It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hardest Logic Problem In the World

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidFusion
First question "do you Always speak the truth?"
Second question "Was the previous question answered honestly?"
Third question "Does Da mean Yes?"

From there is just compare the responses
edit on 31-12-2012 by LucidFusion because: (no reason given)

Same problem as previous. An example answer sequence from your questions:

DDD

Possible god arrangements:

LRT
RLT

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I don't understand.

Where are the questions?
edit on 083131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The point of the exercise is that you have to formulate the questions to deduce which god is which. Needless to say, you've failed at the first hurdle

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

The point of the exercise is that you have to formulate the questions to deduce which god is which. Needless to say, you've failed at the first hurdle

Pathetic isn't it?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Could someone, like, draw me a picture?

I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Could someone, like, draw me a picture?

I don't get it.

You have 3 gods in front of you: one who always lies, one who always tells the truth and one who only gives random answers. The gods will only answer yes or no questions. Furthermore, you can only ask 3 questions: one for each god (there's also the caveat that instead of "yes" and "no" they use "da" and "ja", of which you don't know which means yes and which means no) but each god's question can be different (3 separate questions to ask, one for each god).

So, the challenge is to figure out a set of 3 questions you can ask which will reveal which god is which. For example, if your first question is for the first god and the question is "are you a liar?", the random god will answer yes or no, the liar god will answer yes and the truth god will answer no (but of course with the caveat that they will use "da" and "ja" instead of "yes" and "no", but you aren't told whether "da" means yes or no).

Needless to say, it's a tricky challenge. Most people are going for single "are you blah blah blah"-style questions which I am fairly sure are not the correct line of attack. I'd imagine a more elaborate set of Boolean algebraic questions would be the key to solving the puzzle.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

thanks that was helpful.

Is it like I am the god and I am asking and answering the question?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh no

That's not good,

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by sirric

Each man payed 9 dollars for the room. There is no missing dollar.

9x3 = 27 + 2 (In the bellboys pocket) = 29. Therefor, there's a "missing" dollar.
edit on 31-12-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

Best explanation found for this one:

www.snopes.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Lets see if the house doesn't pass the bill that stops the automatic tax cuts then the government automatically takes in a lot more revenue than it would from Obamas compromise of only raising taxes on the wealthy. Neither party gets blamed because the higher taxes were implemented "automatically".

The cuts to the military complex and other programs can be reversed in January by the new Congress in that case since we now have more revenue right?

If we go through with the compromise of only raising taxes on the wealthy the decision about program cuts is put off till February but there will be less revenue available at that time.

You live in a house where all four walls face south. A bear walks by, what color is the bear?

Same color as the house.

edit on 1-1-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I haven't even started to tackle this yet, but after reading 2 pages of replies...a lot of people can't even comprehend the question, let alone attempt to solve it! This is one of the biggest problems in the world today - people don't know what they don't know! Many are completely leaving out the language aspect, amd thinking they can lock this down with 3 simple and obvious questions. Anyhow, I'm kinda disappointed to see so many people thinking they have it worked out so easily, but glad I didn't read a post answering it, or at least giving a strong line of reasoning. Looking forward to a brutally slow day-after-new year's day, grabbing pen and paper and working on this one. Thanks for the great problem!! Flagged : )

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauliflower
Lets see if the house doesn't pass the bill that stops the automatic tax cuts then the government automatically takes in a lot more revenue than it would from Obamas compromise of only raising taxes on the wealthy. Neither party gets blamed because the higher taxes were implemented "automatically".

The cuts to the military complex and other programs can be reversed in January by the new Congress in that case since we now have more revenue right?

If we go through with the compromise of only raising taxes on the wealthy the decision about program cuts is put off till February but there will be less revenue available at that time.

You live in a house where all four walls face south. A bear walks by, what color is the bear?

Same color as the house.

edit on 1-1-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

WTH? Did this just become an open thread about any topic whatsoever? From a logic problem to a discussion of fiscal cliff?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

It's considered a brain teaser because after the $1.00 refund, each man has paid $9.00 for the room (9 x 3 = 27) and the bellboy has $2.00 thus $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Where did the remaining $1.00 go?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Byrd

I don't understand.

Where are the questions?
edit on 083131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

You have to figure it out. The answer is given in the link... if you click and read the PDF>

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I wondered that myself, but considering how confused I am by the whole thing I didn't say anything,
lol

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

OK I will do that, I did, but I am lazy I guess,

I'm gonna work on it.
Serious don't have the education and the brains for this but I want to understand .

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Yike! Does that mean I'm going to have to explain it to everyone?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yaaaay!! I love puzzles!!
Sounds like a good group discussion with friends, next time were together.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
can a God answer a question wth anthing other than da or Ja - Ja
Does Ja mean true or false? True
Did the false God just speak?
edit on 3-1-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join