It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Year's Resolution that will change your life :)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken
reply to post by Dispo

haha you poor brits and your bad teeth ! Smile anyways, those who receive it will think you are ultra-confident in not letting your bad teeth get you down

Brits bad teeth is just as bad as all aussies with corks on their hats, all Americans eat burgers and pizzas for every meal or French people with stripy jumpers with garlic around their necks..

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

It's totally superficial. You assume people are miserable, because they're not smiling. That's just silly. You're so programmed into thinking this way that you actually won't go to a restaurant unless everyone is smiling. That's just bizarre to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

It's totally superficial. You assume people are miserable, because they're not smiling. That's just silly. You're so programmed into thinking this way that you actually won't go to a restaurant unless everyone is smiling. That's just bizarre to me.

Your exaggerating a little there, its natural human programing its what we learn as a child to protect us later in life, do a little research my friend..
And no its not superficial, why would I go somewhere where I feel I'm not welcome? Why would I surround myself with people that are not happy.. in my world I like to be where I feel welcome and surround myself with positive people..
All your comments are pretty negative so far.. that's your prerogative but I certainly wouldn't return to the bar where you work with that attitude..

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

Your exaggerating a little there, its natural human programing its what we learn as a child to protect us later in life, do a little research my friend..
And no its not superficial, why would I go somewhere where I feel I'm not welcome? Why would I surround myself with people that are not happy.. in my world I like to be where I feel welcome and surround myself with positive people..
All your comments are pretty negative so far.. that's your prerogative but I certainly wouldn't return to the bar where you work with that attitude..

Goodness. I don't equate happiness with a smile at a corporate restaurant. We're paid to smile. If someone isn't smiling I don't assume that they're miserable.

I'm glad you've been so positive. No negative comments coming from you....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Goodness. I don't equate happiness with a smile at a corporate restaurant. We're paid to smile. If someone isn't smiling I don't assume that they're miserable.

I'm glad you've been so positive. No negative comments coming from you....

You miss the point.. a genuine smile and a fake one are instantly recognizable !

A smile is a subconscious message of happiness and it shows.. being miserable is comes across naturally in peoples body language.. therefore I try to avoid such people and situations

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

--"...why would I go somewhere where I feel I'm not welcome?"

Reminiscing.. Of Satanic Commandments?

S3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

Kudos to you for abiding by the third.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I didn't know you were so deeply perceptive that you can tell instantly whether or not someone is genuinely happy when they smile. That's quite a gift. Since you feel so welcome at places where they demand that the employees smile, then you may actually appear at the place I work. I'll be the one who doesn't serve you, because you're already smiling, happy, and satisfied. I wouldn't want to change that by serving you drinks

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What the OP had said and suggested in only the truth.

Smile, and you will most of the time see a smile returned, in our cold world where many hold each fellow human and brother in distrust, due to the many instances of being played out / betrayed. To remain cold, aloof and distant is a shell to protect our very own ego, if not existance.

Simile at a nice girl or guy, and it is returned, it makes your day, with hope. Smile to a group of ruffians and when they do smile back, you are in deep sh*t, for that's when your smile becomes a open invitation for them to have some fun with you, and ruffian's style of fun is never civilised.

When working, smiling is often the best way to get up the corporate ladder, even if one is a waiter. It is far more difficult that those who claim that a smile uses less muscles but a frown uses more.

It is no fun espacially when one cannot express how he/feels honestly, but for one's survival, that smile is truly the only the way out of problems. Not every human reciprocates a smile, but when the right people do, your chance to progees and elevation are higher, as most humans will reciprocate in time, and when both stragers become close, many daily issues will be solved as each participant will then by ready and in a rightframe of mind to resolves issue/

Having a closed mind, exclusive or discrimality, these folks will not progress as their children grows up.

Smile, even if one is feeling sad, in pain, troubled, etc, for it will attract positive people around you and with such positivity, it will help uplift your from the mental pain and anguish.

If you don't try to smile under such situations, then prepare to welcome misery. Misery loves company, and in that negativity, you will only suffer more evey minute in that company with no solutions except delusional fantasies.

Never be afraid to smile in open public. You will never know how POWERFUL your smile will affect others and societal outcomes.

Cheers! :- )

edit on 31-12-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Great advice mate.

Sometimes easier said than done but the power of a smile that I receive from my wife, kids or even a stranger is very uplifting so it stands to reason that smiling at others will provide the same feeling.

I'm a bit of a joker anyway so my whole life is based around having a good laugh, usually at my own expense, as much as possible. Life is too short.

S&F

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

I don't think you're seeing the point. Smiling releases chemicals and energy that make you more positively charged person. People will be more drawn to be polite and friendly to you as you are projecting positivity yourself. We don't want you to smile to be an autonomous being with only one or two emotions. It's none of your business to be worried about how other people feel, or how other people see you. If you're positive all across, the more positivity you will receive. Instead of scowling at that drunk customer to tell you to fill up his cup for the 7th time, or the mom who wants her child's food cut up into bit just smile and do what you'd expect to be done for you. It will be far more appreciated

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Some of you guys are too much, but it's in a good way. It's like a comedy.

Smile, then the happiness will flow. Put a positive spin on everything (this one is a little more difficult). If nothing else, smile.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Actually I never trust people who smile all the time; most of the time they are faking good mood or success. In today's society the smile is an all-purpose mask; a tool of marketing. Every time I go to a store and I see an employee coming toward me with that huge smile and the inevitable question "how can I help you?" I'm like "just stay out of my way and let me mind my own business".

If this theory would be right then the salesmen, real estate employees, waiters, top-models and so on would be the happiest persons in the world. But to me they seem just stressed out robots.
There are people who's smile is so permanent and disconnected from reality that it makes me feel I'm talking with a zombie.

And because I hate these fake smiles so much, I would never smile unless I feel it 100%. And unfortunately, this is not happening a lot, I smile a lot more on ATS forums
What can I do? Is a common joke in my family that I'm the most antisocial person alive; my own mother calls me an hedgehog. But at least, when I'm laughing or smiling, everyone around me is sure that this is exactly what I feel. No false signals from me.
edit on 31-12-2012 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I smiled once, people thought I was Plotting! :-P

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by clairvoyantrose

yours is the first response of this type that makes sense to me.

it reminds me of a long-standing theory of mine that, from a social perspective, you are afforded by other people a certain "mental-space" into which you may occupy. no matter who you wish to be, you are socially restricted to the space that is afforded you. this sounds a bit like prejudice, but seems something more to me.

so, by smiling even when not necessarily happy, you are afforded a space into which you can BECOME happy.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
Great advice for most people.

My smile just looks creepy though, I end up looking like I'm scowling, plus I'm British, so y'know, bad teeth. I think it makes people more comfortable if I don't smile.

But, according to research, you will still feel happier, right?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by If you smile
through your fear and sorrow
Smile, and maybe tomorrow

You’ll see the sun come shining through.

there is a deep message in this lyric, sung originally by Charlie Chaplin, as a sad clown.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thank you very much for bringing a smile to my face in a very cold and foggy morning.

A very Happy New year to you and your family .

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by svmpua

A very happy new year to you and yours as well.

Happy New Year to everyone!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Do you know that when a person sees another person smile it increases that persons energy? It's amazing what facial expressions can do to anothers energy.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by If you smile
through your fear and sorrow
Smile, and maybe tomorrow

You’ll see the sun come shining through.

there is a deep message in this lyric, sung originally by Charlie Chaplin, as a sad clown.

He also wrote this song.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join