It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Sun in the UK different than in the US???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Newspapers that is

REALLY? There has to be. Please tell me that this paper is not the biggest selling newspaper in the UK.

Is it a different kind of paper there?

Here in the US we have these papers in the checkout line of the grocery store but NO ONE calls them newspapers. They are tabloids. I NEVER see people here buying them, except for my Gram, she reads them for entertainment not news.
She likes this one...

So tell me is there a difference?

I Just wanted to get this cleared up because I see a lot of people referencing this 'newspaper' here at ATS, and it makes me chuckle.

Maybe I have it wrong and there is some other ‘SUN’ newspaper that isn't chalk full of lies and embellishments meant to entertain like the ones I see here.

AND if I’m not wrong, then WHY on earth are so many of you in the UK reading this paper? Please tell me it’s just for fun.

edit on 31-12-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

No there are 3 Suns...the sun of god, the sun of a b, and the sun of a gun...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Although I cant open the images you posted I can tell you that there would be many papers throughout the world called the Sun.
Melbourne had 2 papers up until the 80s. The Sun was a morning rag and the Herald came out in the mid afternoon, they merged and now called the Herald Sun.
Sydney have the Sun Herald as they are backwards to us Melburnians.
And I agree The Sun of which you speak would be better served at the bottom of the Budgie Cage or for wrapping up the Fish n Chips, a rag of the worst kind it most assuredly is.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
'tits out for the lads'.

the sun isn't the only thing that rises.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

What pictures?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

The pics are just of the cover of the papers, The Sun and The Enquirer. The covers look very similar.

You guys can't see them?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

No Mate, wont open for me. But I have seen them before. Complete with page 3 girls as per previous poster suggests.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

I Just wanted to get this cleared up because I see a lot of people referencing this 'newspaper' here at ATS, and it makes me chuckle.

Maybe I have it wrong and there is some other ‘SUN’ newspaper that isn't chalk full of lies and embellishments meant to entertain like the ones I see here.

AND if I’m not wrong, then WHY on earth are so many of you in the UK reading this paper? Please tell me it’s just for fun.

Unfortunately it is a real newspaper, (and I use the word 'newspaper' very loosely). And yes it is one of the most popular newspapers in the UK - unless you're from Liverpool...which I happen to be from. Here it is condemned and vilified due to it's conduct of reporting the Hillsborough Disaster. Which always irks me a bit...I can't stand it (the sun) because it's hack, lazy and uninformative journalism and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Some people buy it because it's an easy, quick read on the way to work in the morning or even a quick read during lunch and what not. Others, and possibly the vast majority, buy it because they are base morons.

Another thing that irks me about it regards the adverts one might see on TV for it....featuring footballers and people associated with football. Despite...everything that happened with Hillsborough and that. Easy money I suppose.

That's probably as close to the mark as is possible.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Wiki says the top 3 papers by circulation in the UK are:

1 The Sun
2 Daily mail
3 Daily Mirror

Are 2 and 3 also tabloids?

US's top 3 by circulation are:

1 The Wall Street Journal
2 USA Today
3 The NY Times

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I am not positive but I believe there s a US paper named the sun as well not sure of what city though

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Unfortunately the Sun is the biggest selling newspaper in the UK and the circulation of newspapers is a sad reflection on our society and education standards. It is mainly read by your average workman, who just wants a laugh and to see a pair of tits but unfortunately they also do believe what they read. The Telegraph is probably the most informative of papers but I must admit that I struggle to read one as it is too long winded for me.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by loveshot1831

There may be, but what I don't understand is how a tabloid is the number one newspaper?

What is that saying about the UK?

Lots of silly people looking for a fun read, or a bunch of suckers?

reply to post by michael1983l

Thanks Michael you basically answered the above question.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

It says that the education system in our country is a shambles. It also says that we have large areas of poverty in our country. Largely outside of London the majority of the jobs are either trade or unskilled.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think it's a difference in the definition of tabloid. I was always under the impression that US tabloids print articles relating to how someone married the corpse of an Alien, or something to that effect - (the only one I can name off the top of my head is the National Enquirer). Whereas UK tabloids print articles relating to current events but in a very very simplistic way and, more often than not, deal more with celebrities & shock stories. Or even, they will take a story and present it in a way that is intended to cause shock.

wiki link

edit on 31-12-2012 by DoomDoomDoomy because: adding a link

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomDoomDoomy

Right, i thought that might be it. Seems like the Sun tries to keep it a little bit real, more than the Enquirer and its crazy of the wall stories.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

DoomX3 I'm sorry to admit I don't really remember this awful thing that happened in Liverpool. I read a little about it and now I'm curious what The Sun did.... I will check it out

Thanks for posting.

Here's a vid for anyone else interested.
Hillsborough Disaster 1989 - Justice for Liverpool

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There is no "Page 3" in the states.

Probably considered too naughty.

But they will have pictures of death and dismemberment.

Go figure.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

It says that the education system in our country is a shambles. It also says that we have large areas of poverty in our country. Largely outside of London the majority of the jobs are either trade or unskilled.

Well, when you put it that way, I feel kind of bad for asking

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
Wiki says the top 3 papers by circulation in the UK are:

1 The Sun
2 Daily mail
3 Daily Mirror

Are 2 and 3 also tabloids?

US's top 3 by circulation are:

1 The Wall Street Journal
2 USA Today
3 The NY Times

Yes, the are also tabloids. Though tabloids in the UK sometimes have a political statement of intent, like I have said before it is very base. Their use of vocabulary is comparable to that of a dead badger.

I think, regarding the top circulations in the UK compared to the US is...the US is more politically inclined then we here in the UK. There are far more shows in the US with political agendas and there is a much greater divide within the US regarding politics.

With the UK...I think it's harder to explain. It probably has more to do with the public mind set - we, as a nation, are very cynical and observant (sometimes) and only ever pick up our ears when there is a scandal. Political scandals in the UK probably have more influence on election outcomes than policies. The tabloids present politics in a way that the common Joe will related to. If I were to give something like The Telegraph or the Guardian to a builder then he would more often than not throw it back in my face and ask for something with fewer words. We also have very few TV shows relating to politics - excluding regular news spots...off the top of my head only a few shows comes to mind from the past few decades (Have I got News For You, The Thick Of It, Yes, Prime Minister....there's probably more which have slipped my mind though).

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff, the ways we differ. Shame so many see differences as a bad thing.

I created a thread about Dining Out once, what people enjoy and dislike about service. I learned a little about you guys in that thread....

Thanks again DDDOOOOOOMMMY HAPPYNEWYEAR

new topics

top topics

join