It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns used in 67% of murders in US

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia
guns are designed to kill/hurt life, therefore should be abolished on a civilized world, thank you

edit on 31-12-2012 by cornucopia because: missspelling

One of my college professors once explained that the world is divided into "is's" and "ought's". Your comment is an ought and reality, well, just is.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I say give every citizen a gun.

Every man woman and child should own a fire arm.
that way whoever wants to murder someone would have a good chance of being murdered in return.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
With all the arguments lately about gun control, it seems that people are purposely overlooking the fact that guns create a huge amount of suffering and death. 67% of murders in the US are caused by guns.

www.justfacts.com...

That is a staggering figure, over 2/3rds. Then you have to add in the thousands of accidental gun deaths that happen each year, many of which include children. You would think that people concerned about protecting peoples' lives would come to the obvious conclusion that getting rid of guns (or at least cheap and easy access to guns) would do a lot of good and save tons of lives.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: typo

Thank God they are using something humane like a gun to commit murder and not something like a car...or a bat...go the British route and maybe an umbrella?

:shk:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Governments have killed more people than everyone, that's why we can not budge an inch on this.

I did not lose faith in the President until he decided to declare war on us, putting Diana Feinstein in charge of gun legislation is akin to appointing Joesph Goebbels to protect the Jews.

Its laughable to the point the Obama has lost 100% of his credibility in my eyes and in the eyes of most Americans who own a semi auto.

We know they are up to no good and we are REAL suspicious....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

Originally posted by tpsreporter

Originally posted by tpsreporter

A book doesn't fire a projectile or multiple projectiles. A book also serves as a source of learning.
I have no issue with the soccer mom having a .380 to protect her, however, I do have an issue with semi-automatic firearms being available to anyone and everyone that wants one. This isn't about banning all firearms, it's about limiting what firearms are available to the general public.

There are several books that have been the source of significant levels of death and murder.

I'll give just one example. It's called "Mein Kampf"

It still didn't fire projectiles

Still killed millions of people.

No, it influenced the killing, but didn't carry out the action. They didn't kill people by hitting them over the head with the book. ...that I'm aware of anyway.

If five people were locked in a room with a loaded gun, I wonder how many people that gun would kill all by itself...
edit on 31-12-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The House Committee on Homeland Security says 4135 murders by firearm per year are committed by illegal Mexican immigrants

That just proves that guns are too prevalent and easy to acquire. If a poor Mexican can get a gun to kill someone with then maybe we should make it harder to get guns??

Really? Yeah, how is that working with the war on drugs?

Make you a deal, once foreign imported illegal drugs are non-existent in the US then we can talk about the possibility that criminals wouldn't get guns.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Seems a bit strange to me that in the US most of the leftys / libs. think it is just fine that since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States.
And then act so outraged when some nut job kills 20 kids.
Then they donate money to the ACLU, whose lawyers make it next to impossible to commit the nut jobs and are behind closing mental hospitals and turning loose said nut jobs.

Then they say ban guns, yep that will fix it,

Looks to me like the leftys / libs. use Abortion as a weapon in many more killing then any guns.

There have not been anywhere near 50 million killed by guns.

edit on 31-12-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So..If I went by the OP and the numbers that ..ahem..study presents, I'd be left with the conclusion that people don't kill people. Guns kill people and they just happen to be held by someone when they do their dirty deeds of their own accord.

Goodness.
..and to think, I've had this 1911 Auto sitting just a couple feet from me for over 2 years now. I'm left to wonder if it could just turn on the extrusion of the slide release lever as a pivot and fire itself right into me out of pure spite. Now that'll surely give me warm dreams tonight!

.......Or I could just consider that studies can be made to read just about any way the people assembling them want them to read with just some definitions tweaked in the data being used and how it's presented. Amazing how that works in the world of statistical reporting.

The same month in the same city for example can appear like the worst crime wave ever to strike the poor population there as their world seems to end in chaos and anarchy ...or the most promising upswing in improving crime rates and numbers steadily dropping for the worst of it. It's all in which directions the numbers are massaged.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

With all the arguments lately about gun control, it seems that people are purposely overlooking the fact that guns create a huge amount of suffering and death. 67% of murders in the US are caused by guns.

www.justfacts.com...

That is a staggering figure, over 2/3rds. Then you have to add in the thousands of accidental gun deaths that happen each year, many of which include children. You would think that people concerned about protecting peoples' lives would come to the obvious conclusion that getting rid of guns (or at least cheap and easy access to guns) would do a lot of good and save tons of lives.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: typo

And 83% in 2010 where gang related. The people should teach their children about the gun and how to use it safely. Then they wouldn't be shooting themselves so much. This is just a matter of education and in other cases of keeping it locked up if it's not on you.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
90% of the people who agree with this thread are Sheeple, 10% more are ignorant and cannot see that this is just more government propaganda.

100% of the government propagandists on this site function under the same pattern of behavior and all say the same thing which suggests a script.

75% of all deaths are just stupid people doing stupid things, including using handguns or assault weapons to murder others.
100% of the smart, responsible Americans do NOT do this on a daily basis.

There are over 370 million people in the US.....100% of the people, who don't murder someone with a gun or shoot up a school,....will never be heard about in the news or in a post like yours.

100% of the people on ATS can spot a government lackey or "whipping boy" in a second.
edit on 31-12-2012 by kcabmi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I like my guns. I want to keep my guns. However, I don't own uzi's or assault weapons because I have no plans of taking over a small government or shooting down a bunch of people. I don't need a gun like that. I have no use for it. I have guns for hunting, for protection, even for target practice because I enjoy shooting them. The guns I own are tools, not weapons. I don't need a weapon because I'm not going to use a gun in an argument or to go after someone I don't like.

That's the problem. People want bigger and better guns, they want guns that make them look big and bad. They want guns that are bigger than the other person's gun. They'd have rocket launchers if they could get them, heck some people do have them. They don't need them.

#1 you're more likely to kill yourself than someone who was "attacking you"
#2 you are no match for the military of the US. If they take over, they will win. They tookout Saddam who had a standing army, tanks, helicopters and more weapons than you could ever own.
#3 if those guns are around, they ARE going to fall into the wrong hands. If they are available to you and me, they're definitely available to criminals. There are guns available to criminals that we could never get ourselves.

Those criminals don't ban together in the hundreds and go after a lone little family at the end of a culdesac. If they did, it wouldn't matter how many guns you have, they would win.

The only reason anyone wants guns of that nature is to look big and bad or to do something illegal. There are no other reasons. If the government wants to put a ban on those types of weapons for the greater good, fine. They can. Some will say "well that will just lead to them banning other guns until they take them all". No, it won't. It has to be passed. This bill won't even be passed. A compromised bill might, but it will be extremely compromised. Also, anyone who votes for any bill that is passed will be voted out of office in the next election and it will be overturned. The American people don't go for things like that.

This is nothing but a way to distract our attention from other things. I say let them have at it. We'll clean the mess up at the voting booth and overturn it. It really is as simple as that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

100% of the government propagandists on this site function under the same pattern of behavior and all say the same thing which suggests a script.

Um, you are describing the gun worship cult, which for some reason is rampant on this site which is supposed to be a place of enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Here again is another post about gun control and how much better we will be without guns. However using the exact same site the following can be stated.

The muders done by fire arms, are done by criminals. The very notion that by taking away guns or even inflicting more laws on the public, is a poor attempt at the impossible. All of these laws, lets ban this weapon or another weapon does nothing to stop crime, as it has been shown in the past that you can not legislate human behavior. (How is that drug war working out for the US?)
If you look back in history, there are 2 laws, admendments that were passed, one that prohibited alcohole and one that repealed it. And what all was the lesson while it was illegale to consume alcohol? That crime was still rampent, if anything people were breaking the law and it became an underground culture. Then they voted to repeal it and it became legal again.

People who kill, the murderers are going to kill, and there really is nothing that can be done to stop them by banning firearms. Not all of them will kill using firearms, if some of the more infamous ones are to be used as an example, such as Gacy, Bundy and Donner. Even those who would assult mass murder, are doing such all with out a firearm, such as the OKC bomber, or even the unibomber. So what all will this do for the country except allow for those who are determined to committ crimes, use some other weapon.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
How many of those guns were actually legally acquired? I can't imagine many of them were actually from someone legally buying one and then going out and killing someone.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
One one hand American's do not trust their government at all(rightly so).

On the other hand you have this fanatics who put out over the top idea's that 'gun control' is another form of slavery and other such horrific description to a simple issue.

This is the reason why these anti-gun control rant are going on everywhere.

edit on 1-1-2013 by svmpua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Just another form of Birth Control...but at any age....

Can't change the world but it can change you

edit on 1-1-2013 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

So, if the US had no guns these people would not have been murdered? Is that your argument?

A lot of them would not have been, obviously. Guns are easier to kill people with, and most other weapons don't have the long range that guns do. Besides, a lot of people wouldn't be brave enough to attack people without their guns.

yeah instead they would use a knife, or a bat......or a BOMB...........

people who want ot cause mass carnage, and cannot get the tools they want to do so , will use something else........

im sure the families of the victims of the Oklahoma city bombing would have much favored he tried a gun first..........

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekerMike

Originally posted by cornucopia
guns are designed to kill/hurt life, therefore should be abolished on a civilized world, thank you

edit on 31-12-2012 by cornucopia because: missspelling

One of my college professors once explained that the world is divided into "is's" and "ought's". Your comment is an ought and reality, well, just is.

if we can have a Jesus, a Budha, a Krishna then we can have world peace here, it's all a matter of choice..
i am world peace

i know that we are all brothers and sisters at the spirit/soul level

remember?
you will, eventually

guns are in the way,
same with chemicals,
extreme greed, extreme egos,
weapons,
etc.etc,etc.

lets start evolving again

happy new year...
thank you
(^_*)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

Anything can be turned into a weapon.

Just actually come out and say it. You have no problem with the Govt trampling on the 2nd Amendment.
You don't actually believe in Freedom and freedom of choice.
You, in your rose colored glasses outlook, believe that the Govt is here to be our savior from ourselves.

Yet, any and all examples provided, where the populace is unarmed, there are mass atrocities, and like the good little Liberal, you march along with the old talking points from the Brady Camp and any Anti site out there.
No thought behind your retorts.
Only a parrot here on ATS, regurgitating the same thing.

GUNS are not the issue. If they were, then Progressive utopias like Chicago and LA would be GUN crime free, along with England as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join