It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the gun rights people want silencers for their weapons.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by JBA2848

First thing is first, it's probably been stated, but you can't "silence" a gun. It's a Noise Suppressor.

To be silenced it needs to be using subsonic ammunition otherwise its only suppressed. No its not completely silent (although there are some 22's that are Hollywood quiet) but the man who invented it called it a silencer and in the legal code it is referred to as a silencer not a suppressor. I see this come up all the time but fact is the proper name under the law and by the inventor was silencer not suppressor.

Silencers certainly do not work as they do in movies and video games!

They do on a 22 with subsonic ammunition if you know what you are doing. You might want to check out some Youtube videos. The early movies I saw with silencers used 22's, yes they have gotten retarded lately. As I said you would need subsonic rounds and its going to change your distance. There are some good Hollywood movies that do portray the actors taking this into account when hiring someone to make a silencer for a rifle. I forget the name. The guy says do you want it suppressed or silenced?

You know silenced will greatly decrease the distance right? Also Mythbusters did a terrible piece over silencers because all they used were suppressors with supersonic ammunition. Suppressors are not made to bring the decibel level down to next to nothin. They are made to conceal the shooter and to help with hearing damage. Silencers are a completely different build.

Go to 13 minutes on this video and watch. Considering you can hear this guy walk across the grass I would say that's dang quiet. I rather shoot something like this that's even quieter then a paintball gun. By the way there are quieter versions if you built your own everyone buys one from the store and then complains. Well you have nothing to complain about. Its store bought. This is store bought.

And as I said. When you make your own they ARE in fact silenced. Stop buying store bought suppressors and make a silencer if you actually want a silencer. This guys 308 is impressive.

I would advise anyone making one to read the law. Your state might require rifling in the barrel. Believe me gun laws are something you do not want to break.

edit on 27-12-2013 by Pimpintology because: of formatting purposes.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Auricom
Also, let's not forget a silencer isn't silent. It only reduces noise, not eliminate it.

Heck, if you shoot enough without ear protection, they're ALL silent.

I have constant tinnitus...I gave my right ear for your freedom! (cue eagle with flag waving in background)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I am glad someone brought this up from over a year ago. It seems I found some information about this legal industry every body is so happy about. Well the guy who runs the non profit in the first post is the one who had me go down a hole to find some dirt for you on this great industry. Seems the company he started out with has been in a law suit for years with Cerberus and Freedom Group and Remington. They bought this guys company that made silencers. They signed him up for a payment up front. A job until 2015 and a lump sum payment at the end. But they fired him over? Suppliers not licensed to build silencers. Seems he was working with people who did not have ATF license to do what they were doing. But is that the only thing? No Cerberus and Freedom Group scamming a guy who built a company from nothing out of money for the company and even took personal firearms that belonged to him that were at the business. Seems none of them are clean in this lawsuit.

Knox is listed on page 58 as quiting the guy who is running the non profit to promote silencers.
ia601200.us.archive.org...

Hell even that General who was forced to resign after it came out that Marines killed civilians in several places in Iraq and the military tried to cover it all up. The beginning of the crash of Iraq is involved in this case. This general had to remove three ribbons from his uniform because he never earned them. His involvement in this case I believe was sales man to the UK and US military.

www.stripes.com...

This law suit seems to be still going on.

archive.org...

Here is the guy suing.

www.thetruthaboutguns.com...

Here is the guy who runs the non profit.

www.linkedin.com...

Him listed as president.

www.theoutdoorwire.com...

Seems Knox even likes to say don't listen to the ATF rules.

americansilencerassociation.com...

I guess if you want to sell to the military and overseas and you sell your company to some one like Cerberus or Freedom Group make sure you have all your ts crossed and your i dotted. or they will take you for millions. And when you make sells to companies in the UK that say they are 9001/2008 you know they will check out your complete supply chain and know everything about your company and who they work with. So make sure your suppliers are on the up and up to.

Riflecraft Ltd in the UK signed a contract for silencers. They probably did the supply chain check.

www.militarysystems-tech.com...

edit on 27-12-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Google minigun for sale. That's right,in certain states you can have that,a GE134 like the one in "Predator" ,with the price of bullets these days ,not me.
I have a question:What is the best idea for a semi VZ-61 in .32ACP ?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
reply to post by SubTruth

Google minigun for sale. That's right,in certain states you can have that,a GE134 like the one in "Predator" ,with the price of bullets these days ,not me.
I have a question:What is the best idea for a semi VZ-61 in .32ACP ?

Man, all I want is a Mark 19 and all the 40mm grenades I can put through it. That was my most fun weapon system. EVAR.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I know there is one(1) in the United States that is a transferrable system. You have to pay 200.00 per round and firing it would require a notification to local authorities.

Or you can steal one from the occupying force, if they are US.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Really when they now are going to push for silencers so a school shooter down the road would not have been heard as he killed little kids in the classroom next door? What a joke. Lets give the mass killers a silencer so they can kill more before people realize what is happening

I'm sorry friend, but in this case, joke's on you..

If you believe a gun with a silencer will sound like in the movies you are completely wrong. At least you should look for more information about that, the best way to fight something is to know it by heart.

A gun with a silencer still sounds like a gun, specially when you're inside a room, even on open field it will sound just like a gun, only like a far away one, only small calibers can do the trick, and even then it is easy to notice.

Take a look at this video, there are tons on the internet. Information is free..

Silencer or not, someone who has the need to kill will do it no matter what, even with a knife or bare hands, guns are not the optimal discrete killing weapon, unless you want to go for mass killing that is, and only crazy or manipulated people do that, and if that's the case, it doesn't matter if they have a silencer or not, people will get killed anyway, and people around will know, the silencer won't help at all in hiding the fact.

The people involved with this just want a way to protect themselves against hearing loss due to the noise when firing guns, this has nothing to do with safety on the streets.

Also, never forget, anything can be turned into a weapon, the kitchen knife, the spoon on your soup, your razor blade and even your coffee mug.
edit on 28-12-2013 by Kaifan because: typos

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Bedlam

Auricom
Also, let's not forget a silencer isn't silent. It only reduces noise, not eliminate it.

Heck, if you shoot enough without ear protection, they're ALL silent.

I have constant tinnitus...I gave my right ear for your freedom! (cue eagle with flag waving in background)

Lol that's funny because its so true, some people think it is like in the movies, they have no idea.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A 22LR semi-auto pistol is perfectly legal to possess, rat rounds which are like itty bitty shot gun shells are legal to possess also.

When you press a 22LR pistol loaded with rat rounds against someone's head to silence the shot, then issues arise.

If one can get that close, a knife may as well be the tool, so lets outlaw those too.....

Laws are written because most people are straight up dumbasses and the tards in charge just can't figure out what to do about people hurting one another and threatening their monopoly on violence and control.

The most good for virtually any issue would be to reign in the "Outlaw Main Stream Media", if you don't think these silly stupid vile movies and such influence the young to do the types of things you think people are going to do simply because they possess a suppressor....

You could take everyone's weapons of every type away and they would use sticks and rocks, those are nice and quiet.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I feel cheated because I used an M203 in the military, and got out and was building parts for MK19's.

The world is so unfair.

I have a picture of a MK19 on my bicycle, balanced on the handlebars.

Thup Thup Thup Thup

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Bedlam

Ranb40
Why is this happening? It has not happened on my rifles, doesn't matter if they are 22lr, 223, 308 or 338 ultra mag, the silencer reduces recoil, noise and changes point of impact. No effect on accuracy at all.

You used a chronometer and gotten numbers on your round velocities with and without the suppressor? Ours caused a definite spread.

The only "suppressor boast" test I performed was with a Savage MKii using a homemade silencer. I shot 20 rounds with and without the silencer attached over my CED chronograph. I had an increase of 4 fps with the silencer attached, the stdev was about 20 fps, I don't remember which one was better, but they were very close.

With the larger calibers I can only safely say that group size is not affected at all, the point of impact is generally lower and to the side.

How did you do your tests? Thanks.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Pimpintology
Its legal in Texas to have a silencer for your weapon. You need a 70 dollar permit. Happened last year. I for one wish it was required. Where I live they are constantly shooting and its annoying.

I have not seen anything in TX law like this. Got a link to the law that requires a $70 permit? As far as I know TX law still reads like this;
www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us...

Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(4) a firearm silencer;

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.

Ranb
edit on 28-12-2013 by Ranb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Here are a few educational videos to watch.

Rapid fire suppressed 10/22 at 200 yards.

Suppressed 510 whisper at 200 yards.

How to make a registered silencer.

Ranb
edit on 28-12-2013 by Ranb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
reply to post by Bedlam

I know there is one(1) in the United States that is a transferrable system. You have to pay 200.00 per round and firing it would require a notification to local authorities.

Or you can steal one from the occupying force, if they are US.

I was told to stop laughing by the instructor when they were teaching me how to use it.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Ranb40
How did you do your tests? Thanks.

Ranb

We had a chronometer setup on the base rifle range. The bravos were big into doing analysis on the newer stuff, we had a CSM who was a technical expert on the tweakier parts of long range rifle fire. We saw a definite spread in velocity that increased the more rounds you put downfield, some faster some slower. You get that anyway, but the same rifle without the suppressor had measureably less.

You can also get changes just with the extra weight on the barrel causing a change in the barrel whip, but those are generally static and end up with a pretty static change in where the bullet hits which you're seeing too, apparently.

When I say "a bit" I'm not meaning it's huge, it's enough to be noticeable at a fair distance. And it was the '80s, maybe they've gotten better.
edit on 28-12-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A suppressor isn't required with subsonic loads, subsonic loads without a suppressor sound about like full-loads with a suppressor.

Subsonic loads combined with a suppressor are almost silent, excepting the noise made my the mechanical functioning of the firearm. Subsonics reduce range, but make you really hard to spot and most people are really crappy shots anyway when they are not at the range, so you can be close.

Anyway....

I don't understand why anyone thinks the legality of anything would matter to a psychopath or sociopath who doesn't give a damn whether something is legal or not.

Just buy some insurance, buy some security, someone will protect you from having to think about anything so you can watch TV without being interrupted. The biggest criminals in this world make it a business to keep you from doing things yourselves, like being able to defend yourselves.

Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.

Everyone should have the right to acquire any tool they need to do whatever they may need to do so long as they exercise a little common sense and respect the rights of others, those who have no respect for your rights infringe upon them by writing laws which make something unlawful for you to do because of someone else's mistake.

This cannot be fixed until silly people lose faith in the current way things are done, as no one can be trusted.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I helped build a rifle in single shot .45 acp based on a VZ 24 Mauser action.

With a 28 inch barrel it did not need a silencer when using subsonic 260 grain bullets made for a 45 long colt.

It sounded just like a .17 pellet gun.

With a silencer can without baffles you could hear the firing pin hit the primer.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I'm not a gun owner nor am I an advocate for either side, but surely you don't believe that a silencer or lack there of would have made any difference in any of the mass shootings we have had recently or in the past ?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
A suppressor isn't required with subsonic loads, subsonic loads without a suppressor sound about like full-loads with a suppressor.

Subsonic loads combined with a suppressor are almost silent, excepting the noise made my the mechanical functioning of the firearm. Subsonics reduce range, but make you really hard to spot and most people are really crappy shots anyway when they are not at the range, so you can be close.

I disagree with this claim. Even subsonic ammo uncorks from the barrel with a loud pop. The only ammo I've seen that is not loud unsuppressed is subsonic 22lr out of a 28 inch barrel or 22 CB out of a 16" or greater barrel. Every other subsonic load I've used in any firearm is plenty noisy enough to damage my ears. I still have most of my hearing left, so all firearms with the exception of the few I noted above are very loud in my opinion.

Compare a 9mm 147 grain subsonic load with 6 grains of Unique with a 115 grain load at 1250 fps. Both are very loud, the supersonic load is a bit louder.

Take a look at these results; www.silencertests.com... The subsonic 308 is over 150 decibels. Anyone who thinks this is not loud and doesn't require a silencer or ear plugs to be ear safe is already mostly deaf.

Ranb

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

DJMSNI'm not a gun owner nor am I an advocate for either side, but surely you don't believe that a silencer or lack there of would have made any difference in any of the mass shootings we have had recently or in the past ?

This guy does. www.salon.com...

Ranb

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join