Very informative and interesting study on Gun Violence in US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Last stats the FBI put out showed crime rate dropping when gun ownership rising....
Florida has the oldest CCW program...why not get some stats from that state?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
The problem is people's COMPLACENCY.

"The government gives me $250 for free... why should I work 40 hours a week for $350?"

THAT is the problem with this country. Not gun crime.

People don't want to get off their asses and actually DO anything...

That is the fault of the high competition for jobs, and the low wages paid because of it.

Stop blaming people who are victims of crony capitalism (not that capitalism is ever not crony).

Capitalists love unemployment, it gives them more power over labour.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

People don't want to get off their asses and actually DO anything...

Then why does the country have a 95% employment rate?

Your mentality is just not correct.

If you believe this country only has a 5% unemployment rate, then this argument is going to hit a brick wall very quickly.

I will choose to avoid that path.

From the Horses mouth:

Unemployment

7.7% last month. And that is *their* numbers. C'mon... you really think 92.3 out of 100 people have a job right now? Please...

Edit: "That is the fault of the high competition for jobs, and the low wages paid because of it.

Stop blaming people who are victims of crony capitalism (not that capitalism is ever not crony).

Capitalists love unemployment, it gives them more power over labour."

Minimum wage in DC:

Minimum wage for entire USA

is $8.25 / hour. That's the $350 / week I was referring to.

We can do this all night...

$350 a week is plenty for one person. If people want to start having 3 kids and bitching about minimum wage, they should have thought of that before having the kids.
edit on 31-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Last stats the FBI put out showed crime rate dropping when gun ownership rising....

And an increase of gun ownership doesn't have anything to do with the crime rate dropping. NYC has some of the toughest gun laws and the lowest gun crime rate and gun homicides of the big cities.

www.nydailynews.com...
edit on 31-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Where ya at OP????? Nothing to say? Is it because you created a thread that you knew you couldn't back it up??

I know a good doctor if you need to get your foot out of your mouth!

kk, I get it, stir up the hornets nest and run away aye?
edit on 31-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

Better yet! I have never had an actual debate/duel on ATS, so if you feel froggy let me know, so I can debate you on your fake numbers and theorys....The invitation is out there for ya so just U2U me if you want to set it up with a MOD!!!
edit on 31-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

It has an employment rate somewhere into the 90%, everyone I know has a job right now. And if they became unemployed they were able to find a new one. Mcdonalds is always hiring.

Welfare has a 5 year lifetime limit that you can stay on it at the federal level. The only program that doesn't have a time limit is foodstamps. So you're going to have to get a job eventually...

$350 a week is plenty for one person. If people want to start having 3 kids and bitching about minimum wage, they should have thought of that before having the kids.

It's no long $350 after taxes. And even if there is one person, by the time you pay your rent, car insurance, gas, utilities, food, medical expenses, and everything else. That's really not enough for one person.

This is why so many people that work minimum wage jobs are on government assistance programs.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It has an employment rate somewhere into the 90%, everyone I know has a job right now. And if they became unemployed they were able to find a new one. Mcdonalds is always hiring.

Welfare has a 5 year lifetime limit that you can stay on it at the federal level. The only program that doesn't have a time limit is foodstamps. So you're going to have to get a job eventually...

Wrong again.

You can get up to $2,500 per child in EIC on your taxes every year. If you have a crappy 2 bedroom in the PJ's, you will be paying about $500/month. That's $6,000 pear year in rent.

A lot of people used to have 4 kids... and then ride their tax money, welfare, and foodstamps. Throw in Section 8 leasing for 1/2 rent and free utilities, and some people living off the government tit are doing better than either you or I.

Where do you live by chance? I only ask because it surprises me you haven't seen these situations...

You edited your post so I'm responding:

"$350 after taxes isn't enough..."

OK, so you pay 15% in taxes. Let's say you lose $45. Now you have $305. That is $1,220 per month. How much are you spending on your insurance, food, utilities, etc?

Because if rent for a one bedroom is $600/month, you still have a hefty amount left for odds and ends. And water/gas are usually paid for, it's just electricity in apartments.

I hate that "minimum wage isn't enough" attitude. Then work your ass up from minimum wage and start going for better positions. 90% of Fortune 500 companies promote from the inside, from the ground up.

At UPS, everyone starts by throwing boxes.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

You can get up to $2,500 per child in EIC on your taxes every year. If you have a crappy 2 bedroom in the PJ's, you will be paying about $500/month. That's $6,000 pear year in rent.

Tax credits are not welfare. Welfare is a specific federal assistance program.

In passing the landmark welfare reforms of 1996, Congress set a strict, five-year lifetime limit on cash payments from the federal government, arguing that the loss of benefits was the only way to motivate poor parents to get jobs

Read more: www.sfgate.com...

A lot of people used to have 4 kids... and then ride their tax money, welfare, and foodstamps. Throw in Section 8 leasing for 1/2 rent and free utilities, and some people living off the government tit are doing better than either you or I.

Anyone that says this has no idea what they are talking about.
lol, honestly just lol. 99% of the people on section 8 live in a complete hell hole on Earth.

Where do you live by chance? I only ask because it surprises me you haven't seen these situations...

I lived in a section 8 neighborhood for years. Those guys live awfully. This is why I know so much about welfare programs.

I hate that "minimum wage isn't enough" attitude. Then work your ass up from minimum wage and start going for better positions. 90% of Fortune 500 companies promote from the inside, from the ground up.

I hate your elitist attitude. If you haven't noticed the US has an ever decreasing wage earning potential and a decrease in "good" jobs. The middle class is dying due to this. All of this while the cost of living increases.

Incomes for 90% of Americans have been stuck in neutral, and it's not just because of the Great Recession. Middle-class incomes have been stagnant for at least a generation, while the wealthiest tier has surged ahead at lighting speed.

In 1988, the income of an average American taxpayer was $33,400, adjusted for inflation. Fast forward 20 years, and not much had changed: The average income was still just $33,000 in 2008, according to IRS data.

Meanwhile, the richest 1% of Americans -- those making $380,000 or more -- have seen their incomes grow 33% over the last 20 years, leaving average Americans in the dust

money.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You must live in that special place where there are jobs and people are nice and rent is cheap and it never rains and everyone that works hard is guaranteed a better future.

Where is this magical place you call the PJ's? Let's go, we can all work at Macy's, I hear they give jobs away.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Tax credits are not welfare. Welfare is a specific federal assistance program.

lol, honestly just lol. 99% of the people on section 8 live in a complete hell hole on Earth. Anyone that says this has no idea what they are talking about.

I lived in a section 8 neighborhood for years. Those guys live awfully.

I hate your elitist attitude. If you haven't noticed the US has an ever decreasing wage earning potential and a decrease in "good" jobs. The middle class is dying due to this.

I never said that EIC was welfare, I specifically listed them individually.

The middle class is dying due to outsourcing of production jobs in the USA. Plain and simple.

Start putting forward more concrete arguments, please. For the sake of the thread.

Edit: Oh here you guys go with that 99% Bull$#!% again. I grew up in one of THE poorest and THE most violent cities in the entire United States. I've been homeless, I joined the military to get away.

I don't know what fairy tale story you are expecting from life, but you have to work hard to get ahead unless you are one of the fortunate few.

When I was 17 I worked at Chik-Fil-A with a couple of friends. One of them stayed behind and has been with the company for 15 years or so now...

He now owns his own store and makes more than I do these days. He started as a 15 year old black kid working 15 hours a week.

What do you expect? To walk into an interview for a 100k job off the street? Talk about "entitlement issues..."

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Start putting forward more concrete arguments, please. For the sake of the thread

All of my arguments are based on facts, yours are based off some anecdotal fantasy that you never lived.

The middle class is dying due to outsourcing of production jobs in the USA. Plain and simple.

Yet you're proclaiming people should work up their way to a good job.

Cognitive Dissonance.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Start putting forward more concrete arguments, please. For the sake of the thread.

What thread? The OP has abandoned it. (as they normally do).........

Start your own thread and at least stand up for your post rather than run away from it as political troll threads often end up......

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

It's really the working class...

In a book published in 2000, The Working Class Majority: America’s Best Kept Secret, State University of New York, Stony Brook, economist Michael Zweig argued that class should be defined in terms of control over one’s work. The working class has little control, capitalists have most control over their work and the work of others, and the middle class is either “in the middle” between labor and capital as managers, for example, or works as professionals, with a degree of autonomy and independence. Analyzing conditions for different occupations, he placed 62 percent of Americans in the working class.

www.inthesetimes.com...

You're right though, outsourcing is one of the major reasons for high unemployment, higher prices, and wages not keeping up with inflation. Welfare, disability, etc., has also not kept up with inflation. So in effect the already poor are getting steadily poorer. People get all up in arms about raising taxes, but people only grumble when prices go up and their income doesn't.

It really is not easy to get a job. These days you can be competing with someone with a collage degree for a job that doesn't require one. If you're a minority you're competing with all the none-minorities, who are statistically more likely to be chosen over a minority. So to be blunt if you're black and from the hood, or gay, or short, or fat, or Mexican, or just from the hood... So who is really to blame for people being on welfare? What is it that really causes people to have no desire to try? Rampant competition for jobs perhaps? What causes that? Isn't it obvious?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join