The Future of Freedom of Speech in America

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It's not just liberals that are taking away freedom, but conservatives as well. Or it's not just conservatives that are taking away freedom, but liberals as well. Either way, it seems like we are headed towards a totalitarian state super-fast just in the last 6 months or less.

With Facebook participating in limiting free speech, I would guess that we will be entering a society where people are afraid to speak their mind within less than a year. I actually think we are already there.

It doesn't help that liberals and conservatives are polarized. This means that those in a liberal camp will not be used to hearing opinions from conservatives, and visa-versa, which could lead to heavy censorship on different opinions depending on what area of the country you are in, and online will just be a #storm.

I mean, I'm seeing a situation at the moment where free speech is still available to those who are able to navigate law and social interactions at a highly intelligent level, but it is definitely more stressful.
edit on 31-12-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Its not just in the US but its happening here in the UK too, and not to mention people are being jailed for thought crimes aswell......It makes me sick to the core!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Facebook and free speech don't belong in the same sentence. Facebook is a private company and it is their right to dictate what their service is used for. If you are unhappy with it you can start your own website. Same with ATS, they "limit free speech" too. Even if it would involve perfectly 100% legal activity. They don't wan't ATS associated with the negative images that it might create.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Yes, that is correct. ATS and Facebook are legally able to do what they like. I have had a few conversations about this with people with political backgrounds about this.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
For those of us ancient enough to have experienced the 1960s, we remember the "free speech movement" - how it was perceived when espousing nonconformist ideas and principles - what means the TPTB have engaged to limit public discourse on unpopular subjects. Once the draft was ended, the urgency was removed from the society to promote change, peace, brotherly love(!), etc. - then we could sit back and "not worry" about our kids' futures, the spectre of impending death. All the while, our government continued its COINTELPRO and other activities to help quantify and propagate Nixon's "enemies list".

Fast forward to post-911. Any kind of remark against the President, the war in Afghanistan, the official story of the tragedy - one could silence a room as effectively as in the E.F. Hutton commercials ("when EF Hutton talks, people listen). It isn't much different today, except at the moment the taboo topic is Sandy Hook and its' various ramifications (gun control, mental health).

DISSENT has always been vilified.

ganjoa

join