It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible the Word of God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
reply to post by jhill76

The word "it" is just as easy, you don't even have to type an extra letter. Or do you like perpetuating that silly "Christian" notion that women are inferior to men and ought to be subservient? (What Jesus supposedly "said" even confirms that he would forbid using women as domestic slaves)

As many know on here of I, that I do not follow religion, you are in error in your assumptions.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

Better to believe in aliens, reptillians, giant spaceships flying around the earth than the existence of a God?

Aristotle has said that it is the mark of an educated mind to entertain an idea without accepting it. In other words, don't dismiss it out of hand, but don't attach yourself to it either. I tend to agree with such sentiment, as an idea can lead in the wrong direction on a grain of truth, or it can take a falsehood and still prompt realistic thoughts.

Nothing is clear cut. The flexibility of an open mind can do anything with any idea.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I asked a question which gave you a chance to refute what you consider assumptions. And you chose not to answer it, btw.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
reply to post by jhill76

I asked a question which gave you a chance to refute what you consider assumptions. And you chose not to answer it, btw.

You asked of me a Christian reference, again it stands, I do not follow religion. So, I will not be able to answer your question.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

You say you do not follow religion. What, then, is your spiritual path?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jhill76

You say you do not follow religion. What, then, is your spiritual path?

This will be difficult to answer, as I do not deal in labels. I will say that Father and I are very close. I pose questions as to hear from all sides, even the ones who do not believe in such things. I am interested in all of these aspects from others point of view.

With self, I just am more aware of the unseen.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by stupid girl

So I guess it would depend on whether or not you believed the Bible. If you do, then it is. If you don't, then it's not.

It has been a while!

So, would every word be of his, or most of it is, with some thoughts of the writer added in?

Yes, it has. I hope you have been well.

If someone believes the Bible to be true, then they must believe it is all inspired, from cover to cover. True adherents are not to pick and choose, lest in so doing they subject themselves to the standard of man, insomuch as what is valid and what is not, therefore completely negating their proclaimed faith in God.

Jesus said, "Now He said to them, 'These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.' Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. "

The Law of Moses, the Prophets and Psalms-- that pretty much sums up the OT other than historical chronicles (which, IMO, were articulately addressed above by wjones837).

Jesus Himself authorized their validity, thus anyone who believes the Bible to be true and considers themselves a follower of Christ must necessarily honor that validation in its entirety. Followers of Christ are instructed to apply themselves diligently towards rightly dividing the Word of Truth and refrain from getting entangled in conversations of vain debate.

"Keep reminding people of this, and charge them solemnly before the Lord not to engage in word-battles. They accomplish nothing useful and are a catastrophe for the hearers! Do all you can to present yourself to God as someone worthy of his approval, as a worker with no need to be ashamed, because he deals straightforwardly with the Word of the Truth (or "rightly divides").
But keep away from godless babbling, for those who engage in it will only become more ungodly, and their teaching will eat away at people like gangrene....
Nevertheless, God’s firm foundation stands, stamped with these words:
“The Lord knows his own,”
and,
“Let everyone who claims he belongs to the Lord stand apart from wrongdoing.” 2 Tim 2:14

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I will say that Father and I are very close. I pose questions as to hear from all sides, even the ones who do not believe in such things. I am interested in all of these aspects from others point of view.

What "Father" do you speak of? Be specific, so that we can understand your point of view.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
[
“The Lord knows his own,”

You must become God to apprehend God (or comprehend, for that matter) , for like is known only unto like.

..However, I do recognise the Spark when I sees it.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Think of it like this:

The Lord wants a flock, God wants friends.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jhill76

I will say that Father and I are very close. I pose questions as to hear from all sides, even the ones who do not believe in such things. I am interested in all of these aspects from others point of view.

What "Father" do you speak of? Be specific, so that we can understand your point of view.

The one that others call God, many describe him differently, but it is still the same God.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

The Bible records that we were created by Him, in His image.
Thus I would assume that He can easily determine among His own creation those which reflect that image sharper than others.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Thus I would assume that He can easily determine among His own creation those which reflect that image sharper than others.

Considering that he is generally agreed to be omniscient and omnipotent, that would also mean that he DESIGNED some reflections to be sharper than others. Is it fair to hold that against them?

"Damn you mirror! I know I cut a few corners while making you, but damn you anyway! How could you be so crass as to give me a blurry reflection! Now I cannot admire myself in your depths!" *puts fist through mirror*

^^^ does that make any sense to you?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Considering that he is generally agreed to be omniscient and omnipotent, that would also mean that he DESIGNED some reflections to be sharper than others. Is it fair to hold that against them?

Yes. But, some reflections can learn to become sharper as well. It's not like a piece of glass, when once you make it, it is done, but man can evolve.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Yes. But, some reflections can learn to become sharper as well. It's not like a piece of glass, when once you make it, it is done, but man can evolve.

There are two options here:

One, he designed us so that we would desire to wear ourselves down rather than become sharper.

Two, he designed us to become sharper but placed a myriad of obstacles in our design to make it difficult. Then he breaks us when we fail.

Either way, it is his fault more than it is ours. This is purely logical. I will admit I am flawed. I prefer to be flawed. It gives me more to do. I'd rather not be perfect - who really wants to sit around admiring their own lack of ability to improve?

And if that's what "God" wants, then he had bigger problems than getting us to behave. Incidentally, I thought you said you don't subscribe to Christianity?
edit on 31-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The one that others call God, many describe him differently, but it is still the same God.

Make up your mind. Either you do not follow Christianity, or you do. You cannot have it both ways. Riding the fence makes it difficult to understand where you are coming from.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Two, he designed us to become sharper but placed a myriad of obstacles in our design to make it difficult. Then he breaks us when we fail.

Or, the obstacles can make you become stronger. Take for instance when tragedy strikes, like a tornado. Many get upset, but they get back up and become stronger from that experience. Or, when a tire blows out from your vehicle. You know what to do next time around, everything is always a learning experience.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Make up your mind. Either you do not follow Christianity, or you do. You cannot have it both ways. Riding the fence makes it difficult to understand where you are coming from.

I do not follow Christianity. Why do I have to follow that to speak of Father?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

^^^ does that make any sense to you?

Ever seen the 13th Floor?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

No, that doesn't make any sense.

It only makes sense if you believe that God designed mankind with the free will to choose how sharply they wanted to reflect that image.
The rain falls on believers and unbelievers alike. Also the crippled and the fit, the poor and the rich, and those that murder and those that heal.
However, it is up to each individual to choose to invest in the effort to seek out an umbrella.

.....and I totally LOL'd when I envisioned "God" punching a mirror....

(I'm such a dork, the thumbs down emoticon is right above the laughing one.....I meant to click the laughing, not the thumbs down....)
edit on 31-12-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join