The digital invasion of your privacy and living room

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The quality of cams, microphones etc. has skyrocketed last 10 years and it is now becomming a treat to your privacy. As the quality has increased and the price decreased various devious companies has seen an increased potential to spy on you and your family.

Google TV, Microsoft, Comcast, and now Verizon have all submitted patent applications to create televisions and DVRs that will watch you as you watch TV.

Earlier this month, news came out that Verizon applied for a patent to create a DVR sometime in the future that has cameras and microphones that can see and hear what you're doing and saying, while watching TV. Sounds, actions, food choices, and your ethnicity -- all tracked by the DVR -- will influence what you see in your commercial breaks.

I'm sure this is an issue that has been mentioned before on ATS in some form or another, but it is an issue that is rapidly expanding and treatening to gather nudevideomaterial of anyone. Here is a look at the patent Verizon is trying to get through.

If your DVR hears you getting frisky on the couch, it will input terms like "romance, love, cuddle" into the system and play "a commercial for a romantic getaway vacation, a commercial for a contraceptive, a commercial for flowers, a commercial including a trailer for an upcoming romantic comedy movie."

"Additionally or alternatively, if detection facility 104 detects that a couple is arguing/fighting with each other, advertising facility 106 may select an advertisement associated marriage/relationship counseling."

Your DVR will be able to know what kind of beer you're drinking: "If detection facility 104 detects a particular object (e.g., a Budweiser can) within a user's surroundings, advertising facility 106 may select an advertisement associated with the detected object (e.g., a Budweiser commercial)."

If you seem stressed, to be considerate the DVR will show you an ad for "aromatherapy candles."

The DVR will also build a profile about you, picking up on your "preferences, traits, tendencies."

A source familiar with the Verizon patent process told Business Insider that given the other contenders, it's very remote that Verizon would win the bid.

Yes they wont get total control of this invasive technology, because the technology is so "useful" that we need to share it with the other pervert companies that wants to spy on your naked kids - disgusting. Verizon also makes smartphones, which can be used to spy on your conversations whereever you go. This issue is at the doorsteps and will rapidly expand in the future....are you ready?

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 1-1-2013 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This technologies ,when it comes out, will be beneficial for the masses in one way or the other.

However we have to make sure that the government keeps its dirty paws off these technologies.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here is a few cut's from another article about the same issue and the potential of LED's, it's roughly 1 year old.

As if a person might not be concerned enough about privacy and surveillance, the improvements to electronic spying tech and the drop in price for digital storage will soon allow governments to hoover up all data in the here-and-now but execute retroactive surveillance.

Now picture this, a city with a population of 12 million which has about 500,000 video cameras, one video cam for every 24 people. By 2020, the declining costs for digital storage will make it possible to store all of that video acquired, in high resolution, for about a quarter per person.

The consequences of the "coming era of ubiquitous surveillance" to countries with a "complete absence of privacy considerations" will affect all of us.

For the past several months I have been diligently, and with Law Enforcement approval, researching several 'exotic modulation' audio surveillance devices that have been seen in Europe and are now in North America. The devices included high quality Ultrasonic, inductive and light modulated listening devices. Some of the results were stunning, and the standard sweep tools most of us buy in North America simply can't detect them. For example, there is one modified LED bulb that will send audio over 300 meters, a nasty ultrasonic audio implant that sends room audio via fortuitous audio pathways, and a kit that allows the attacker to modify any color LED light found in a common appliance and turn it into an audio transmitter. The last and most important device for those of us who work with high threat levels is the inductive device. It literally goes through anything and it is very scary. Qualified sweepers can view these new and significant devices at www.waypointcs.ca in the government and LEO restricted area.

At this time of year when many of us are surrounded by an inordinate amount of LED bulbs via holiday decorations, the idea of Christmas lights spying on anyone by potentially "listening" for audio seemed extra creepy

Yes, Virginia, even the LED lights might be 'listening'

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Easy solution.Don't buy these things.Don't bring them into your house.Or keep up with the Joneses and everyone who just HAVE to have the latest gadgets and smartphones and this latest tech and that new gewgag+whatever,and be under even more surveillance than you already are.The option Is available,to Just Not own these things.Nobody puts a gun to one's head and Forces one to buy these products.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Electrical tape over said devices sensors will foil this evil plan!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I'm fully in line with that answer.....I dont need new gadgets if my old "crap" still works.

reply to post by Grifter81

Yea it works on the cameras you are aware of (I've done that for years), but how effective is it on a microphone that may be hidden behind the cabinet of your device. You also want to ducktape all your LEDs?
edit on 1-1-2013 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

That is true of course. Were seeing more and more of these so called 'smart' devices come to the market. All of which are constantly connected to the internet and are constantly sending data somewhere. Usually under the guise of 'on demand'.

Probably the best course of action is, as the above poster said, to not adopt these technologies in the first place.

I'm an electrical hobbyist, if I got my hands on such a device I'd love to open one up and see what makes one tick. I'm sure all the sensing technology would be superfluous to the normal operation of the device.

My guess is it could all be easily bypassed by someone like myself who knows their way around a circuit board, has spare components to hand and is good with a soldering iron.

There could even be a market for reworked 'dumb' devices if you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I'm certain there would be a market for such, if people become aware of their surroundings.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
And here is something from an article from yesterday talking about hidden cameras in smoke detectors in James A. Haley VA Medical Center, that recorded thousand of hours, spying on a veteran.

TAMPA — Officials at the James A. Haley VA Medical Center put a tiny camera hidden in a smoke detector in the room of a brain-damaged veteran without telling his family.

This, Haley says, did not violate the patient's privacy.

But six months after the family of veteran Joseph Carnegie first asked for a copy of the video recorded off that camera, Haley officials still have not turned anything over to them.

Natalie Carnegie said she doesn't understand how a camera that the VA insists did not violate her father or her family's privacy needs to be reviewed to protect the privacy of strangers.

The camera has sparked two investigations of Haley — one by the U.S. House Veterans Affairs Committee, the second by the VA's inspector general.Smoke-detector camera videos still not released to veteran's family

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You make it sound as if it has not all ready happened. They have been doing this for years. The Govterment has told the public that they put microphones and camera's inside appliances. Dont expect them to look like a microphone or a camera though. Like the article says, they have made LED microphone, what else do they have? You know the newest TV's are LED and OLED.
On the first dark knight batman movie, batman uses cell phones to see whole buildings in real time. The movie described the tech like sonar. Its not a camera but a puls witch is sent out by the cell phone and sent back to the cell phone, it uses the noise distortion to make a live video image.

ITS NOT JUST VERIZON. All cell phone company's spy on you even when your phone is off, the Govt has told us this. Xbox kenetic is a device for your a Xbox gaming station. It records your movement and matches it to the game play on the tv screen. Xbox kenetic is able to track your BIOMETRICS. (the next phase of this tech) Biometrics are like a body finger print. Its a mathematical calculation of various body parts. How far your eyes are apart, how large they are, where your nose and your mouth is on your face ect.... Now imagine walking down a street, a billboard scans your biometrics and advertizes to you based on a DATA base they have on you and guess what YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!!! They have all ready started the data base on every one of us. They store TRILLIONS (probably more) of gigs worth of information. As soon as I hit reply (possibly even before) this post is going in my file. It goes much further then this. I am not going to post any more because I might traumatize some of you. Its really sickening
how deep this really goes. Just imagine the power one would hold after unlocking the secrets of how the brain works.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i'm sure if these come common place that in the
alternate market there will be boxes one can purchase
to scramble or block the signals...

just a matter of time before the 'anti' team come up with
ways to blow the listener's ear drum.

Wonder how those electronic bug devices would interfere
with the signals of this kind....

plug a box in your house some where and it scrambles all the
signals.

Given time, the opponents will come out with something.

But i agree , dont buy it and wont have to worry.
Shoot my ol 55" projection just started to crap out this year
and now i have to replace it.. but me being me, im not looking
at the store for a new one, i'm shopping craig's list.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
Easy solution.Don't buy these things.Don't bring them into your house.Or keep up with the Joneses and everyone who just HAVE to have the latest gadgets and smartphones and this latest tech and that new gewgag+whatever,and be under even more surveillance than you already are.The option Is available,to Just Not own these things.Nobody puts a gun to one's head and Forces one to buy these products.

I just hope there is disclosure about these technologies in said specific devices, that way one can choose to not purchase. If they are built in to the devices but not stated on the box or manual, that is a problem. If the company states that every new device has them, we know which companies and products to avoid. If the company makes clear (on the box, no matter how small the print, etc) that the device contains data gathering technology, that is well and good, but if it doesn't, that is even more sinister because we will never know or we will have to dig to find out.

How can they think anyone would even want this type of thing?

Oh, yeah, people will easily give up their privacy for convenience. If they can get personally targeted marketing, many people like that, because they are so wrapped up into modern technology and personal entertainment and media, that anything that helps this stuff fall right into their lap with little effort on their part is embraced..
edit on 1-1-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Yes. Now if 'they' wanted they could tell you what time you woke up, what you had for breakfast, where you work, every where you been that whole day, how much money you spent and what you have said. Who your friends are and your interests are.

Youre about as free as a hamster in a cage. The hamster probably thinks its free etc.. but to someone looking from outside they know its caged.

Theres good and bad points to a monitored freedom.

In the olden days some criminals were let loose but tagged, to monitor them...now all they have to do is give them a mobile phone...and they wont be any wiser

This could be an exageration but who knows. We know governments are far ahead of rest of us in terms of technology. If the public have access to google earth, imagine what the people at government level and above have access to.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by svmpua

How can this be beneficial? It's an invasion of privacy - simple as that.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tonytrout1976

I suspect it will be introduced to consumers in trade for reduced, or possibly free services. Sign off on the terms and conditions and you get free TV, games, movies, etc. What a deal!

Of course, you give up your privacy in the process. But, if you have nothing to hide...

Block operation of the device, and your free stuff stops working.

Based on what I've seen happen with Facebook, I can see a lot of people signing up for this.

I will not be one of them.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

And knowing the manufacturers, your t.v. won't work unless the camera is not obstructed.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That won't work for two reasons. First, as the article said, there is already technology to transform simple household devices like LED lights into surveillance devices. It would not be easy to avoid them. Second, even if you do manage to avoid current snooping devices, there will certainly come a time (probably happened years ago, actually) when the technology no longer requires specific devices and can simply map you in 3D real time.

The solution requires constant civic involvement. Eternal vigilance - this technology is inevitable, so we need to start working on ways to peacibly regulate it. Maybe there is no solution. It's a scary thought, knowing that the very concept of privacy will one day be nothing but a fading memory.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

man oh man. if you really knew what was going on. lets just say they have created also a horde of people hypnotized as well. they also train them in hypnosis as well. i call it the Christan hypo sex cults. trust me i am not making this up. they hypnotized my now ex wife. and basically all my family members. and i even met with the feds who tried to hypo me.(when trying they told me it was god ) and they told me they where setting up to take over a growing town i was in. Bolivia NC. i was told this before he found out i was more powerful then him.
trust me if your worried about protecting yourself. i can not stress enuf. 1 learn how not to be hypnotized. 2 learn how to keep yourself from falling pray to there women. see they keep everyone looking away from there real program. its mass control thru hypno. and group control thru. feeding there needs,, as i was told friends and family. they will destroy your life if they want you to become dependent on them. be strong never forget who does what to who. and if you hear the phrase go with the flow. odds are high your in there company.

PS: yes they send women after you if thats what you like. to control you,, as i am a guy.

Dragon

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

I just hope there is disclosure about these technologies in said specific devices, that way one can choose to not purchase. If they are built in to the devices but not stated on the box or manual, that is a problem. If the company states that every new device has them, we know which companies and products to avoid. If the company makes clear (on the box, no matter how small the print, etc) that the device contains data gathering technology, that is well and good, but if it doesn't, that is even more sinister because we will never know or we will have to dig to find out.

How can they think anyone would even want this type of thing?

Oh, yeah, people will easily give up their privacy for convenience. If they can get personally targeted marketing, many people like that, because they are so wrapped up into modern technology and personal entertainment and media, that anything that helps this stuff fall right into their lap with little effort on their part is embraced..
edit on 1-1-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

I dont really think its a matter of company's. Sure this technoligy helps them BUT the main reasons its in every new house appliance is Govt not company's.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Give a man a fishe he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. Give him a fishing rod with builtin gps and wifi and u can track and advertise and protect him til eternity

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join