It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agreement in Principle to Avert Fiscal Cliff Reached

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE TO AVERT FISCAL CLIFF REACHED

firstread.nbcnews.com

Updated at 9:46 p.m. -- An agreement in principle to avert broad tax increases and spending cuts appeared imminent Monday night.

A senior Democratic source told NBC News that an accord had been reached. A senior GOP source said it "looks good" and that the outcome in the Senate would be clearer after Vice President Joe Biden conferred with Senate Democrats. Biden arrived at the Capitol to meet with Democratic senators Monday night.

Although a Senate vote later Monday night was possible, it’s not clear how an accord would fare in the House.

The interim New Year’s Eve tax de
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Mon Dec 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ALL CAPS title

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I dont know if we have a story on this for ATS yet. I searched but foudn nothing. There were two headlines on nbcnews for this. The title I posted which is front page link on nbcnews.com and this when you click the link

"Deal to avert fiscal cliff appears within reach"

This is an updated article. And on msnbc they have a headline also stating a vote could happen tonight.

My question is, what's the point if the house has already convened for the year? We're still going over the cliff... whatever that means....

firstread.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A government we can count on! /sarcasm
edit on 12/31/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
A government we can count on! /sarcasm
edit on 12/31/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

I dont think writing "sarcasm" was needed. lol

Biden apparently just concluded meeting with the senate democrats. More info as it comes in
edit on 31-12-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
One thing to note, there is no debt ceiling fix. Obama said he would insist on that... Turns out not to be in there. Seems like the deal is those under 450,000 a year will be safe from a tax hike. So thats roughly 98% of Americans.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

A Senate vote on the package could be held by the midnight deadline, Democratic aides said. The Republican-controlled House will begin considering the bill on Tuesday, with a final vote expected in the next day or two.

Nice they can make loopholes whenever necessary.

Washington Post

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm confused... Is there an actual agreement or not?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it. They have been close to an agreement for months, but nothing has come of it. Close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
I'm confused... Is there an actual agreement or not?

Seems like there is between Biden and Senate republicans. So it seems there is an agreement. And may pass in the senate tonight.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Why wait to the last minute? That is so Hollywood scriptlike.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So.. basically..they've been yanking everyone's chain and pretty well could have solved this on any 1 day for the whole period leading to this.

You know, I don't think the politicians of both sides realize ...just how deeply they piss us all off with this. I, for one, have had about all I can take of this "endless crisis" B.S.. I want a return to the days of Bill Clinton and the Presidents before him where the goal was NOT to create anxiety issues among the public and a happy populace was the POINT not the problem to be solved.

Now? I swear, if there is indication the general public is feeling the least bit decent on anything, there is another crisis of some form cooked up in very short order to make sure that is a temporary situation. The more stressed and generally frazzled the entire population, the HAPPIER Congress and the White House seem, regardless of personal politics.

Enough. Enough. Enough. We need to elect people who want a happy populace again. This perpetual crisis reality has as much to do with things like CT, Aurora and other cases of people just snapping and going postal with little explanation as ANYTHING else going on. For many, it's now 12 straight years of this crisis mode every damn day. Really... Enough?
edit on 31-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Agreed. They have had two years to get this done. they are either the laziest sob's in the world. Or they have a flair for the dramatics...

I'd go with both.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

They all hail from my home country.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Ahh thats perfect!

Thank you for that laugh

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Latest is they are waiting for the CBO to score this. A vote tonight depends on how long it takes to finish writing up and how long it takes to score.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Basically means that regardless of the details in this proposed deal.. We're still going over the cliff .. but only for a couple of days which means there won't be any real impact from "going over" ... but this is supposedly only a temporary deal that buys another couple of months.. I believe this takes us to March.

So this isn't over

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This poo sandwich is dead on arrival as soon as it hits the house. Not going anywhere thank God.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

Can you source that? Why is it a poo sandwhich as well?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by 11235813213455

Can you source that? Why is it a poo sandwhich as well?

Source poo sandwich? No, your kind on your own to figure that one out. I tend to avoid explanations where the hand holding is burdensome.

As far as the as DOA in the house.. Well.. Take a look at the makeup of the House and it's fate becomes self evident. No sourcing necessary but I'm sure if you use the googles you can find some on your own.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This whole thing is just a show. The arguing between the parties is not that real, everyone in congress knows taxes have to go up and spending down. They know that the national debt cannot be paid with our current industrial base, they know that they messed up allowing free trade. They listened to the big corporate leaders. They tried to please the voters. They forgot to be rational with giving money away for pet projects. What were they thinking?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join