It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible the Word of God?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Like all works of spirit that have re-imagined and interpreted by man...

You must read between the lines!

If you are taking it literally you are missing the point completely.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
short answer absolutely not, and if it is then we are in major trouble
because whoever actually wrote the books therein had some major
issues, both socially and mentally, they were mostly violent war
loving thieves who found it perfectly ok to rape pillage and enslave
anyone who got in their gods way.....

also i love the claim that one must interpret the bible, so god decided
his message was so clear he could speak in code and accomplish what
he had set out to when he supposedly created this religion, basically saying
that is tantamount to saying it is impossible to become saved because
we do not know who interpreted it properly........ this is all so crazy lol
edit on 31-12-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

So I guess it would depend on whether or not you believed the Bible. If you do, then it is. If you don't, then it's not.

It has been a while!

So, would every word be of his, or most of it is, with some thoughts of the writer added in?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
When Christians say that the Bible is the word of God, they are speaking of divine inspiration, and Paul refers to it in 2 Tim 3:16, saying it is "God-breathed". Divine inspiration for Christians is different from what Muslims hold with the Quran, for instance. They believe that the angel dictated to Muhammad exactly word-for-word, with no input from Muhammad whatsoever. So we never learn anything, really, about the prophet and who he was from the text itself. But Christian inspiration holds that God has influenced the writers by the Holy Spirit to write down certain events, people, places, and revelations. That leaves the writers personality, perspective, and writing style intact. In a sense, you can say that God compelled them to write, and the preservation of these texts are His stamp of approval.

There are places where we can see the authors place their words in. 1 Corinthians 7:6-8 Paul recommends that one stays single and not pursue marriage, but he clearly makes the distinction between his thoughts and the command of God. He would rather a man stay single to focus on spiritual things, but this is not a command. Or in the prophets, as they attempt to describe the things they see in their visions, they appear to struggle to make it clear to the reader, and we are left wondering what they really saw. Or in the Psalms, where we view the Psalmist questioning God, even doubting, much like Job. None of this takes away from the inspiration; they are just being human, attempting to convey things they don't understand.

So when Christians say the Bible is the word of God, they mean that this is the true testament of God's dealing with these men, and God Himself has preserved these accounts for our knowledge, and by standing on their shoulders, and following the teachings they were taught, we can come to the same knowledge of God.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
Like all works of spirit that have re-imagined and interpreted by man...

You must read between the lines!

If you are taking it literally you are missing the point completely.

This is true, which can completely and entirely dismiss all the churches as a whole, because they ALL take many points literally, interpretatively, and try and wrap a meaning around it as some kind of revelatory moment.

The largest mistake; (purposeful) is to convince the people that Jesus is the Sole Son of God, in the flesh and that all are lesser than him, can never be like him, and therefore must worship him.

This completely destroys the message of such an advanced soul, who came again to remind others how great it is to find God on your own, WITHIN.

And to do it even more powerfully than he did.

Too bad, everyone now feels inferior and have been stopped cold by the incredibly negative religions, and especially by the one that keeps souls in check, Christianity, keeps them feeling like they are on the right track, but are actually completely held back from growth, without even knowing it and CELEBRATING the FACT !

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I see many on here and even offline speak of the Bible being the Word of God. Is this true?

If I open up to any section of said Bible, I will get this:

Ezekiel 1:1

In my thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.

or

2 Cor. 12:2

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows.

I see the above scripture and many others, speak of a person speaking these things about their own experiences with God or his angels, or their own life.

When others speak on the Bible being the word of God, are they saying every word is of his? Or, are they saying, it is his word to us?

So if it is or isn't the Word of God, what ultimate purpose does the Bible serve us?

It's a regurgitation of Mesolithic myth! Moses = Akhenaton! Christ=Caesar (or Horus, or Zoroaster, or..) ! Jehovah/JOVE=Jupiter=Enlil!

It is a blueprint for global domination, passed down through the ruling bloodlines. I would write more, but I am so used to being overlooked on this site, I just can't be bothered any more. The truth is out there if you seek it, otherwise the lies will eat you alive.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wjones837

So when Christians say the Bible is the word of God, they mean that this is the true testament of God's dealing with these men, and God Himself has preserved these accounts for our knowledge, and by standing on their shoulders, and following the teachings they were taught, we can come to the same knowledge of God.

I appreciate that answer, that explains it quite well.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

It is a blueprint for global domination, passed down through the ruling bloodlines. I would write more, but I am so used to being overlooked on this site, I just can't be bothered any more. The truth is out there if you seek it, otherwise the lies will eat you alive.

You are not overlooked by I. I would appreciate would you have to offer on this.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Since "god" is the absolutely mystifying and incomprehensible energy that binds the fabric of the universe and has no gender or apparent "will" or "plan," I would have to say NO, it does not. The Bible is entirely a human construct!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
Since "god" is the absolutely mystifying and incomprehensible energy that binds the fabric of the universe and has no gender or apparent "will" or "plan," I would have to say NO, it does not. The Bible is entirely a human construct!

Would you say God has a plan, just not for us to know?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

You are not overlooked by I. I would appreciate would you have to offer on this.

All roads lead to Rome... I believe that's what he's referring to - the way the Romans lied about Jesus having superpowers and being born to a virgin (talk about gullible; we know how babies are made) to manipulate and enslave their fellow humans. And guess what, it worked. People still send their hard earned dollars to the Pope and we are naming scientific discoveries in a "dead" language!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I believe the nature of the universe and the unique energy which binds it does not have a human like consciousness and so we are in error to ascribe to it human qualities, like the need to "plan." Obviously humans are still afraid of the unknown, that's why people have this obsessive need to explain away all the secrets with this blanket term "God." Nobody living today knows how old humans are or how the Earth came to exist. I must reject all erroneous claims that the Bible represents the will of the universe or a monopoly of truth. It's OK to not know, and it's OK to admit to not knowing.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by TheChosenKing

The Bible is not a great historical reference ,it has to many inconsistencies and fiction incorporated into it.

Does that mean that book can't describe God, or there is no God because their is no God?

To describe God would be to limit Him ( and I use Him rather than it because it sounds more respectful and because Jesus referred to Him as Father...that implies male-ness. But I do not believe God has a gender. That also would be limiting an unlimited being.)

As a Christian I have faith that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Any seeming inconsistancies are merely misunderstanding the passage in question.

Bible bashing by people who haven't read the entire book is getting rather droll.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Nobody living today knows how old humans are or how the Earth came to exist.

I disagree on this point, but that is for another thread.

I believe the nature of the universe and the unique energy which binds it does not have a human like consciousness and so we are in error to ascribe to it human qualities, like the need to "plan."

This is an interesting point. Many do try and fit God into a bubble of what he would and wouldn't do. No one can say of this unless they are up there with him day in and day out to see what he does and why he does it.

I use the word he for ease of us.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

To describe God would be to limit Him ( and I use Him rather than it because it sounds more respectful and because Jesus referred to Him as Father...that implies male-ness. But I do not believe God has a gender. That also would be limiting an unlimited being.)

Understood. I asked of that question as I see some who don't believe in God, merely because of the way the bible currently is today.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I even disagree with your use of the term "he" to describe your "God." Something as powerful as the creator and (absentee) ruler of the universe has a gender? Why would God even have sex organs?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by jhill76

I even disagree with your use of the term "he" to describe your "God." Something as powerful as the creator and (absentee) ruler of the universe has a gender? Why would God even have sex organs?

The ones above do not have sexual parts as man does, nor does Father.

Many assume he is absent because he is not seen or his work is seen.

Again, I use the word he for easy reference to others here.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Would you say God has a plan, just not for us to know?

What is God? Who is God? Is this even a True Reality? What if this were a dream? Are there not so many problems on Earth at the moment that surely the notion of a God Involved is but a pipe-dream? Would it not stand to reason, that a Universal Mind would refrain from any interference aside from a bit of good advice, if at all? How worried are you about the development and evolution of the ant colony in your back yard? Is it that you don't love them that you do not worry, or are you so far removed in terms of awareness and knowledge that one cannot communicate with the other? Perhaps it is that you understand their nature, and allow them to progress in their own right.

Now, consider something like the Bible - and the width (or lack thereof) of its philosophy; surely we have surpassed these fundamentally (pardon the pun
) degenerate principles? It is a rare occasion that we bury our neighbour up to his or her neck and stone them for worshiping foreign gods, or laying with another man, etc etc - if the Bible is the perfect word of God, have we not surpassed this individual with our understanding and concepts of morality?

..or perhaps these were not the perfect morals of God at all. Perhaps the rule and rank was usurped by a covetous and sinister band of universal delinquents?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

A good portion of the Bible was written shortly after Jesus's death, All of the apostle's wrote their works after his death. I am in full agreement that the original scriptures have been modified to meet the power to be at the times agendas. I am quite sure if both the Vatican and the Israeli's would open up their treasure chests, we would learn some interesting things.
That being said, if you fully understand the new testament, what was changed isn't really relevant as the intent of God's and Jesus message. it will be clear to those who believe, it will be meaningless for those who don't. Why do atheists spend so much time debunking a God they do not believe in? Wouldn't your time be better spent in doing good deeds and helping humanity, is that the nature of a non religous persons soul?

Better to believe in aliens, reptillians, giant spaceships flying around the earth than the existence of a God?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The word "it" is just as easy, you don't even have to type an extra letter. Or do you like perpetuating that silly "Christian" notion that women are inferior to men and ought to be subservient? (What Jesus supposedly "said" even confirms that he would forbid using women as domestic slaves)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join