It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: At Least 84 Die In Thai Riot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
84 people died after a riot in Muslim-dominated southern Thailand. More than 1300 Muslims got arrested and packed tightly into trucks. Many of them got crushed or suffocated.

www.cnn.com
At least 78 people were suffocated or crushed to death after being arrested and packed into police trucks after a riot in southern Thailand, officials said Tuesday.

Officials had earlier said that six people were shot to death during clashes Monday at a police station in Narathiwat province.

The dead were among some 1,300 people arrested Monday following the police station riot.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A team of doctors conducted autopsies on the bodies at an army camp. They found that most of them had died from suffocation. The riot started when about 2000 Muslims were demonstrating outside a police station. They demanded the release of six detained men.

There have been a lot of unrest in the Muslim-dominated provinces in southern parts of Thailand.

[edit on 2004/10/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the post Hellmutt, i'm heading there in Febuary.

-raven

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012
Thanks for the post Hellmutt, i'm heading there in Febuary.

-raven

I hope you�re not going there to demonstrate...
Are you going to the south?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The religion of peace shows its true colors once again. The men who are being detained by the police are suspected of stealing weapons from the local National Defence Force. The NDF is a paramilitary orginization funded and trained by the government of Thailand.
I will only point out that the Islomfacist are a threat to the entire world and the communist in Thailand are fighting this.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   

no no, just backpacking. i will be in the south though.

-raven

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012

no no, just backpacking. i will be in the south though.
-raven

Be extremely careful, raven. There have been ALOT of unrest in the south for a long time. At times they have been warning residents (in Scandinavia at least) to NOT go to Thailand at all because of this.

BTW, I heard they want independence in the south.
They want to have their own muslim state down there.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Be extremely careful, raven

thanks hellmutt, been there before though, i know there's always some kind of risk but most of what we hear about is blown out of proportion.

-raven

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
And now a bomb have gone off...
BBC: Bomb hits S Thai tourist town

"A bomb has exploded in a town in south Thailand, killing one person and injuring at least 20, reports say.
The explosion took place in the Muslim-dominated province of Narathiwat,

Many of those hurt in Thursday's explosion are said to have been in or near a bar in the centre of Sungai Ko-lok, a town frequented by tourists

A separatist rebel group opposed to Bangkok's rule in southern Thailand, the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (Pulo), had earlier vowed to avenge the protesters' deaths.

"They will pay for what they have done, their cities will burn," said a statement posted on the group's website."

[edit on 2004/10/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
BBC: In pictures: Thai protesters mourned (Warning: Graphic content)

"As confirmation of the high death toll spread throughout Thailand's Muslim community, there were fears that the incident could trigger yet more violence."

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

From Official beheaded in deaths revenge

POLICE were searching today for the body of a local official who was beheaded by suspected Muslim insurgents as revenge for the deaths of 85 rioters in southern Thailand last week, officials said.

The head of Jaran Torae, an assistant village leader, was found on a roadside early today with a letter attached saying the killers were avenging the deaths of Muslim rioters in a confrontation with government forces, according to police Lieutenant Krit Boonyarith.

"This is revenge for the innocent Muslim youths who were massacred at the Tak Bai protest," the handwritten letter reportedly said. Jaran, 58, a Muslim official in Sukhirin district of Narathiwat province, went missing late last night, the police officer said.

Click on the link for the full article...

new topics

top topics

join