It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The digital invasion of your privacy and living room

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I strongly disagree with those who said this technology will be beneficial. Even if there were some benefit beyond targeted advertising, which really does not benefit anyone, the negatives would outweigh the positives. It is scary to think that these companies could actually convince people that having a camera and mic on their tv or dvr is a good idea, considering that this just SCREAMS bad bad bad. The government and corporations, who help each other out all the time, get away with so much because too many people just do not care.

Something I think people need to do is quite simple. Just write your members of Congress. People think it doesn't work, but usually someone does take a look at your message. Don't submit messages online, but instead mail them in, and include a SASE for a reply. This is highly effective when many different people from your area do the same thing. The representative who suddenly get a huge influx of mail is going to take notice.

Which reminds me...Do you know why we have some laws now, especially the politically correct crap that the hippies complain about? It is because they flooded these representatives with letters in the mail. Of course not every single one of these politicians is going to do what the people ask them to do, but quite a few will take into account whether or not the voters support a certain issue. This is even more effective if the representative is approaching re-election. So organize the people in your area and flood the mailboxes of these politicians. It doesn't even have to be your specific representative, and even though you cannot vote for that person you can still let them know how you feel. This really can work, and it does all the time, so take this advice if you don't already do this.

Anyway, does anyone really think that targeted advertising is worth the potential privacy invasion of having recording devices with recording devices inside of them, constantly watching you? And that part about "if you start getting frisky on the couch, the system will take notice." I would not even risk something like this, as you cannot know who is watching you. Maybe nobody is, but just because there are rules in place to prevent this sort of thing, employees are still going to do it. I've had employees of government, at the post office, steal valuable things out of envelopes and packages before. And remember the case of the school watching kids through their laptops? This sort of thing happens all the time, so never agree to put anything with a camera on it in your house.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

The derp is strong with that article. About halfway down she takes a left turn into the alfalfa. "ultrasonic implants"? Be serious. And, no, LEDs do not transmit. They're a friggin' diode.

What you CAN do, is pick up sound in a room if they've got a fiber optic feed. So if you're in one of those places with fiber into the house, it's a great listening device.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by svmpua

Seems totally harmless. What could possibly go wrong here?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This has been an ongoing theme for many years now. But I'm surprised to see not a lot of discussion on this post.

They had us from the moment we started carrying internet-enabled phones everywhere we went.

One question: Has anyone actually -opened up- and tried manually removing the GPS unit on a smartphone? Like one of the above posters mentioned, it shouldn't be impossible...

What about creating products with manual off-switches for certain capabilities. I.e. a hard-switch to turn the mic on and off... or a built-in cover on webcams on your computer, that you can flick closed when you're done video-chatting?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Not to belittle you, but have a look at the patent page these days. Apple, appliance, etc....anyone?
Your regrigerator, for God's sake, is looking at you. If you don't know that by now, I can't help you and neither can anyone else.

Your iphone, ipad, etc., is totally a device of those who made it and sold it to you. It will work or not work, access or not, as they choose. Surely everyone knows this by now. If they do not, I strongly encourage some investigative digging on the US Patents page. That;s all it will take, and admittedly, I am too lazy to source it for you now, for it is within the purview of your own fingertips.

Having said that, we should assume, therefore, that EVERYONE is in your/my living room, for a long long time now. And........

the reality now is not so important as the extrapolation of what that means in the future, already.......notice my time reference and "slip" there.....it's way too late, dude;. what do we do now? that's the question. there is no way to fight a war when the enemy is watching us all the time, and even controlling "time."

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

The federal government has mandated the death of incandescent light bulbs. These are to be replaced with the fluorescent type with built in circuitry (wonder what that contains), and the popular LED type light bulb. Either of which I suspect will work just fine for their purposes. You see they just make it hard, or impossible to avoid. Will you never ever buy another TV, or DVR, or stereo, or light bulb for that matter....

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I can see it now... on fox news...

"Odd PHENOMENON! Just as the level of technology has gone on the increase... so has the selling rate of duct tape... "

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You can make a light bulb many different ways... you can build your own HAM radios... sure the populace won't do this because let's face it, persons inside of "normal" society in general are domesticated pets to the rich. More that most will be subjugated, forced into free labor, recorded and extortioned, blackmailed, sold, bought, rented, and OWNED. Remove yourself and your family from the threat now. Learn to be self sustaining and seelf sufficient. Learn to build, fabricate, farm, and innovate. Or ask your master for a pretty leash.
edit on 1-1-2013 by W0mbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Well, Fully agree here, there is no good reason for such technology - we dont need it and we dont want it.

reply to post by Bedlam

That part could be added for a purpose (make people disbelieve in the article and yell for tinfoilhats), but I have to agree ultrasonic implant sounds a bit futuristic. I'm not that fast dicarding the LED's, even thou again I will agree with you that normal/standard LEDs shouldnt be able to do this.

edit on 2-1-2013 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonytrout1976
reply to post by svmpua

How can this be beneficial? It's an invasion of privacy - simple as that.

Read the thread and look at the benefits that this technology provides.

It will be seen as 'an invasion of privacy' only if the government can somehow manage to put it claws over it.

Simple as that.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You're missing the bigger picture.

When this stuff hits the open market it will be in all kinds of places you go where you have no control over the immediate environment. In the street, in shops, in bars, in hotels, in transit stations, in friend's homes.

Originally posted by Raxoxane
Easy solution.Don't buy these things.Don't bring them into your house.Or keep up with the Joneses and everyone who just HAVE to have the latest gadgets and smartphones and this latest tech and that new gewgag+whatever,and be under even more surveillance than you already are.The option Is available,to Just Not own these things.Nobody puts a gun to one's head and Forces one to buy these products.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by svmpua

Seems totally harmless. What could possibly go wrong here?

Absolutely nothing could go wrong here.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Motorhead

Dude Its not easy to implement such a new technology all over the world so easily.
There are many things to be considered.
Privacy, Cost , Use etc.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Astroboletos

A Smart phones GPS unit is different as these days its a System on a chip (SOC), meaning that the GPS and other systems (baseband radio, WiFi, GPS etc) are all integrated into one small silicone package.

You could remove the chip but you would lose all functionality, even basic call making, so your smartphone wouldn't be a phone any more. That's if the device worked at all.

Microphones and cameras are different in that although they will be controlled my a microchip, and data from them may be handled by an SOC they are sperate entities. You can safely (probably) cut off the eyes and ears without losing basic functionality.
edit on 2/1/2013 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Fondue

Oh yes,its going to be difficult,i know.We are'nt great TV watchers though,we have only 1,and its a cheaper older model,i watch maybe 10 minutes a week,that's if the kids call me to see something of interest,very seldom i'll watch a horror-flic,which is my bag,but 49 out of 50 times i watch the dvd rather,on our pc which has no camera.We're not people who care about smartphones or even BB's,ive had a lil Nokia Xpressmusic for quite a while now,it can't do much but it takes adequate pix,and i can access the Net.We have a gas stove+ older appliances like fridges,and when ours die of old age(which may be years yet,there was a time they made things to LAST) we'll buy an old used one.I light us some candles at night,and in my country,the old-fashioned lightbulbs are still what's most widely used,we dont use the new types at all.We don't have much disposable income after medical insurance,school fees+food has been paid,but we definitely would have spent any extra money on going out together,and having fun as a family,instead of on gadgets+possessions.Its experiences with one's loved one's that you recall on your deathbed,not funky gadgets+luxuries,and seriously,even if we lived in a different world without the spying,we still would have lived the exact same way.We are just not very materialistic people,or very into all this new hitech/Frankentech,whatever.Where emails are concerned-its a choice-either i mind that they read my comms+be a friendless hermit,or i resign myself to the fact that they know lots about my rather boring life,and have friends.I choose the latter.You can't evade their prying everywhere at all times,but you can certainly minimise it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir
The quality of cams, microphones etc. has skyrocketed last 10 years and it is now becomming a treat to your privacy. As the quality has increased and the price decreased various devious companies has seen an increased potential to spy on you and your family.

Google TV, Microsoft, Comcast, and now Verizon have all submitted patent applications to create televisions and DVRs that will watch you as you watch TV.

Earlier this month, news came out that Verizon applied for a patent to create a DVR sometime in the future that has cameras and microphones that can see and hear what you're doing and saying, while watching TV. Sounds, actions, food choices, and your ethnicity -- all tracked by the DVR -- will influence what you see in your commercial breaks.

I'm sure this is an issue that has been mentioned before on ATS in some form or another, but it is an issue that is rapidly expanding and treatening to gather nudevideomaterial of anyone. Here is a look at the patent Verizon is trying to get through.

If your DVR hears you getting frisky on the couch, it will input terms like "romance, love, cuddle" into the system and play "a commercial for a romantic getaway vacation, a commercial for a contraceptive, a commercial for flowers, a commercial including a trailer for an upcoming romantic comedy movie."

"Additionally or alternatively, if detection facility 104 detects that a couple is arguing/fighting with each other, advertising facility 106 may select an advertisement associated marriage/relationship counseling."

Your DVR will be able to know what kind of beer you're drinking: "If detection facility 104 detects a particular object (e.g., a Budweiser can) within a user's surroundings, advertising facility 106 may select an advertisement associated with the detected object (e.g., a Budweiser commercial)."

If you seem stressed, to be considerate the DVR will show you an ad for "aromatherapy candles."

The DVR will also build a profile about you, picking up on your "preferences, traits, tendencies."

A source familiar with the Verizon patent process told Business Insider that given the other contenders, it's very remote that Verizon would win the bid.

Yes they wont get total control of this invasive technology, because the technology is so "useful" that we need to share it with the other pervert companies that wants to spy on your naked kids - disgusting. Verizon also makes smartphones, which can be used to spy on your conversations whereever you go. This issue is at the doorsteps and will rapidly expand in the future....are you ready?

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 1-1-2013 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

Yes, I'm ready to NOT have a smart phone, and NOT allow any of this equipment into my home. I already am not a cable or satellite subscriber, and this will seal the deal permanently.
The only way to win this game is not to play!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
the borg are assymilating you....but not so graphically as in the movies. but gradually..

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It's like having a pervert in your living room!

I feel like I have to put on a show for the TV when it watches me.

This is one of the reasons why I unplugged my TV set. Still have the camera and microphone on the computer, and the smart phone, but not like a false digital sun watching me grow couch potato roots into the sofa. Oh and I save about a hundred bucks a month by skipping cable!

I got turned off the idea of "in technofuture Amerika, TV watches you" when I observed a cable TV executive who thought the idea was appropriate. It was in the early nineties and the plans were laid out for digital transition, and the big reason why they did it was to make more specific money for advertisers who wanted to buy time in their networks. It would make him rich. It has nothing to do with the actual consumer, but turns into the mantra: we will tell you what you will like, and you will pay us for it. There is no actual free will in that future in relation to the TV set. Some of their talk bordered on what people could call delusional: getting experience beams that go directly into viewers' minds. For their wallets, not a viewer's independence.

The executive didn't care about the consumer. He didn't watch TV; he counted money and made stubborn deals against the privacy of the individual. So now when I think about the voyeur TV, I think about his pale overweight careless business shark face sitting in my living room, watching me. I don't want to give my privacy to him. That kind of TV turns me off.

If people wouldn't put a security camera in a corner of their living room, watching them do everything, that goes back to a monitoring station, why would they accept it under a TV connection? Same thing. You don't know what sort of weirdo is working the other side. National security must be drooling for these sorts of access permits. It makes your TV room the most risky room of the house for privacy violations. Goodbye to an invention, a patent, a copyright, grandma's secret cookie recipe, the affairs... it turns that thing into a blackmail box. Those business cheap-os are going to outsource that too, potentially to another country. It's like having a stalker. I'm grossed out.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
They will probably push this towards the low income crowd, for free of course. Then they will bring their buddies over who will see what fun it is because sadly people are too naive to not realize or even care about their lack of privacy when they could enjoy the free gaming systems instead. This is scary!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
whenever I #$% off in front of my laptop, I cover the camera just in case.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join