the point.

As soon as the song kicked in I knew what you meant and then when Boris's voice came on....quite amusing.

Agreed.. Ive met nihal a number of times.. he comes across as the sort of guy that would do that for a laugh.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Who's Di hihal?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i watched a bit of it and was sure i heard a remake of 'Stand and Deliver' originally sung by Adam and the Ants back in the 80's.

i thought, 'ummm. The elite really do want to steal everyones money and kill those who don't comply. 2013 is going to be hell for the masses'.

i could be wrong.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Rapha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by JAK

You heard a mash up of British music?

I caught The Who and Dizzee Rascal among others...

The Tories love that Bonkers song.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Wishful thinking my friend..this particular part of the who song lends well to fireworks or psychadelics

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I heard fireworks set to music. I realise we're meant to read the subtext but so what? What music would you pick for a pyrotechnic display, and let's see if we can get some alternative message.

Since all the subliminals from the olympics - what has actually happened? TPTB might be s'n-word'ing at the mass ignorance, but so what? I laugh at TPTB on a daily basis.

Nothing to see here

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

The Who has been back in vogue this year as I've seen/heard them everywhere from the Olympics to vegas... were they not at the superbowl last year too??? Seems the who became cool again esp with you brits lol

new topics

top topics

join