It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration: We Can and Will Force Christians to Act Against Their Faith

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The first Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Pretty darn clear to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You know what blows me away? Going back to the quote I posted first, taken from a Non-Political legal reporting service on court filings and cases, they ARE compromising as it is.

As the filing indicates, they're willing to allow all manner of contraceptives ... and that's a BIG deal to compromise, whatever the anti-religion crowds consider it. They just won't budge on one main thing. The Morning After or Abortion Pill...and that IS precisely how Christian Faith sees that little pill.

Typical Government compromise offered in return tho. You do everything ..EVERYTHING we say and we'll compromise by not fining you into ruin. Yeah.... Sounds about right for the times. Even the courts aren't helpful anymore.
(TEMPORARY injunction..that would have just ruined everything or what? Sheesh)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your right to exercise your religion doesn't extend to other people. If you want to believe, go for it, but that doesn't give you the right to tell anyone else what they can or can't do with their body. Or, to put it a different way: what would you be saying if the employer was a Jehovah's Witness and refused to give employees coverage for blood transfusions?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

If you don't like it, get another health coverage simple as that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by beezzer

Your right to exercise your religion doesn't extend to other people.

Quite true.

If you want to believe, go for it, but that doesn't give you the right to tell anyone else what they can or can't do with their body.

Why doesn't this extend to government?

Or, to put it a different way: what would you be saying if the employer was a Jehovah's Witness and refused to give employees coverage for blood transfusions?

Hyperbole. Before employment, it would be spelled out. carpe diem

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

But surely abortion is against these Christians faith, just seems like one rule for the christian''s and another for people who prefer to live in the dark agers and outside normal society.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

So much for being equal.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Forcing a corporation to do something is a little different than forcing a human to do something. I think the Christian still has the right to act in accordance with his faith despite these changes. A corporation, we know, isn't human and therefore is incapable of having a religious belief.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

So, Let me get this right.

According to you Folks who are Appalled by the Meanie Muslim POTUS picking on the God Nuts.

I as a Pacifist, will now be able to take out that % of Taxes i pay towards the US Global Imperialistic World Tour.,..
Of Course only because it goes against something I believe Religiously.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Shouldn't force either one, if corporations are seen as a person in court why would they not be seen as one in this case.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

So, Let me get this right.

According to you Folks who are Appalled by the Meanie Muslim POTUS picking on the God Nuts.

I as a Pacifist, will now be able to take out that % of Taxes i pay towards the US Global Imperialistic World Tour.,..
Of Course only because it goes against something I believe Religiously.

The 1st Amendment clearly states that the government shall not infringe upon the religious beliefs of others. What is so hard to understand?
edit on 31-12-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Because it defies all logic. I understand corporate personhood, but I cannot understand how religious rights extend to artificial persons. Corporations don't die, they don't pray, they don't age, they don't get sick, they are without souls etc. The people who run them still have their individual rights intact.

I just cannot fathom the absurdity of such an idea, and abstracting a corporation into a human, and giving it the freedom of religion rights as if it was an individual human is a mind-bending step outside of reality.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think I am 1/100th sioux indian does that qualify? If not I can allways become a muslim.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
ATS, who is with me?

I'm going to start a company that prints toilet paper rolls.

I'll print one set of rolls with the first ten amendments. I'll print the second set of rolls with the Ten Commandments.

Then we can all get rich quick before jumping like lemmings off the fiscal cliff!

(I'm kidding. I don't endorse any kind of disrespectful or psychopathic behavior at all.)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
Forcing a corporation to do something is a little different than forcing a human to do something. I think the Christian still has the right to act in accordance with his faith despite these changes. A corporation, we know, isn't human and therefore is incapable of having a religious belief.

So... because you own a business and it grows to be a large one ... your right to run that business in accordance with the tenets of your Faith is null and void? We, as Americans, have watched various levels of Constitutional Rights given to terrorists caught ON the Battlefield...IN combat. Those men are given rights from the Constitution. However, this man is denied those rights because his isn't a mom and pop cafe in some one horse town but he happens to own a chain of Hobby supply stores and CHRISTIAN Book Stores.

You realize most SMALL businesses ARE corporations?? The big trend and push for personal and civil liability have been on for many years to Incorporate ..even a sole proprietorship. MOST of the Owner Operators I knew in trucking that took it more seriously than something to max out with chrome accessories and gizmos of every description...were incorporated.

Where this blind hate comes from to all things "corporate" is absolutely baffling. It's obviously not from anyone who has ever been on the Business owner side of life for even a brief time. The ability to selectively choose who should or should not be given Constitutional rights within our nation is really something to see...and it's a day I never thought I'd see come.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If you want to have a business, and as a result are required to employ people, one needs suck it up that not everyone, even the employees, will agree 100% with any and every voiced and unvoiced interpretation of a belief system held by owners.

If the owners want nothing but employees that believe the same exact things they do where the employees by faith, and advanced signed legal contract, waive any and all human rights they might think they have in favor of the whims and interpretations of their new religious leader and employer, then, the owners should move their business to some island nation they own where they can get away with violating human rights in favor of what whims they have on the interpretations of some mythology derived from filthy incestuous slave owning desert nomads.

As an employer in the United States, one must observe and attend to all applicable US laws pertaining to the keeping of employees.
Business ownership does not equal = Religious leader.

edit on 31-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by manicminxx
ATS, who is with me?

I'm going to start a company that prints toilet paper rolls.

I'll print one set of rolls with the first ten amendments. I'll print the second set of rolls with the Ten Commandments.

Then we can all get rich quick before jumping like lemmings off the fiscal cliff!

(I'm kidding. I don't endorse any kind of disrespectful or psychopathic behavior at all.)

You've inspired me, how about toilet rolls with pictures of guns for the NRA nuts and Jesus for the christians? I mean these people love these things respectively, so what better way to show your love than by wiping your ass with them

Marketing genius, could make billions

edit on 31-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Are you saying a corporation can practice religion? Is it you or your business that prays?

We, as individuals, have the same individual human rights despite this ruling. We can go home and do whatever we wish in regards to faith, but by operating as a corporation responsible for employees, rules must be followed. If a corporation doesn't want to bend itself to meet the demands of its secular employees, it should discriminate and hire only Christians.

edit on 31-12-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: grammar

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

If the owners want nothing but employees that believe the same exact things they do where the employees by faith, and advanced signed legal contract, waive any and all human rights they might think they have in favor of the whims and interpretations of their new religious leader and employer, then, the owners should move their business to some island nation they own where they can get away with violating human rights in favor of what whims they have on the interpretations of some mythology derived from filthy incestuous slave owning desert nomads.

Whoa... Where are you coming from? I've lost ya..... Are we talking about this SPECIFIC case now or has this case just become the punching bag for a whole general area of American society? If it's this specific case...how is refusing to supply abortion pills (and ONLY that one thing) violating anyone's "Human Rights"? I think we're getting real loose and casual with that term to mean almost anything to anyone and cover just about any conduct one wants it to.

The "Obamacare" law requires business and organizations, except for religious entities such as churches, to provide access to contraception coverage. The plaintiffs claim they do not object to providing insurance coverage for every contraceptive, but do object to the so-called "morning-after pill," which they consider an abortifacient.
(Source)

No one's claiming to be a religious leader .... However, it has never, in this history of this nation, taken court fights and this kind of radical justifications to simply run a business along the lines of one's personally held religious faith without the Federal Government interfering down to the level of what benefit is offered to every employee.

We're still seeing cases here challenging the whole CONCEPT of Federal authority to mandate ANY health care (and my state has outright passed a Constitutional Amendment literally outlawing this Obama-care garbage or anyone from penalizing a resident of my state at ANY level for non-compliance with it...we aren't the only state that has, either.) Hobby Lobby is welcome to transfer from Oklahoma to Missouri. I'm sure we'd love the business and base they carry if they need a state that will support their rights as practiced freely here until 2009.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join