It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Spirit in New Age?.. .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What do you think it means?.. .And could 1 blaspheme against it perhaps unknowingly?.. .

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
What do you mean the holy spirit in the new age?? If you could explain further it would be great. Thanks

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well there are people who link Jesus to New Age beliefs,while I am not exactly a new ager or a christian,I am interested in what is the Holy Spirit.. .I guess I just want to make sure I did not blaspheme or anything like that just incase.. .Well,I don't know if there is such thing as Holy Spirit in New Age beliefs,but.. .iirc I read some new age comments about Holy Spirit.. .

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Give me minute to compose my reply, please. This is awesome. Hang on

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
From the book of john. Jesus promises another helper. 14:15-18
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Helper, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Jesus and the Father sent the spirit,just as the Father sent the son.The Holy Spirit is also a divine member of the Holy Trinity. As such, he was active in the creation of the earth.(Gen 1:2) The spirits involvement in the creation establishes His deity, but scripture also portrays the spirit as participating in other divine activities:regeneration (john 3:5-8), saving (Titus 3:5),inspiring the bible (2 Timothy 3:16), and equal association with the Father and Son in evangelism(matt 28:19)
Continued..
edit on 1-1-2013 by bo12au because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The gift of Peace John 14:25-31
These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Helper, which is the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I am going away, and coming back unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.
14:26 teach you all things. In Jesus's absence.remembrance. Of what Jesus thought them while on the earth.Validates the accuracy of Johns gospel,based on his memory of what Jesus said.
Continued...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The work of the Holy Spirit John 16:5-15 (pay attention here)

5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?

6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Helper will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Holy Spirit guides our understanding of Bible prophecies.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
New age mentioned here
The Promised Spirit We were intended to be dwelling places of the Holy Spirit (see 1 Cor. 3:16). Adam and Eve's sin separated them from both the Garden and the indwelling Spirit. That separation continues—the enormity of wickedness before the Flood led God to declare, "'My Spirit shall not strive with man forever'" (Gen. 6:3).

In Old Testament times the Spirit equipped certain individuals to perform special tasks (Num. 24:2; Judges 6:34; 1 Sam. 10:6). At times He is "in" persons (Ex. 31:3; Isa. 63:11). Undoubtedly genuine believers have always had an awareness of His presence, but prophecy predicted a pouring out of the Spirit "'on all flesh'" (Joel 2:28)—a time when a greater manifestation of the Spirit would usher in a new age.

While the world remained in the hands of the usurper, the pouring out of the fullness of the Spirit had to wait. Before the Spirit could be poured out upon all flesh Christ must carry out His earthly ministry and make the atoning sacrifice. Pointing to Christ's ministry as a Spirit ministry, John the Baptist said, "'I indeed baptize you with water'" but He "'will baptize you with the Holy Spirit'" (Matt. 3:11).

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
www.sdanet.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.sdanet.org...His Mission for Believers. The majority of texts concerning the Holy Spirit pertain to His relationship with God's people. His sanctifying influence leads to obedience (1 Peter 1:2), but no one continues to experience His abiding presence without meeting certain conditions. Peter said God has given the Spirit to those who continuously obey Him (Acts 5:32).1 Thus, believers are warned about resisting, grieving, and quenching the Spirit (Acts 7:51; Eph. 4:30; 1 Thess. 5:19).

What does the Spirit do for believers?

1. He assists believers. When introducing the Holy Spirit, Christ called Him "'another Parakletos'" (John 14:16). This Greek word has been translated as "Helper" (NKJV), "Comforter" (KJV), "Counselor" (RSV), and can mean also "Intercessor," "Mediator," or "Advocate."

The only other Parakletos mentioned in Scripture is Christ Himself. He is our Advocate or Intercessor before the Father. "My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" (1 John 2:1).

As Intercessor, Mediator, and Helper, Christ presents us to God and reveals God to us. Similarly, the Spirit guides us to Christ and manifests Christ's grace to us. This explains why the Spirit is called the "Spirit of grace" (Heb. 10:29).

One of His greatest contributions is the application of Christ's redeeming grace to people (see 1 Cor. 15:10; 2 Cor. 9:14; James 4:5, 6).

2. He brings the truth of Christ. Christ called the Holy Spirit the "'Spirit of truth'" (John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13). His functions include bringing "'to your remembrance all things that I said to you'" (John 14:26) and guiding "'you into all truth'" (John 16:13). His message testifies to Jesus Christ (John 15:26). "'He will not speak on His own authority, '" Christ said, "'but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you'" (John 16:13, 14).

3. He brings the presence of Christ. Not only does He bring the message about Christ, He brings the very presence of Christ. Jesus said, "'It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper [Holy Spirit, John 14:16, 17] will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you'" (John 16:7).

Cumbered with humanity, the Man Jesus was not omnipresent, which was why it was expedient that He depart. Through the Spirit He could be everywhere all the time. Jesus said, "'I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of truth.'" He gave the assurance that the Spirit was to dwell "'with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you'" (John 14:17, 18). "The Holy Spirit is Christ's representative, but divested of the personality of humanity, and independent thereof."2

At the incarnation the Holy Spirit brought the presence of Christ to a person—Mary. At Pentecost, the Spirit brought the victorious Christ to the world. Christ's promises—"'I will never leave you nor forsake you'" (Heb. 13:5) and "'I am with you always, even to the end of the age'" (Matt. 28:20)—are realized through the Spirit. For this reason the New Testament gives the Spirit a title never used of Him in the Old Testament—"the Spirit of Jesus" (Phil. 1:19).

Just as it is through the Spirit that both the Father and the Son make believers Their home (John 14:23), so the only way believers can abide in Christ is through the Spirit.

4. He guides the operation of the church. Since the Holy Spirit brings the very presence of Christ, He is the true Vicar of Christ on earth. As the abiding center of authority in matters of faith and doctrine the ways in which He leads the church accord fully with the Bible. "The distinctive feature of Protestantism—without which there would be no Protestantism—is that the Holy Spirit is the true vicar or successor of Christ on earth. To depend on organization, or leaders, or wisdom of men, is to put the human in place of the divine."3

The Holy Spirit was intimately involved in administrating the apostolic church. In selecting missionaries the church obtained His guidance through prayer and fasting (Acts 13:1-4). The individuals selected were known for their openness to the Spirit's leading. The book of Acts

describes them as "filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 13:9, cf. 52). Their activities were under His control (Acts 16:6, 7). Paul reminded church elders that they had been put into their position by the Holy Spirit (Acts 20:28).

The Holy Spirit played an important role in resolving serious difficulties that threatened the unity of the church. Indeed, Scripture introduces the decisions of the first church council with the words "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us. . ." (Acts 15:28).

5. He equips

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
5. He equips the church with special gifts. The Holy Spirit has bestowed special gifts on God's people. In Old Testament times "the Spirit of the Lord" came "upon" individuals, giving them extraordinary powers to lead and deliver Israel (Judges 3:10; 6:34; 11:29; etc.) and the ability to prophesy (Num. 11:17, 25, 26; 2 Sam. 23:2). The Spirit came upon Saul and David when they were anointed as rulers of God's people (1 Sam. 10:6, 10; 16:13). To some people, the infilling of the Spirit brought unique artistic skills (Ex. 28:3; 31:3; 35:30-35).

In the early church, as well, it was through the Holy Spirit that Christ bestowed His gifts on the church. The Spirit distributed these spiritual gifts to believers as He saw fit, thus benefiting the whole church (Acts 2:38; 1 Cor. 12:7-11). He provided the special power necessary for proclaiming the gospel to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8; see chapter 16 of this book).

6. He fills the heart of believers. Paul's query to the disciples at Ephesus, "'Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?'" (Acts 19:2), is a crucial question for every believer.

When Paul received a negative reply he laid hands on those disciples, and they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:6).

This incident indicates that the conviction of sin brought about by the Holy Spirit and the Spirit's infilling of the life are two different experiences.

Jesus pointed out the necessity of being born of water and of the Spirit (John 3:5). Just before His ascension He commanded new believers to be baptized "'in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit'" (Matt. 28:19). In harmony with this command Peter preached that "'the gift of the Holy Spirit'" is to be received at baptism (Acts 2:38). And Paul confirms the importance of the baptism of the Holy Spirit (see chapter 14 of this book) with an urgent appeal that believers "be filled with the Spirit" (Eph. 5:18).

The infilling of the Holy Spirit, transforming us into the image of God, continues the work of sanctification begun at the new birth. God has saved us according to His mercy "through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour" (Titus 3:5, 6).

"It is the absence of the Spirit that makes the gospel ministry so powerless.

Learning, talent, eloquence, every natural or acquired endowment may be possessed; but, without the presence of the Spirit of God, no heart will be touched, no sinner won to Christ. On the other hand, if they are connected with Christ, if the gifts of the Spirit are theirs, the poorest and most ignorant of His disciples will have a power that will tell upon hearts. God makes them channels for the outflowing of the highest influence in the universe."4

The Spirit is vital. All of the changes Jesus Christ effects in us come through the ministry of the Spirit. As believers we should be constantly aware that without the Spirit we can accomplish nothing (John 15:5).

Today the Holy Spirit directs our attention to the greatest gift of love God proffers in His Son. He pleads that we not resist His appeals, but accept the only way whereby we can be reconciled to our loving and gracious Father.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Hope this helps. Peace

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Far out guy, he asked a simple question and you try to convert him.

"Is it hot out, I don't want to get burnt."

"Well first let me tell you about the hydrogen atom."

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Far out guy, he asked a simple question and you try to convert him.

"Is it hot out, I don't want to get burnt."

"Well first let me tell you about the hydrogen atom."

He asked a question, I gave him the answer. And it is not a simple question as you say.
edit on 1-1-2013 by bo12au because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
"Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is the only unforgiveable sin, but you have to be in that state when you die for it to be unforgiveable. It means rejecting Christ. If you reject Christ your whole life, and then accept him in your last five minutes, there's no blasphemy to be forgiven. Make sense?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Can you provide scripture evidence for your claims please. Thanks

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

Well, that'll teach me to listen to humans...
Permanently rejecting Christ isn't the same as "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" even if it won't be forgiven. BATHS (nice acronym) means only one thing: attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. It requires seeing a miracle performed by the Holy Spirit's power through Christ and then denying that it was the Holy Spirit. Since there haven't really been any miracles lately, nobody even can commit it until Jesus' return; that's why he said "Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." That "this age" is still going on, but Jesus isn't back yet ("the age to come"), so nobody can commit BATHS until he comes back. Plays rather well into the Antichrist's hands; he's gonna perform miracles too, and those who say his miracles are the work of Satan will be accused of BATHS (even though they will be satanic miracles). Confusing times are ahead. Right at the door. No wonder it's a mess making sense out of issues like this...

Interesting side note: The Disciple Paul admitted to having commited BATHS himself more than once (1 Tim 1:13) but "I obtained mercy because I had acted out of ignorance in unbelief." So apparently, it's only unforgiveable if you're already a follower of Christ.
edit on 1/2/2013 by Thought Provoker because: Interesting side note.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

If there's one thing I do know, though, you cannot commit any sin unknowingly. You have to have wanted to do it, chosen to do it. So worry not about accidental sins...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
]..my reply is in the works, one min please.
edit on 2-1-2013 by bo12au because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2013 by bo12au because: apologies

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thought Provoker
"Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is the only unforgiveable sin, but you have to be in that state when you die for it to be unforgiveable. It means rejecting Christ. If you reject Christ your whole life, and then accept him in your last five minutes, there's no blasphemy to be forgiven. Make sense?

I had a bumpersticker years ago that went something like this.
Many who plan to seek God at the 11th hour die at 10:30.
How do you plan to accept Him in the last five minutes of your life?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
I had a bumpersticker years ago that went something like this.
Many who plan to seek God at the 11th hour die at 10:30.
How do you plan to accept Him in the last five minutes of your life?

I imagine only someone on death row would be able to plan such a thing. But simply planning to seek God is seeking God. If someone wants to accept Christ, it only takes a moment. You don't need a preacher or priest or bishop to accept Christ. If you fall off a cliff and think in your heart "I'm yours, Jesus!" on the way down, that's all it takes (if you really meant it). No "good deeds" are required. But such a person already wanted Jesus, and so they already had him; otherwise they're just trying to save their eternal soul, which won't actually save them. Know what I mean?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join