It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns used in 67% of murders in US

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
...Then you have to add in the thousands of accidental gun deaths that happen each year, many of which include children.

Where are you getting your 'facts'?? The CDC reports roughly 200 accidental firearms related deaths for ages 0-19. Thousands?? For that age group, 6% are accidental, 32% are suicides, 59% are homicides, 3% are undetermined, And these numbers include gang-related shootings which account for over 80% of gun-related accidents/homicides for this age group and extending into the next age cohort (up to 24yo). Get your 'facts' straight.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Let me explain my position on my guns, in a way that any left-leaning, democratic, or liberal-minded individual (among many others) can understand...

If I am forced to shoot a bad guy, who is about to kill or injure another, isn't this the same as killing an unborn child, who poses a threat to it's mother? Consider it a retroactive abortion...

Make sense now?

Now, obviously this was intended to elicit deep thought, and wasn't a jab at any particular group or mindset.. But don't you see the hypocrisy of the logic? How can someone, who has no qualms about killing a child with a beating heart, in the womb, for whatever reason, have such a problem when some bad guys doing bad things, take each other out, or force a good guy to defend his own?

edit on 1/1/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: changed wording...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
guns are dumb,

lol

the bullets are shaped like a penis...

why were they created?

does that serve God?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
To all the people worrying that they won't be able to defend themselves if the government takes away their guns, I would like to remind you that where there's a will, there's a way. Anyone determined to defend themself against an attacker will find a way to do so even without access to guns. They will get creative! People can defend themselves just as well with a baseball bat, a knife, or a hammer as they can with a gun. So even if there are no guns, people will find a way, and it's pointless to worry about the government taking our guns away. Many other countries have stopped their citizens from carrying guns, and that hasn't eliminated self-defense in those societies. Remember, humans have been finding methods of self-defense long before the gun was even invented!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nanocyte
To all the people worrying that they won't be able to defend themselves if the government takes away their guns, I would like to remind you that where there's a will, there's a way. Anyone determined to defend themself against an attacker will find a way to do so even without access to guns. They will get creative! People can defend themselves just as well with a baseball bat, a knife, or a hammer as they can with a gun. So even if there are no guns, people will find a way, and it's pointless to worry about the government taking our guns away. Many other countries have stopped their citizens from carrying guns, and that hasn't eliminated self-defense in those societies. Remember, humans have been finding methods of self-defense long before the gun was even invented!

the odds of ever having to defend yourself are higher than being struck by lightning.

not a one liner

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai
Ya know, the biggest problem IS the individual people who abuse the guns. That goes without saying. But what can be done to address them? Nothing. At least not in the short term. It's going to take time. What do we do in the meantime?

If you're a parent and you notice that your child likes to poke things in the electrical sockets, what do you do? You put the plastic protectors on the sockets and teach your child not to do that, not just ignore it after you put the protectors on. But you DO put the protectors on.

If your child likes to play close to the stairs, what do you do? You put up baby gates and you teach the child not to play near the stairs, but you still put up the baby gates.

If your dog goes to the vet and has a proceedure done, you put a cone on it so it doesn't pull the stitches out. You take care of the incision and let it heal, but you still put the cone on.

When the baby grows older and learns, you take the coverings and the baby gates away. When the dog heals, you remove the cone.

Right now we have a bunch of babies and neutered dogs running around and the guns need to be kept out of their hands because they don't have enough sense on their own to use them right. They need to be restricted right now because the people don't know how to use them correctly.

Yeah, it stinks, we go to plug something in and have to mess with the little plastic protector. We want to go downstairs, but we have to mess with the baby gate. We want to pet our dog but we have to work around the cone. Guess what, we have to do it or risk losing what's much more important.

I like my guns, I enjoy shooting them, I like the peace of mind of having them around for protection, I enjoy hunting, but at the same time, there are some people out there that aren't responsible with them and damage is caused and lives are lost. We need restrictions on them as well as education. People need to learn the value and the responsibility involved. Until they do, we have to make considerations to protect everyone else.

It comes down to one question. Which is more important, having any gun you want any time you want it or a human life? If you feel the gun is more important than a human life, then you are part of the problem.

Here's a BIGGER problem. People don't walk around with a sign on their forehead that says "today I'm okay, tomorrow I won't be". Or, we know a baby or a dog and their obvious fragilties when we see them. Although there may be some signs of a mental health issues in some killers, you can't be arrested or prohibited until you are a proven danger to yourself or society. People kill people! I say we get rid of all of them!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
www.fox19.com...

Don't deny your stats.

I do deny your reasoning.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia
guns are designed to kill/hurt life, therefore should be abolished on a civilized world, thank you

edit on 31-12-2012 by cornucopia because: missspelling

This is the problem with bleeding heart liberals. Apply this logic to also include police forces, and militaries. After all, guns should be "abolished in a civilized world." Except the world isn't civilized, we still have crime, and would still regardless if the crime was committed via guns or not. Guns are merely a tool to be used by the person using them for whatever action they so desire. You cannot bubble wrap the world and base laws around what stupid irresponsible people might do. That isn't the way the real world works.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Guns used in 67% of murders in US

And the latest figures show that 33% of all statics are totally worthless.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rock427

guns are designed to kill/hurt life, therefore should be abolished on a civilized world, thank you

edit on 31-12-2012 by cornucopia because: missspelling

This is the problem with bleeding heart liberals. Apply this logic to also include police forces, and militaries. After all, guns should be "abolished in a civilized world." Except the world isn't civilized, we still have crime, and would still regardless if the crime was committed via guns or not. Guns are merely a tool to be used by the person using them for whatever action they so desire. You cannot bubble wrap the world and base laws around what stupid irresponsible people might do. That isn't the way the real world works.

i'm a bleeding heart liberal?

yes i do have a heart, i am peace and love...

can you handle that?

can you imagine a utopia?

can you look at yourself in the mirror with love?

i know how to end 90% of crime, end poverty.

lets cut the pentagon and/or re-tool the military industrial complex for peace and end poverty and starvation in America...

isn't that a novel idea?

lol

anything is possible, all a choice...

i choose peace and abundance for all...

i choose justice, fairness, loving rehabilitation instead of for-profit prisons, i can go on and on...

you are an aspect of God...

re-member..

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The only way to win an argument is with more guns.
The person who is right is the one who has more guns.
The best way to resolve a problem is with more guns.
The only solution to any problem is to have more guns.

So even if I did have a lot of opinions to share on this topic right here right now, I see that it's pretty much pointless for me to try and win a debate because you see.. I don't have any guns.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
What is the percentages of crime that has been stopped by guns? Check and mate....

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I live in the Southern U.S.A My perspective is simple. I am a middle aged man with three children and a wife. It is my job to protect my family. I have never been in prison, arrested, or even ticketed for that matter. I have a college degree and am in Middle Management with a Fortune 100 company.

If the President of the U.S. deserves protection so does my family.

My life has been dedicated to the protection and provision for my family. I stand by Country, my friends, and strangers in need, a gun is a tool they are owned by fools, heroes and, the common man and woman. Learn to use one safely and your perspective will change forever.

If you live in a world where you do not have that freedom I am sorry for you, do the best with what you have.
I do not have more courage than you nor am I more of a man. I am fortunate to live in a place that respects my freedom and I can honestly say that because of that I will never live in fear.

I would die for my Children, my wife, my Country and my Constitutional Rights. I have no problem with any man but to take any of these things that I value away from me he better be willing to die also.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hr2burn
What is the percentages of crime that has been stopped by guns? Check and mate....

townhall.com...

For a guaranteed blank stare, ask gun-control proponents how often Americans use guns to defend themselves. They can't tell you, because they don't ask.

Professor Emeritus James Q. Wilson, the UCLA public policy expert, says: "We know from Census Bureau surveys that something beyond 100,000 uses of guns for self-defense occur every year. We know from smaller surveys of a commercial nature that the number may be as high as 2 1/2 or 3 million. We don't know what the right number is, but whatever the right number is, it's not a trivial number."

"When a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robber succeeds 88 percent of the time, and the victim is injured 25 percent of the time. When a victim resists with a gun, the robbery success rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery -- from drawing a knife to shouting for help to fleeing -- produces such low rates of victim injury and robbery success."

www.cato.org...
edit on 1-1-2013 by infolurker because: add quotes

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
What do you want to do? take them all away?

Good luck with that one. I live on the boarder or Detroit. Half of the city is illiterate more people own guns then they do cars. Have you ever heard 1000 poeple shooting all at once? I did last night when the clock struck midnight. The brothers all started shooting. And no they weren't fire works. Look it up on youtube if you don't believe me. Search Detroit gunshots new years. You'll never get all of the guns out of society. It's the American way get use to it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
With all the arguments lately about gun control, it seems that people are purposely overlooking the fact that guns create a huge amount of suffering and death. 67% of murders in the US are caused by guns.

www.justfacts.com...

That is a staggering figure, over 2/3rds. Then you have to add in the thousands of accidental gun deaths that happen each year, many of which include children. You would think that people concerned about protecting peoples' lives would come to the obvious conclusion that getting rid of guns (or at least cheap and easy access to guns) would do a lot of good and save tons of lives.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: typo

0% of murders are caused by guns. I've yet to see a gun pull its own trigger.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Dude, since there has been guns there has also been bans set on their manufacturing and options to carry or fire one. This is an age-old technique to get the masses going. Any intelligent person can make a gun, cannon, or weapon of their choice in just a few hours. Put a ban on guns-you will only create a black market. I feel safe knowing good citizens (at the time) may help me and my family in case of a break in or something along those lines. So just because you can't make a crossbow out of sticks, string, and rubber bands-doesn't mean you won't want one in the time of need. Next people will go for dull knives in every household-yes I read that thread...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nanocyte

the odds of ever having to defend yourself are higher than being struck by lightning.

not a one liner

?

In the United States, it is the #2 weather killer (second only to floods).[6] In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die,[7] for an average of 40 to 50 deaths per year (28 in 2008).[8] The odds of an average person living in the US being struck by lightning in a given year is 1/1,000,000, while the odds of being struck by lightning in a lifetime is 1/10,000 (estimated lifespan of 80 years).[

J ustifiable homocides: 665 per year

Now that is just the justified self defense acts where the criminal was killed, much less the ones where the criminal was either not killed but wounded, driven off, or apprehended.

Estimated 2.2 million self defense acts per year

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

It's incredible that people are stupid enough to just shoot their guns into the air. Do they think that the bullets just go into space or harmlessly float back down? These people should all be arrested and charged with attempted murder, at the very least. Sterilization would be preferable as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I've read an article a while back on ATS that someone figured out how to print a working gun using a 3D printer. So even if they do ban guns it will be very easy for someone to get one if they want it bad enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join