Very informative and interesting study on Gun Violence in US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is a fascinating article that I strongly encourage everyone here to read: www.theatlantic.com...

The highlights are that gun violence is strongly linked to education and political affiliation, but that gun laws seem to help lower gun violence as well. They found a strong correlation between voting for a Republican (McCain) and gun violence. Maybe we should ban conservatives instead of guns?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Few things I got out of this...

#1:

It is commonly assumed that mental illness or stress levels trigger gun violence. But that's not borne out at the state level. We found no statistical association between gun deaths and mental illness or stress levels.

I disagree. Alaska, Mississippi, D.C, and Louisiana top the list. I would think stress levels in Alaska are pretty fricking high, considering you live on a glacier and fight to survive.

And this survey was taken 2 years after Katrina, no wonder Louisiana and Mississippi are at the top of the list... I would bet stress levels were pretty high in LA and MS in 2007.

D.C. is another one of those "gun-free" zones... jeez, wonder why there is so much gun crime.

Lastly, they say poverty is the biggest factor (well, McCain #1, Poverty #2, working class #3)...

Living in poverty is pretty damned stressful...

The problem with statistics, is you can make them say anything you want them to.

This article is garbage.

*In my opinion*

I had to edit to add:

Quoted from OP - "but that gun laws seem to help lower gun violence as well..."

Then why the hell is D.C. at the top... in 2007, guns were ILLEGAL... hence, your statement is so wrong it's... almost amusing.
edit on 31-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Didn't you just post something like this, this morning????? You have been a member long enough and have been whacked many times for political trolling..................

Are you trolling again? Because as long as you have been a member of ATS, I think you would know better than to create such a minimal post.

BTW, your boy won, so I am really confused as to what you are up to here?????

Mods, seriously, look at the McCain statement alone.................

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is not a minimal post, and it's none of you business how many posts I write. Go troll somewhere else.

D.C. is another one of those "gun-free" zones... jeez, wonder why there is so much gun crime.

There's so much gun crime because DC is full of poor black people, it's not politically correct to say but it's reality.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I say let the thread go. It's at least an interesting twist on the gun debate.

I guess I'm just getting tired of people listing 15 quotes from our founding father mixed in with a sentence of their own or two and posting it.

This is at least a different view point

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Sorry, but when you make a comment that people who vote for John McCain are responsible for gun violence, and then you turn around and use the race card and say "poor black people" indeed you are politically trolling!

BTW, I do not like John McCain one damn bit!!!

Putting it up before you change what you wrote......

The highlights are that gun violence is strongly linked to education and political affiliation, but that gun laws seem to help lower gun violence as well. They found a strong correlation between voting for a Republican (McCain) and gun violence. Maybe we should ban conservatives instead of guns?

edit on 31-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
74% of homicides are 'Gang related". I doubt they are going to the voting booth and voting conservative!

Hey Slick, How many of these BS stories are you going to post?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-12-2012 by infolurker because: (no reason given)
edit on 31-12-2012 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Maybe we should ban anyone who has not served their country in the armed forces or is below the age of 12 from having an opinion on this? You Lib's always try to spew this dribble and then are the first ones to run for cover! Sometimes, I wish that you could "Really" see the world as it it is and not as you dream of it. Your post doesn't even merit a reply, but I am waiting on friends to arrive to celebrate 2013 and was bored and seen your 2 min. ago post. When will you kids understand that Dem's and Rep's are the same thing??? Seen a bumper sticker that said it best: "Same $hit different name!" No one in DC gives two cents about you or your ideas/opinions. they "ALL" are bought and paid for! Isn't it time for "Honey Boo Boo" or the "Kardashians" to come on? You should run along and watch to increase your IQ. Happy New Year! and may you someday see the world as it really is.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

By the way as Seeker already said; I have NO use for John McCain! He sold out his so called "Friends" in the "Hanoi Hilton" As CCR said in the song he was a "Fortunate son"

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

you make a comment that people who vote for John McCain are responsible for gun violence

Actually, what it said is that voting for McCain (R) is strongly correlated with gun violence (and voting for Obama is weakly correlated with shootings), meaning that people involved in shootings are more likely to be Republicans.

That is a scientific finding, if you don't like it that doesn't make it not true, and it does not make it trolling.

Oh, and I was in the Navy for 8 years. Not every single person who serves in the military worships guns as a religion.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

A total of 11 states require background checks for at least some gun purchases at gun shows. Seven of those states require background checks for all gun purchases, while four states require background checks for only handgun purchases.

The seven states requiring background checks for all purchases include:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island

The four states requiring background checks for only handgun purchases include:

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

In Florida, private firearms purchases are subject to background checks in some jurisdictions but not across the entire state. There are no laws regulating private firearms sales at gun shows in the remaining 33 states.

civilliberty.about.com...

edit on 31-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

you make a comment that people who vote for John McCain are responsible for gun violence

Actually, what it said is that voting for McCain (R) is strongly correlated with gun violence (and voting for Obama is weakly correlated with shootings), meaning that people involved in shootings are more likely to be Republicans.

That is a scientific finding, if you don't like it that doesn't make it not true, and it does not make it trolling.

Oh, and I was in the Navy for 8 years. Not every single person who serves in the military worships guns as a religion.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

Quoted from you:

"There's so much gun crime because DC is full of poor black people, it's not politically correct to say but it's reality."

But you say that voting for Obama means less gun crime...

I wonder how many of those "poor black people" voted for McCain...

The argument is invalid. And you are contradicting yourself in every post.

*edit to delete thoughts on your "8 years in the Navy"*

edit on 31-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That's one tiny area of the country, and it doesn't invalidate the study. Yes republican voters are more likely to be involved in shootings, but so are uneducated people and people in dead-end jobs, which probably covers a lot of those people in DC.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Tell me what is "scientific" about if please!! It seems to be a very misconstrued combobulation of nonsense! Then you go to say the "poor black people".

Well let me tell you something! No one has done more to victimize my black brothers/sisters as you progressives! What do you do to help them?????? Nothing!!! You blew your own OP by stating

There's so much gun crime because DC is full of poor black people, it's not politically correct to say but it's reality.

Did they vote for McCain??????? Did they vote Republican??? Your above quote, is enough to show me who is a racist and victimizing black folks instead of trying to help them! Why is it that your savior Obama and his administration, elevates the likes of Al Sharpton? I'll tell you why, "The biggest threat to those whom control us is peace!"!!!!

Those who are progressive do nothing more than use a persons skin color so that they can victimize them, when the day comes that those on the left actually do something to elevate my fellow human beings instead of using them, then and only then, can ANY political party say that they are for equality......

edit on 31-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

But the reality is DC is full of POOR people. It just happens that in America the majority of poor people are not white.

Poverty is the cause of the problem, not skin colour. Poor white people act the same way as poor black people.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

They found a strong correlation between voting for a Republican (McCain) and gun violence. Maybe we should ban conservatives instead of guns?

Booth,Hinkley,Loughner,Oswald weren't republicans.

Think bait threads should be banned.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The right wing commits the most acts of domestic terror and political motivated crime in the USA. Right wing extremists are more likely to be deadly and dangerous.

In the last several days, three events dramatically underscore a hard truth about domestic terrorism: nearly all of it originates with the extremist right wing.

"The START database on terrorism in America, which tracks all incidents of political violence, shows that most attacks in the last two decades have been on black churches, reproductive rights facilities, government offices, and individual minorities. And those have been committed mainly by right-wing extremists. From 1990 to 2009, START identified 275 "homicide events'' that killed 520 people and were committed by right-wing ideologues. There were many more incidents of destruction of property, nonfatal attacks, and other acts of thuggery by white supremacists, private militias, and the like."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Right-wing extremist terrorism as deadly a threat as al Qaeda?

The numbers in the New America Foundation database may well understate the toll of violence from right-wing extremists. Another FBI study reported that between January 1, 2007, and October 31, 2009, white supremacists were involved in 53 acts of violence, 40 of which were assaults directed primarily at African-Americans, seven of which were murders and the rest of which were threats, arson and intimidation. Most of these were treated as racially motivated crimes rather than political acts of violence, i.e. terrorism.

After 9/11, there was great concern that al Qaeda or an allied group would launch a terrorist attack involving chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear (CBRN) weapons. But in the past decade, there is no evidence that jihadist extremists in the United States have acquired or attempted to acquire material to construct CBRN weapons.

By contrast, 11 right-wing and left-wing extremists have managed to acquire CBRN material that they planned to use against the public, government employees or both.

Not included in those numbers were four elderly Georgia men who were arrested in November, accused of plotting to produce the deadly toxin ricin, which they wanted to throw out of a car window as they drove along a highways in the eastern and southern United States. The government says that one of the men, Frederick Thomas, was recorded by an informant as saying, "There is no way for us, as militiamen, to save this country, to save Georgia, without doing something that's highly, highly illegal: murder."

Right-wing extremist individuals over the past decade in the United States were as likely to use violence as a means to express their political or social beliefs as those motivated by Osama bin Laden's ideology. Even more worryingly, during the same time period, right-wing and left-wing extremist groups and individuals have been far more likely to acquire toxins and to assemble the makings of radiological weapons than al Qaeda sympathizers.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 31-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

And liberal entertainers overdose on drugs far more than conservative entertainers. So using scientific theory the liberal life style is destructive and dangerous,they cause the tax payers TRILLIONS more in the execution of their ideological pursuits and are extremely hostile to those who don't believe as they do bordering on KKK territory.
The liberals are ,as we speak, threatening the infra structure of our country with weakening policies,RAMPANT cronyism(It wouldn't be so bad if the appointees were competent) and we have you to enlighten us to the error of our ways.
Go get the money people who are responsable for 99.999 of our woes and get off our backs about this subject.
More Children died from unauthorized war actions of this president than from US gun violence .It is perhaps telling how he stated the report of the VA incident was the WORST DAY OF HIS PRESIDENCY. I guess the many who died fighting for us are not as important as 20 dead toddlers who were a maniacs work.

If CONFISCATION is attempted.there WILL be a great deal more dead laid at YOUR feet for trying it.

The guns STAY in our homes,that is all.
edit on 31-12-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That's one tiny area of the country, and it doesn't invalidate the study. Yes republican voters are more likely to be involved in shootings, but so are uneducated people and people in dead-end jobs, which probably covers a lot of those people in DC.

When I worked for Northrop Grumman, I lived in D.C.

It's not as run down as you make it out to believe. Yeah in some places it's pretty shady, but a lot of it is pretty damn nice also. Take the train to the Chevy Chase Pavilion and walk a block in any direction. A lot of those poor uneducated people you refer to could go get a job at the Macy's there. Yeah you will be working for the more well-off, but it's a paycheck.

The problem is people's COMPLACENCY.

"The government gives me $250 for free... why should I work 40 hours a week for $350?"

THAT is the problem with this country. Not gun crime.

People don't want to get off their asses and actually DO anything...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

People don't want to get off their asses and actually DO anything...

Then why does the country have a 95% employment rate?

Your mentality is just not correct.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join