It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telephone landlines a thing of the past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Research by handset maker Nokia shows that more and more people are using their mobile phone for every call they make or take.

We really are beginning to live our lives by mobile technolgy, with wireless internet technology storming along and with mobil call charges falling every month could landlines be a thing of the past?

news.bbc.co.uk...

I am also one of those people that rarely uses my home land line, in fact I only had one installed when I chose to get broadband internet access and that was because it was thrown in as part of the deal.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
My wife and I have no landline. We both have separate mobile phone plans to fit our usage. I�m pay as you go (I only spend about $15.00 a month on average) and she uses a local area unlimited minutes plan. We�ve never missed the landline. No telemarketers calling us at dinnertime, no missing important calls because we were not home.

It�s definitively the wave of the future.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Landlines really are going to end up going the way of the dinosaurs. Myself as well as quite a few other people I know only have a landline because they need it for their internet access (DSL & dialup). In Australia a mobile to landline call is still pretty expensive but there are probably alot of people in the same boat as me who only make 30sec calls to other landlines to call in sick for work, organise to meet up with a mate etc...

I pay $30/month on the landline for line rental + silent number...and only make $5 worth of calls. It's ridiculous.

E_T

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Unless they can develop revolutionary solution for transfer data wirelessly landlines aren't going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hmm interesting thread here....I can see the arguement about being able to send DATA wirelessly, and its starting to happen, ok at the moment we might not be able to send alot a great distance but its the start of something great.....Landlines......Goodbye....

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Personally I wouldn't want to replace my land line with my cell phone. Maybe it's because I have had my cell run out of batteries too many times and the type I have has to be turned off while charging it. I would be too stressed out that an emergency call would come in while I was recharging the battery.

Unless they have a way to have multiple phones with the same cell phone number a cell phone cannot replace land lines completely. My house is not huge, but it's 3,000 square feet and there is no way I could hear my cell ringing from one area of the house to the other. I would have to carry it with me wherever I went in the house and with 4 children that's impossible. I don't see myself as the type that would wear a cell phone like an accessory and prefer to keep it in my purse or car.

I also don't like the idea of giving my cell phone number to banks, credit card companies, etc. Although you don't get telemarketing calls on cell phones, if you are doing business with a company they can call you with their offers and that is not considered telemarketing.

I'll keep my landline as long as I can and would be really disappointed if I had to get rid of it.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
One thing that is for sure is that people are no longer getting 2-3 phone lines in their homes like we were seeing in the 90's. As a matter of fact one local government is talking about adding a cable TV tax to make up for the lost land line tax in WA. Another case of greedy government shooting itself in the foot as taxes on second lines often made up half the cost of the second line which for me was a good reason to drop mine.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by outsider]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Actual landlines COULD be a thing of the past. Currently, my house is no longer using the landline for our phones. We use our cable line for TV, Internet and Telephone services. My cable provider is Cablevision and we have their Optimum Online and Optimum Voice services (with basic cable/premium TV). It is worth it and we save money that if we still had our regular landline going.

The wave of the future will hit us soon. I think we all should try to embrace it.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I haven't had a land line in 3 years. I only use pay as you go and my monthly bill is half of what it was.

I also registered the phone as Rusty Shackleford so I get a real chuckle everytime the cell company sends me junk mail.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The reasons I keep my landline are:

1) In case of another blackout, which is not an impossibility, the landline will still work, because there are backup batteries and other things like backup generators at crucial switches and stations. If I'm snowed in for 3 days or so, it would be a good idea to have some link to the world outside.
I actually have one corded phone in my house just for that reason (cordless phones will shut down too, w/o electricity)

2) Landline allows two people in the same house to share a conversation with third party w/o the hassle of a conference call. Likewise, I have 3 phones in my house (on the same line) so I don't have to rush upstairs every time there is a call.

3) The cell phone reception in my area isn't that great.

4) A babysitter can accidentally leave her cellphone off, now what would
you do if you are on vacation in Vegas???

5) Guests from Europe staying at my place do not have compatible
cellphones, and they would like to stay in touch as well

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
In response to #1 : Most cell phone batteries last 3 days, some last up to a week

In resonse to # 2 : Conference calls are not that hard to do

In response to #3 : They do need to work on that but my reception is great!

In response to # 4 : If its any kind of babysitter , they would not leave it off and there is voice mail to leave a message.

In response to # 5 : How often do the majority of Americans have Europe guests. They have cell phones they can rent.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Did anyone even think about people other then themselves? What about small business? I don't want to get calls about my work when I'm not there or not open. I get out of work for a reason, and its nice to get a large book every two years where people can look up the number to call.

For all you cell users, you better hope land lines stick around. Once they are gone, you can almost be sure that there will be some sort of cellular phone directory.

Someone said something about cell phones lasting 3 days to a week... now is that talk time? no, most likly not. When I had my cell, I was supposed to get a 12 hour talk time. On a full charge I was able to get about 3 hours of acctual talk time.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Reliability is something that will keep landlines around for a long long time. I don't know a single cell phone that can actually do what its manufactuer claims in regards to batteries; you may get 3 days of standby but only like 45 minutes of talking if your lucky. While many may be switching to cellphones, those of low income cant really afford it (ever asked what a person with no credit history has to pay for a deposit? $800+) so a 35$ a month landline is alot cheaper and affordable.

join