It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAQ: Not voting is treason and you'll end up in hell.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   

MEMRI
A REPRESENTATIVE OF GRAND AYATOLLAH ALI AL-SISTANI SAID THAT FAILURE TO VOTE IN THE UPCOMING IRAQI ELECTIONS IS TREASON, AND THE PERSON WHO DOESNT VOTE WILL END UP IN HELL. (AL-SHIRA', BAGHDAD, 10/23/04)

Well, that's one way to get people to vote.
I guess he feels that if people won't vote out of fear of death, he'll use fear of something worse to counter that.

At least the western politicians haven't stooped to that level yet.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Yeah, but if you don't vote in this country, DICK CHENEY WILL ATTACK THE US!

Sistani would probably say that if you can't vote, Dick Cheney will attack Iraq, but that's already happened, so he has to use the next worse thing.

Does this mean Iraq is the next door to hell?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I guess it is very similar to a Government saying if you don't vote us in, the "terrorists" will attack us even more. Its all about the fear factor.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well I'm glad to see a muslim cleric doing something positive for Iraq. Unlike Al Sadr a; sistani is at least trying to motivate Iraqi's to do something positive.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Well I'm glad to see a muslim cleric doing something positive for Iraq. Unlike Al Sadr a; sistani is at least trying to motivate Iraqi's to do something positive.

Motivate???? I guess you could call it that!! hahaha

That will be the next one Cheney uses.

"If you vote for Kerry, you'll all go to hell"

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Maybe I misread the quote but it doesn't say "vote for X" it just says vote or go to hell. Now the threat of hell may not be something we agree with but considering the fact that religon is so much more important to the average iraqi's daily life than even the average christian in the US, maybe the threat of hell is the best way to ensure the people do vote.
Lets face it if it convinces iraqi's to vote and thus establish a legitimate government (legitimate in thier eyes) is it a bad thing?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
I guess it is very similar to a Government saying if you don't vote us in, the "terrorists" will attack us even more. Its all about the fear factor.

I agree. However, he is looking out for his best interests as well. The Shiia should dominate and how better to get out the vote than issue a fatwah?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Maybe there's some type of significance in the fact that a top ranking cleric has made voting a religious requirement. Maybe he's hoping that the extremists will see it like, now the people have to vote, so there's no use in retaliating them for voting or something....I don't know.

Hey, he's one up on some of the fundies in this country.....listening to them, you'd think that we will be going to hell if we vote for Kerry.....
at least he's letting the people have a choice in who they vote for and damnation will only occur if you don't show.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Religion does not stop to amaze me it still a powerful tool to control the weak, not only in Iraq but in our own "democratic" back yard the same scare tactics has been use here in the US.

Welcome to the new face of democracy in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tesla

Originally posted by mwm1331

Motivate???? I guess you could call it that!! hahaha

That will be the next one Cheney uses.

"If you vote for Kerry, you'll all go to hell"

Well, since Im already going to hell anyway..............

Cheney would know. he is the prince of Darkness!

top topics

join