It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The single most important issue in ufology.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What's the biggest issue in ufology? Quality. I could go on and on about that, but that one word really should suffice.

For starters it means weeding out the weak or fraudulent evidence, improving the quality of investigation, filing FOIA requests for U.S. Weather Bureau and FAA radar data whenever there is a compelling sighting (imagine what radar confirmation could have done for the Phoenix Lights case and how negligent all American ufologists were for not requesting the radar data), the failure of U.S. presidents who whine about being kept out of the loop to issue an executive order relieving everyone in government of their orders to keep the lid on and failure to submit a bill to Congress to order release of gun-camera and Project Twinkle footage--the list goes on and on. But I also explained in the thread linked by my signature below a plan to use camera-control software to get some really strong photographic evidence at little cost, which is also a chance to get a good high-parallax 3D look at the phenomenon for real.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Some of the attitudes and behaviors characteristic of pseudoskeptics:

-Does not question anything from established non-religious institutions, but takes whatever they say on faith and demands that others do the same.

-Does not ask questions to try to understand new things, but judges them by whether they fit into orthodoxy.

-Applies "critical thinking" only to that which opposes orthodoxy or materialism, but never to the status quo itself.

-Immediately judges as false and debunks anything that contradicts their paradigm.

-Are not interested in truth, evidence or facts, only in defending their views.

-Cannot think in terms of possibilities, but sees their paradigms as fixed and constant.

-Are willing to lie and deceive to discredit their opponents.

-Automatically dismisses and denies all data that contradicts materialism and orthodoxy.

-Are judgmental and quick to draw conclusions about things they know little or nothing about.

-Scoffs and ridicules what they oppose instead of using objective analysis and examination.

-When faced with evidence or facts they can't refute, uses semantics, word games and denial to try to obfuscate the issue.

-Unable to adapt their paradigms to new evidence, and denies data which doesn't fit into them.

-When all conventional explanations for an unexplainable phenomenon are ruled out, are still not able to accept paranormal ones.

-Dislikes mystery and uncertainty, and insist that all unknown phenomena must have a mundane explanation.

-Views the scientific establishment as a religion and authority to be taken on faith and never questioned or challenged. Does not understand the difference between the scientific process/methodology and the scientific establishment institution.

-Assumes that the scientific establishment is objective and unbiased, and free of politics, corruption, control, censorship and suppression for no other reason than blind faith in authority.

-Will never admit that they are wrong no matter what, regardless of evidence.

Source: www.debunkingskeptics.com...

From Skepticism to Cynicism to Savage Antipathy

Posted on 10 December 2012, 9:44

Hardly a day has gone by during the past few weeks when I have not noticed an article of one kind or another by some self-appointed guardian of science attacking Dr. Eben Alexander and his book Proof of Heaven (see prior blog entry). They spew animosity, cynicism, hostility, antagonism, bitterness, rancor, enmity, and contempt.

The attackers seem to be of two types. First, there are the more educated who write the articles and blogs. They smirk and snicker in righteous indignation, seeing Alexander as simply deluded and his claims as lacking scientific foundation. The second type, the less-educated, post comments at blogs or write letters to the editors. They come across as rednecks who were brainwashed by their high school biology teachers and don’t realize that a belief in biological evolution is not opposed to a spiritual world. They wave the banner of science but know very little about the scope of science. They scoff and sneer at the “ridiculous” claims of Alexander, as if they are truly enlightened. Even though it is usually clear that they haven’t read the book, they try to sabotage the Amazon.com book rating by giving it the lowest rating possible in order to bring down the overall rating. Both types see Alexander as a disgrace to science, a money-hungry traitor out to make millions on his book while leading the gullible astray.

I have often struggled to find a word to describe the attitude of such people. I don’t think “Skepticism” is the proper word as a skeptic, by definition, is someone who questions and sometimes doubts but has not made up his or her mind, which is open to change. Some would call it pseudoskepticism, (pseudo = pretend), but this term is not always applicable as not all of them pretend to be skeptics. They simply know it all – no ands, ifs, or buts about it.

Source: whitecrowbooks.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
UFO/ALIEN has been very quiet in 2012 it seems not much going on, apart from just more grainy shaky footage, nothing new in terms of new evidence.

in other news

i just had a UFO sighting, at 00:10am a large orange orb flew over a house then just vanished. i watched it disappear into nothing left me quite baffled i took video but the quality is terrible its not even worth posting lol
edit on 31-12-2012 by SkuzzleButt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Sorry buddy.....but a copy & paste from an obscure site defining a skeptic doesn't really cut it!.......counter that with a copy & paste defining a blind believer.

If you can do that it will prove that you are actually researching the topic and are not firmly planted on one particular side of the fence.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Spoken like a true pseudo-skeptic.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
this was just uploaded, never seen it before is this new?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SkuzzleButt

i just had a UFO sighting, at 00:10am a large orange orb flew over a house then just vanished. i watched it disappear into nothing left me quite baffled i took video but the quality is terrible its not even worth posting lol

I rest my case!

Do you not think it's possible that on new years eve people maybe setting of Chinese lanterns?.......new years eve has just passed an hour ago here in the UK...there have been "larger orange orbs" flying all over the place for the last few hours!.....do you think in the great scheme of things that a Chinese lantern simply burnt out over your house.....or do you think it was aliens?

00:10 you say?......10 mins after new year

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Spoken like a true blind believer

edit on 31/12/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrashRetrieval
If only ONE eyewitness, radar track, piece of trace evidence, photograph is correct then its game over the greatest story in the history of mankind.

Surely nobody can believe that EVERY piece of evidence is fraudulent.
It really is very simple if only one case out of the thousands in ufo history is the real deal thats good enough.

Happy New Year everyone.

We are probably past the 'one really good picture/video/document to end all UFO doubt' stage of the game at this point. It's not that people consider every UFO evidence as fake. Sure there are a lot of fake stuff out there, but there's also been more than one disclosure and release of direct and indirect UFO related material from credible government sources.

We've been so desensitized to the UFO theory and material I am afraid more pictures, videos, theories, or even disclosure about existence of aliens minding their own business from retired government officials won't do much to change the situation. Consider that humans have evolved to dominate Earth today because we always consider 'What's in it for me?' That means the only game changer in UFO business is something that directly affects people's immediate lives. For example, coming under attack from aliens, or coming to possess some alien stuff resulting in giant leap in our knowledge with immediate practical benefit.

Until then I think topic of existence of aliens and UFOs will be just sci-fi entertainment for most people, and people always love a good story, whether based on reality or not. That could be that's why good story tellers seem to do well in UFO business.

edit on 31-12-2012 by PINGi14 because: clarity

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I've seen something extremely similar on Youtube. Looks like a pyrotechnic display to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

thats what i thought

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Spoken like a true blind believer

edit on 31/12/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

And there's the stale mate.
good example guys

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

If only ONE eyewitness, radar track, piece of trace evidence, photograph is correct then its game over the greatest story in the history of mankind.

Surely nobody can believe that EVERY piece of evidence is fraudulent.

If there are no alien craft visiting the earth, then every UFO sighting is false. When it comes to the ET hypothesis anyway.

I think it is interesting that as it becomes easier to document UFO sightings with the proliferation of cell phones and camcorders, the evidence in support of the ET hypothesis seems to be getting worse. All the interesting stuff seems to happen when no one has a video camera handy.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
one thing interesting in that vid is right near the fire ball you can see a really small object next to it emit a red flash

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

thats what i thought

What?....you posted a UFO sighting.....but you thought it was a Chinese lantern?

This is my exact point!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Right, absolutely.

Arguing over the lack of physical evidence is almost besides-the-point now. Parading one eyewitness after another to relate their visions of contacts is a dead-end.

Seeing isn't believing these days, and eyewitness testimony has rightly been stripped of most of its "certainty."

The most interesting questions in UFOlogy revolve around "us." What does it mean that humans have reported these types of contacts and visions for thousands of years? What does that suggest about our own species? How can these perceptions of "otherworldly" beings ultimately benefit us as a species, and how can we use this shared symbolic language to weave a more coherent worldview for ourselves and our descendants? Can we integrate this material and do something useful and constructive with it?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

i think you miss the point on my post

i said its been a slow year and not much evidence of ufos/aliens

the sighting i mentioned is typical of what you get these days. 2012 has had no significant advances in UFOs

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Profound observations. And sadly true. Thanks for posting. Not that I'm surprised or haven't seen it before, but the astonishment is nonetheless worth repeating. These hyper cynics simply end up characterizing themselves as the true idiot.

There's the black ops suppression, then there are the idiots who are not even compensated for their efforts in mockery.

edit on 31-12-2012 by FormerSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkuzzleButt
this was just uploaded, never seen it before is this new?

Interesting new video. I think it deserves to be a new topic for discussion (instead of a comment tucked in here).

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

As another year ends the landscape of the ufo community seems to be in a depressing state.

Neverending arguments about decades old cases

It all seems a bit hopeless.

'I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real,' Dr Mitchell.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us

Little strange people from outerspace working with our government underground and abducting cattle...Unbelievable but could be true now more than it could be false.

A woman, hysterical and screaming, cried to police that “some … some … thing” landed in her farm and killed two cows. Near central Ohio, a U.S. Army helicopter had been zapped in mid-air with a green beam of light. And The Enquirer was also on the beat, writing about “a radiancy of lights, frights and brights,” that were “dancing, flashing and hovering,” and “the reports were fast and they were serious.”

www.citybeat.com...

One Waco, Texas rancher said he encountered two four-foot tall, light green-colored "creatures " with large, black, slanted eyes, carrying a calf which was later found dead and mutilated.

In 1983, a Missouri couple watched through binoculars as two small beings in tight-fitting silver suits worked on a cow in a nearby pasture. The alien heads were large and white in color. Nearby, a tall, green-skinned "lizard man" stood glaring with eyes slit by vertical pupils like a crocodiles's.

paul.rutgers.edu...

A May 1973 episode involved a wornan, Judy Doraty, whose memories of the event were recovered by Dr Leo Sprinkle utilising regression hypnosis in 1980. During part of the regression Doraty recalled observing a small calf being cut up with an instrument.

May 1980 saw another regression by Leo Sprinkle. Myrna Hansen and her son were abducted in a New Mexico location. The woman was driving a car when a bright light made her stop the vehicle and get out. Voices spoke to her and she was carried off together with a cow.

www.auforn.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join