It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC couple arrested; explosive substance found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Searched no results so I'm sure this is new here

NEW YORK (AP) — Authorities say a New York City couple has been arrested on weapons charges after a substance used to make bombs and papers titled "The Terrorist Encyclopedia" were found in their Greenwich Village apartment.Morgan Gliedman is awaiting her court appearance. Her boyfriend, Aaron Greene, was held without bail after he appeared in state court in Manhattan on Sunday. Both were arrested Saturday as police executed a search warrant at their apartment.Police Detective Martha Barrera reported that a plastic container containing a white powdery substance known as HMTD was found in the living room. The substance is highly explosive.Both were charged with criminal possession of a weapon.Attorney Lisa Pelosi, representing Greene, called the situation sad but declined further comment. It was unclear who will represent Gliedman in court.

www.myfoxal.com...
It's on my yahoo news feed. I looked up what they are trying to claim as an explosive it's not. It's a primer and quite leagle the guns I'm not sure on as I know new York has restrictions depending on area. This is a move to list occupy as terrorist organisation the tea party will be next mark my words. I know people from both sides and neither of them have ever planned attacks on any one rather they have been preparing for acts against them and now I truly believe rightfully so.

I posted a thread called (I'm onto something and so are you) I gotta say it's seeming more true by the day. One must ask what grounds were they searched on and why now that occupy isn't on the television every day. We are in trouble here guys and we may be a day late and a dollar short. How many of US own guns and anti government material or has knowledge of explosives. We all do especially on this website and if you can acquire gunpowder you have knowledge of explosives. Armor up boys I feel like we all may be under gun soon without have done any wrong except for our beliefs doesn't matter if your left or right, tea or occupy if you threaten the 1% which owns our government you are now fodder for their control. May be time to admit your insignificant and submit to their rule, they are after all about to neuter US with an assault weapons ban and maybe even a full weapons ban.

What say you ATS am I paranoid or am I on to something?
edit on 31-12-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This will not lead to WW3.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is the "bust heard round the world"
The heralding trumpet af world war 3.

This is the beginning
This is the end

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It's common sense to me that in a city like NYC which had been hit with the destruction of the Towers (not interested for this thread if it was Terrorist or Inside Job) and was recovering from a major natural disaster that I probably shouldn't have something used in the creation of bombs... While yes technically its legal I give you the following:

"Despite no longer being used in any official application, and despite its shock-sensitivity, HMTD remains a common home-made explosive and has been used in a large number of suicide bombings throughout the world, and was possibly used in the 7 July 2005 London bombings.[6] Bristol student Isa Ibrahim was charged for possession of HMTD. The New York Times reported it as the planned explosive in the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot.[7]

" I know people from both sides and neither of them have ever planned attacks on any one rather they have been preparing for acts against them and now I truly believe rightfully so. "

I see, so because you know people on both sides you know all people involved on both sides? Since you know all the people on both sides you can assure me that everyone involved is good and wonderful without a single nefarious thought in their head?

edit on 31-12-2012 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
This is the "bust heard round the world"
The heralding trumpet af world war 3.

This is the beginning
This is the end

Care to support that with some kind of statement explaining why you believe this NYC couple is related to world war 3?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by oasisjack

Seems like I read somewhere that besides being used in making homemade explosives that HMTD can also be used in the process of making some illegal drugs. If that recollection is correct they could have been doing something else (albeit illegal as well) besides making bombs.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't know what lead to them getting searched (most likely they were put on a mandatory list when they bought explosives), but having the explosive (legal enough on its own) in conjunction to something called "The Terrorist Encyclopedia" is certainly shady.
How much did they have? I know you go on watch lists when you buy to much bleach, because it's an ingredient in a certain hard drug...and personally I don't disagree with that rule. If it's a borderline legal substance that has a second life for criminal activity, then someone should pay attention to how much any one person is buying. Like with bleach, nobody is looking at the family that goes through a fair amount, but when your buying more than a gallon at a time, well that is damned suspicious.
I imagine their online activity was being watched too. I mean I can't imagine walking into a book store and requesting "The Terrorist Encyclopedia"....and don't act like that was planted, it was probably the first thing that red flagged them specifically.

ETA I don't care if anyone here shares that opinion, but that's how I feel about it. If they had bombed a place and killed people, we would all complain about how the government knew they were up to something and didn't do anything.
edit on 31-12-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

I take issue with claiming a book is dangerous. Or flagging anyone for buying one. That is what they call a slippery slope. At one time I owned cordite (sp?) For target shooting. I also had a copy of the anarchist cook book at that time. Does a that make me worthy of your watch list? This sounds a little more like the gov attempting pre-crime if you ask me.

I'd like to see the crime they committed before I thank the feds for saving new York city

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I think books are dangerous as hell, just look at how the Bible has changed the world. (Not for the better, I might add!)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

I take issue with claiming a book is dangerous. Or flagging anyone for buying one. That is what they call a slippery slope. At one time I owned cordite (sp?) For target shooting. I also had a copy of the anarchist cook book at that time. Does a that make me worthy of your watch list? This sounds a little more like the gov attempting pre-crime if you ask me.

Agreed, owning a book on its own should not be a bad or flagged thing..
Owning a book that explains how to build a bomb and having a key component of bomb making is common sense that the authorities would watch someone like that.

I think we need to hear more about this story before anyone makes any conclusions.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
reply to post by Mrgone

I think books are dangerous as hell, just look at how the Bible has changed the world. (Not for the better, I might add!)

Books are just words. People misuse both. The misuse is not the fault of the words. It is how they are used. And that is the fault of the individual, not the book.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
How is this related to ww3 ?? think about it do you think that the first salvo will be aimed by a government against another government or by a government to its people. Sad truth is its already well underway the war on terror is ww3 any one who cant see that is blind. you have to ask yourselves can a man sitting in a mud house ride his donkey thousands of miles and cross the ocean to attack us ? No you know they cant Bin laden was a nobody until the CIA trained and backed him against the Russians that is a fact. The war on terror is really a war on dissent, It in its very essence is a war on the people. Ask your self why do we need indefinite detention for american citizens when it is our duty and privilege to rise against our own government when it no longer serves the peoples interests? for instance when it nullifies and in fact vilifies the very constitution it is sworn to uphold. To this you say well if people just vote them out of office it will be just fine. To that I remind you of gerrymandering, Propaganda and fear. I ask you why are their drones in our skies and our land has been labeled a combat zone. why is it when a man who was clearly influenced by his religion to assault and kill our troops on our soil is not labeled a terrorist attack but a lone gun man? how ever on FOX and CNN i have heard the members of both occupy and the tea party Associated with terrorist. now they aim to make that the official stance you ever joined attended or voiced support with either of these groups you are subject to being caught in the same net as them. and I do believe I can own any book with any legal substance I wish and not face prosecution for it, well until now I suppose.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by oasisjack
How is this related to ww3 ?? think about it do you think that the first salvo will be aimed by a government against another government or by a government to its people. Sad truth is its already well underway the war on terror is ww3 any one who cant see that is blind. you have to ask yourselves can a man sitting in a mud house ride his donkey thousands of miles and cross the ocean to attack us ? No you know they cant Bin laden was a nobody until the CIA trained and backed him against the Russians that is a fact. The war on terror is really a war on dissent, It in its very essence is a war on the people. Ask your self why do we need indefinite detention for american citizens when it is our duty and privilege to rise against our own government when it no longer serves the peoples interests? for instance when it nullifies and in fact vilifies the very constitution it is sworn to uphold. To this you say well if people just vote them out of office it will be just fine. To that I remind you of gerrymandering, Propaganda and fear. I ask you why are their drones in our skies and our land has been labeled a combat zone. why is it when a man who was clearly influenced by his religion to assault and kill our troops on our soil is not labeled a terrorist attack but a lone gun man? how ever on FOX and CNN i have heard the members of both occupy and the tea party Associated with terrorist. now they aim to make that the official stance you ever joined attended or voiced support with either of these groups you are subject to being caught in the same net as them. and I do believe I can own any book with any legal substance I wish and not face prosecution for it, well until now I suppose.

Have fun with all that.. Maybe you can find the Lone Gunman out there to verify everything you said.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
www.thedailybeast.com...

Proof that for the rich life is different.

Quotes from the article:
Indeed, in the first days of the investigation police reached the tentative conclusion that the explosives and weapons were just part of a drug-fueled, twisted sense of what constitutes cool...

...The other visitors were the police. The criminal complaint filed against Greene and Gliedman says that the cops discovered a plastic container in the living room holding seven grams of a white power that was identified as Hexamethylene Triperoxide Diamine, or HMTD, an easy-to-make explosive and a favorite of actual terrorists. 

The complaint says that police also found the makings for more of the stuff, as well as a sawed-off 12-gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun, a Ruger 12-gauge shotgun, a dozen 12-gauge shotgun shells, 9 high-capacity rifle magazines, and 60 5.56-caliber tracer rounds. There was also a 37mm flare launcher, a replica of a M203 grenade launcher.  

The complaint also lists a number of books and manuals said to be found in the apartment: 

- The Terrorist’s Encyclopedia V. 1.02
- FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions 
- FM 5-31 Booby Traps
- Improvised and Modified Firearms: Deadly Homemade Weapons
- A Do-It-Yourself Submachine Gun
- Street Sweeper: A Home Workshop Shotgun
- Building the M11/9: A Guide to Construction and Coercion
- FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions 
- FM 5-31 Booby Traps...

...To cops, Greene appears to be living proof that going to Harvard does not necessarily make you any less a knucklehead...

That's precious. Junkies with terrorist manuals, a weapons cache and home made explosives are just "knuckleheads" with "a twisted sense of what constitutes cool." They're spinning it that the cops don't believe they had any intentions of commiting terror attacks. They're just, you know, knuckleheads.

Next false flag foiled by accidental arrest of the hired perpetrators?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Mysticalsea

now heres a question. is it against the law to booby trap your home??? i have had a home invasion exp. if i wanted to protect my self from these things happening again. would it be lawfull. specially if someone broke in my home and got hurt?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but in this age of information, owning a book is little proof of anything. Almost anything can be learned about anything, anywhere...and that's not a bad thing at all.
edit on 2-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pathwalker777

I dunno, but I bet if you did the arresting cops wouldn't say you were a knuckle head with a twisted sense of what's cool.

top topics

join