It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the gun rights people want silencers for their weapons.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Ranb40
Anyone who thinks this is not loud and doesn't require a silencer or ear plugs to be ear safe is already mostly deaf.

Ranb

What?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

JBA2848
I did not name the American Silencer Association. They did. And you don't see a problem when the company just down the road from a mass shooting is turning around and planning this big push for the new year?

Be honest, would it make any real difference where the company was located? It comes off as a trite talking point intended for emotional shock and awe.

And while they are saying we would like to talk with the President about gun control? I guess their idea would be make sure you use both hands when firing so your more stable. Proper stance so your more accurate.

That sounds about right. It's pretty similar to what I was taught in the army when I was qualifying. Just for the heck of it, you are aware that in addition to silencers being legal in nearly every state that there are also "subsonic" rounds manufactured now in addition to hand loaded rounds. What this means is no sonic boom from a lower grain load in the ammo. Nw the everyone is off their soap boxes, what would you personally like to see in regards to gun control?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

And the guy doing this push was also tied to the company I showed the lawsuit about. They were using unlicensed suppliers to make and sell silencers. So what kind of discussion is he going to have with Obama on gun control. He was already helping to break the laws in place.

ia601200.us.archive.org...
edit on 29-12-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Lets be realistic, it's an oxymoron when a firearm or accessories manufacturer claims they want to discuss gun control with the government. It's a simple game of chess whereby they are positioning to market a product with the possible caveat of supplying the military in exchange for dropping a push into te civilian market. I'll ask again though, would it make any difference to you WHERE the company was located in proximity to the school shooting? Would it be less offensive if they were based in North Carolina? I would guess not so much as your reply to me dented on the dubious business practices but I'd prefer not to assume. And also, what would you personally like to see in regards to the subject of gun control in the US? I'm just trying to get a feel for where your. Coming from and not trying to attack your position per se.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

And what about this BS.

i1206.photobucket.com...

Cheap product to create a silencer for your weapon. Must be so you can protect your ears as you target practice right?

www.mynameisfoxtrot.com...

So how can you use your sites to do target practice with it? It is for one reason to hide the noise of using your fire arm.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Check the day this thread was started. Right after Sandy Hook and just down the road from there is where the push came from. This thread is over a year old. And I am not sure why it came back up after so long of nothing on it. But the problem I had is what the guy did in the first place with his push right after Sandy Hook just down the road from Sandy Hook. And that just goes to show you what kind of guy he is.

Silencers. I don't think there is any use for them for civilians. Hell the military and police should not even be using them unless it is a part made with the fire arm to begin with.

Magazines should be limited in quantity and size. Twelve rounds maybe fifteen rounds and only allowed a couple for each weapon. Drums there is no place for them. And I think the length of assault rifles need to be kept at a length they can be easily seen. Pistol grip on a rifle I don't think really matters. So yes I do differ from some of the left wing gun grabbers as you would call them. I also think these non lethal hand grenades should be taken off the market. Why do they need hand grenades filled with rubber bullets out there in the public? Or even the smoke grenades which can start fires. Hell take them away from the California Police Department to start with. They even called them burners when they used them on Donner. They new they would start a fire and burn the building down.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I appreciate very much the clarification on your views. Ad I apologize for not realizing sooner that this was a year old thread recently off of life support. I that context the OP makes much more sense.
As for civilian access to silencers/ suppressors I think the excuse that its for saving hearing is BS. ANd this is from an ex military guy with a healthy love of going to the range. I find that the ear protection I already own and at a far more reasonable price is doing quite a nice job. Playing live music with my band has done more harm to my hearing than firing any of my rifles ever will. I'd prefer to keep the magazines I have. Maybe I'm slightly paranoid but the same mindset kept me alive in the 10th mtn div. so I tend to go with what works. I would rather be prepared for hell to rain down upon my home during an intrusion than have only a couple 10 round magazines while a criminal or criminals will not feel the need to adhere to such laws. Better to be over prepared than unprepared.now I don't see the need for a 30 round extended magazine attached to a pistol like the idiot who shot Gabby Giffords was using. To me even that is a stretch of reality. One thing I'm not sure i can agree with you on is the length of the barrel. I just don't see how that comes into play. Even with a 20" heavy barrel on my AR, it takes less than 5 seconds for me to remove the upper receiver from the lower and just as quickly I can put it back. If I wanted to conceal a long barreled "assault rifle" and I use the phrase begrudgingly, it is not a difficult task. Not only that, in the hands of a trained shooter even a bolt action rifle is going to be extremely accurate and deadly. Just look at what Whitman did from the tower at the university of Texas Austin in 1966. He killed 17 and wounded almost three dozen more and not an assault weapon in site.
edit on 29-12-2013 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Were not far apart. And when I speak of the length of a assault rifle I am speaking of these weapons they were putting electric triggers on and shrinking the whole weapon down to nothing. I am sure with all this 3D printing they already have the plans out there to flood the streets like the did with those tin box Mac10s.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

JBA2848

And what about this BS.

i1206.photobucket.com...

Cheap product to create a silencer for your weapon. Must be so you can protect your ears as you target practice right?

www.mynameisfoxtrot.com...

So how can you use your sites to do target practice with it? It is for one reason to hide the noise of using your fire arm.

That has to be a joke firing through an oil filter might as well tape a milk jug in front. I can guarantee firing a round through an oil filter put me 100 ft away with my glock and lets see whos dead ill even let them fire first. There first shot would expand the oil filter with the pressure and of course the bullet will create a hole just wont go where they are aiming. The second one the oil filters likely to blow up.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Suppressors come in handy in areas that have noise ordinance laws. I have a friend he owns 6 acres on the other side of the street is a housing development. Hes allowed to shoot on his property but when he does police usually show up using the excuse of noise violations. The other reason is safety it is easier to talk and hear what's going on without ear plugs when range shooting. And even with ear plugs on an indoor range i still leave with that annoying ringing sound. Alot of indoor ranges are now requiring subsonic rounds for that reason. But if you use a suppressor you can get away with using hypersonic and they fire much better than subsonic which tends to jam alot. Not to mention seems to get the pistol alot dirtier alot quicker.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Sounds OK to me .

They are going to Need Silencers for their Weapons after their Family Members are Herded into FEMA Detention Camps when the Feds Finally Declare Martial Law while the U.S. Economy is Intentionally Collapsed BTPTB in the Not to Distant Future . How else can they Overcome the Guards at the Camps in order to Free their Relatives Dummy !
edit on 30-12-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
it is easy to make a supresser with some cotton wool and a washing up bottle bit of pipe

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Another refugee from occupied territory. We all are quite aware of how ALL THOSE PEOPLE on the coasts don't want guns,however the rest of the country has said we do.We are currently throwing people out of office for it.
If YOU want to be an effective staging area for an invading army go ahead.
And thank you very much for being such a juicy target so we get a decent warning when they do it.
I have a line on steel core rounds on .32 YAY!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to

post by dragonridr

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

JBA2848
Silencers. I don't think there is any use for them for civilians. Hell the military and police should not even be using them unless it is a part made with the fire arm to begin with.

Silencers were originally designed and marketed for civilian use. It took a long time for the military to become interested in them. Since a gun muffler is just as suitable for civilian use as a car or truck silencer, why do you think there isn't any use for them for civilians?

Ranb

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

JBA2848
So here it is. A website for American Silencer Association. And they want silencers for all their weapons because it will help to protect their hearing.

americansilencerassociation.com...

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE COMMERCIAL SILENCER INDUSTRY’S 103 YEAR HISTORY, INDIVIDUAL MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS, AND DEALERS ARE FORMALLY BANDING TOGETHER TO COLLECTIVELY ADVOCATE FOR THE SILENCER INDUSTRY.

And here is a page membership page.

americansilencerassociation.com...

WHERE DO THE FUNDS FROM MY MEMBERSHIP FEE GO?
PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
The ASA will work to create an effective public awareness campaign to educate prospective users on the merits of silencers. We will do so through the development of a comprehensive campaign, utilizing electronic, print, and social media applications.

DEALER EDUCATION
One of the applications of our public awareness campaign will be the education of standard Title I firearms dealers on the ease and the advantages of becoming a Class 3 dealer. In doing so, we will help expand the availability of silencers general consumers.

PUBLIC OUTREACH
Throughout the year, the ASA will attend various trade shows to generate exposure within the industry, further our educational agenda, and recruit new members. We will begin by attending SHOT Show, the AcuSport Show, the NRA Annual Meeting, and more.

BOOST MEMBERSHIP
The success of the ASA is directly correlated to the participation of an active membership base. Our membership base includes silencer manufacturers, firearms manufacturers, sporting goods distributors, firearms dealers, and members of the public. We will work hard to continuously expand our membership in order to better represent the industry as a whole.

On this page you notice the NRA meetings are listed. But then they list "We will begin by attending SHOT Show". Shot Show is owned and ran by NSSF National Shooting Sports Foundation which is located 2 miles from the Connecticut school shooting.

www.nssf.org...

NSSF Statement In Response to White House Press Conference
Dec. 19, 2012

The National Shooting Sports Foundation today issued the following statement:

We listened with careful attention to President Obama's statement from the White House today. Being one of the "stakeholders" he discussed, we would welcome the opportunity at the appropriate time to become part of a full national conversation with all policy makers that has as its goal the improved protection of our children and our communities from future violence.

NSSF Statement on Newtown Tragedy

We at the National Shooting Sports Foundation have been deeply shaken and saddened by the horrible events that took place in Newtown last week. There are not many degrees of separation in small communities like Newtown, and so, not surprisingly, we had family, friends and acquaintances that were affected. We are weighed down by their heartbreaking stories and the sorrow that has blanketed our community. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of this terrible tragedy.

Out of respect for the families, the community and the ongoing police investigation, it would be inappropriate for our organization to comment or participate in media requests at this time.

NSSF was a big pusher of the Bushmaster firearm and all it's modification kits being sold. They promoted it through their show on TV and online. Their answer to Virginia Tech and the call to make a gun free zone at colleges and universities? They funded students to start shooting clubs in colleges and universities. Fighting against the proposed government restrictions.

And the statements above that they are ready to talk about gun control with the government? Really when they now are going to push for silencers so a school shooter down the road would not have been heard as he killed little kids in the classroom next door? What a joke. Lets give the mass killers a silencer so they can kill more before people realize what is happening. There would be no need to hide the noise by doing it at a movie theater during a gun scene. You could do it any where. Great idea idiots!!!

You are being silly. Silencers are not regulated in Europe. You can buy them off the shelf, no license required in England and Scandinavia. They are considered polite to use and as a hearing safety precaution. You hysteria stems from watching too many movies, methinks.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

DJMSN
reply to post by JBA2848

I'm not a gun owner nor am I an advocate for either side, but surely you don't believe that a silencer or lack there of would have made any difference in any of the mass shootings we have had recently or in the past ?

None of the bans or gun laws or restrictions would have. They are just feel good, knee-jerk responses of politicians who want a cause and people who are hysteric and want "something to be done" even though they don't even understand what that "something" is.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Be PrepaRED , Lock n' Load.............

i297.photobucket.com...
edit on 30-12-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Well if some one really wanted to target these silencers I could see the two videos above being a starting point. The oil can adapter passed by the ATF. OK good to go the ATF said it was OK. But that video top video posted by ASM is open for law suits from Fram not for the Adapter they sell but for the improper use of a Fram product being used in that video. Is the oil filter that company promoted to be used as a silencer for a weapon been tested and approved for that kind of use? Seems Fram could be held reliable in some way if it did explode. Did ATF give oil filter makers such as Fram a blanket immunity from law suits that they gave the gun manufacturers? If not they could be in trouble. And the ATF never gave blanket immunity for using products of other companies in a advertising video. Fram has a law suit for using and promoting there product in a unauthorized way by ASM in that video. Some of the other oi filters used besides Fram that I see them using STP and Case. Could be a real hammer to get hit by with so many large corporations with law suits? Would be strange oil companies after gun makers?

The companies out there have not seen a fight from lawyers and so on yet. But if some one did get lawyers involved they could change things for sure. But that would even be scary road to go down for me. That could end up be a major gun grab by the government or worse. Put laws into effect requiring everybody who has a fire arm to insure it. Insurance companies can be nasty with what they do. Look at insurance policies for your house. They have the right to send in inspectors to your house to make sure it passes there standards. The government could never really do that but a insurance company can. And if it came to gun insurance they could check and require your house to have gun safes, security systems, video surveillance and anything else they wanted. Deny you policies because some one in the house has a mental condition and not the person with a fire arm. Cancel your policy without notice like they do with car insurance and report at the same time to the government who can then show up at your house to confiscate illegal weapons.

It could be a nasty fight. And one that is scary to any body no matter where there stance is on guns.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Don't see the problem here.

What is the issue you have against people owning suppressors for firearms?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join