Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What is Congress voting on this New Years Eve?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Okay folks... There seems to be great difference of sources in seeing just what Congress is up to this New Years Eve and what is being squeaked through at the 11th hour. Since BOTH Houses must pass something if it's to pass at all today, watching either is as good as watching both. Here is a page showing a long list of legislative action and voting in the U.S. House of Representatives today. Each bill is linked by number for quick reference to look up the text and full details.

Office of the Clerk - United States House of Representatives

I hope this helps everyone else keep track as well. It's a MUCH busier day than I'd have thought. I was under the impression only 1 or 2 bills were taking the day up. That's not the case as the link shows in detail.

Here is a quick snapshot.

edit on 31-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I just had a thought and I'm not sure it's even possible. Could Feinstein attach her version of the AWB at the last minute to the bills being passed for the fiscal cliff?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm sure these are just "mundane" bills that are being passed while everyone is on holiday.

You know, what's being served in the cafeteria... how many road-cones they need to buy for D.C...

Oh and the always present "we can do whatever we want to terrorists, and everyone is a terrorist" line thrown in to one or two of 'em.

Happy New Years everybody, it's going to start with a bang...

Guess they want to drop the ball early...

Edit: 112TH CONGRESS 2D SESSION S. 3454 seems to be an interesting place to start...

Bill for the yearly fiscal spending for the Intelligence Budget for 2012...

Wonder how many are even present to vote on these...

*off to comb over the bills...*
edit on 31-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Very interesting...

H.R. 6649

Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended. H.R. 6649 — "To provide for the transfer of naval vessels to certain foreign recipients."

Decommissioned old ships?
edit on 31-12-2012 by Qubert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Qubert

6649:

SUMMARY AS OF:
12/11/2012--Introduced.
Naval Vessels Transfer Act of 2012 - Authorizes the President to transfer on a grant basis to: (1) Mexico, the OLIVER HAZARD PERRY class guided missile frigates CURTS and MCCLUSKY; and (2) Thailand, the OLIVER HAZARD PERRY class guided missile frigates RENTZ and VANDEGRIFT.

Authorizes the President to transfer on a sale basis the OLIVER HAZARD PERRY class guided missile frigates TAYLOR, GARY, CARR, and ELROD to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office of the United States (which is the Taiwan instrumentality designated pursuant to the Taiwan Relations Act).
Source

I'm sure China is thrilled.. lol

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Thanks for keeping an eye out for these last minute deals...

I wonder if it would be a good idea to Breathalize this crew prior to allowing them vote this evening...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow, they debated everything but the great fiscal cliff........

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

What is Congress voting on this New Years Eve?,

great taste / less filling ?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm not finding a similar near real-time display for the Senate. Here is the page I did find though.

United States Senate - Votes

...and what they did yesterday for confirmations.I have no idea who either of those folks are. Anyone else recognize the names? Are they good/bad?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
I just had a thought and I'm not sure it's even possible. Could Feinstein attach her version of the AWB at the last minute to the bills being passed for the fiscal cliff?

It is possible, but the Senate would have to vote on the amendment then the House would have to approve, so all likely not going to happen but there is a chance with these clowns running the rodeo. I do like your thinking though. Many little things are stuffed in as amendments that aren't even related to the bill.

I believe her "bill" or "amendment" will have a hard time leaving committee and she won't make her move with the fiscal cliff; it will give too much political fodder for the Republicans.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

Agreed to a certain extent. Roll Call sheets pertain to bills put up for vote. The Congressional Record is what you want to be looking at and that can be found here: Congressional Record Search

Just pop in what was done on the 30th and you can see they had a few lengthy debates about the "fiscal cliff". The thing is, they are not in on the negotiations of what will be in what ever bill McConnell, Boehner, Obama and Reid decide on.

That is the scary part. We have 4 people deciding not how to tackle the problems but how to effect the most damage to the other party and protecting their political backsides.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As we know last year while everyone was out celebrating the new year, Obama signed the NDAA executive order in order to slip it by us. I appreciate the OP taking the time to check and see what they are trying to pass, because it's likely they might try to do something similar regarding gun or internet control.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

A great thread, Brother Wrabbit! I don't mean to be flippant, but they are supposed to post a copy of every bill BEFORE Obama signs it for 5 days of public viewing. So the most we can probably hope for is their vote on the fat-free ranch dressing in the House Cafeteria.

I will keep my eyes open regardless.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyezenmaitreya
As we know last year while everyone was out celebrating the new year, Obama signed the NDAA executive order in order to slip it by us. I appreciate the OP taking the time to check and see what they are trying to pass, because it's likely they might try to do something similar regarding gun or internet control.

In interest to keep this an honest discussion, what executive order are you speaking of? The NDAA 2012 was a bill passed in Congress, so it really wasn't "slipped" by. I am not not putting you down, but you should educate yourself on the legislative process, the difference between bills and executive orders, and how it all works.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Only two bills have been delivered to the president's desk by the congressional clerk.

On the 30th of December, the following bills were presented to the president:

H.R. 5949. To extend the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 for five years.
-and-
H.R. 4310. To authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2013 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel strengths for such fiscal year, and for other purposes.

Nothing for the previous 5 days was sent to the president.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Last Floor Action: 6:25:55 P.M. - The House adjourned pursuant to a previous special order. The next meeting is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on January 1, 2013.

House Adjourned for 2012.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I understand what you are saying, but it appears you misunderstood me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually bills aren't signed on a Friday night while everyone is out partying...especially if they have significant importance. Excuse me, Saturday night.
edit on 31-12-2012 by eyezenmaitreya because: error

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

(snip!) Sorry.. I missed the note about the House Adjourning and had been on the phone here.. I hadn't checked the page myself in a few. They left?? Okay, as I understand this...Midnight tonight. Thats the shooting match. Anything tomorrow is after-the-fact mop-up but the damage will have already passed into reality, right?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

You always seem knowlegable about these things, let me ask you a question.

In the past year, Obama signed an executive order basically doing an end-run around the Dream Act on immigration. Why couldn't he do something similar with this whole sequestration/fiscal cliff nonsense?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by beezzer

(snip!) Sorry.. I missed the note about the House Adjourning and had been on the phone here.. I hadn't checked the page myself in a few. They left?? Okay, as I understand this...Midnight tonight. Thats the shooting match. Anything tomorrow is after-the-fact mop-up but the damage will have already passed into reality, right?

From what I understand, sequestration starts when the ball drops in Times Square.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join