It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible the Word of God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I believe the Bible is the word of God, meaning things he wants us to know about Him, his son, his plan, and how we should live during this existence on Earth........as far as it is translated correctly. There are obvious errors, omissions, additions, interpretations......man has truly gilded the lily, as it were. It's why in my own spiritual life I do not trust in the Bible alone.
Despite the findings of science that seem to negate the Bible, there is truth. That makes it important to me and other Christians and Jews. We decide our own truth, hopefully living a good life.....which means making the world a better place for our being on it. That should be the mark of all religion. It should be the hope of every person, whether religious or not.
Seeing something I consider to be important to my own daily existence denigrated daily hurts, in a small way. But we all have our own freedom to choose. I stay silent against those who choose to not believe and would really feel better if my own right to believe is given the same treatment.
I am not weak-minded, lower intelligence, or gullible, I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. It is my right to do so. I offer comment only when asked, like this post has done.
I save ridicule for those who see clouds and think "chemtrails" and other stupid beliefs that fly in the face of empirical science. Those who choose to believe nonsense in the face of the hard facts of science to the contrary need to be given a smack upside the head with a smart stick, if there were such a thing.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
it's just my two cents tossed in from a bunny in the ether here, but I've always wondered how anyone can actually say the Bible is the direct and literal Word of God. As others note, translation alone has butchered whatever first stood as the texts and entire sections have been modified, edited or dropped deliberately over the centuries as I understand this.

I'd say the Bible may well have had Divine inspiration as they saw it and felt it but in the end, it was written by man for man with all the failings and errors of man.

If anything, in trying to get a sense of what the Scriptures were truly meant to communicate, I look to the Old Testament and not the New. That's not terribly popular for many though because Jesus wasn't around in the Old to make everyone feel good and make wine for them. God wasn't a warm, fuzzy and forgiving guy looking to embrace.

He was a vengeful and downright brutal God when crossed and strikes me as largely 'it's your world...have at it' outside of that. That strikes me as far more likely to hold truth than the image of everything man would WANT God to be..which is where the New is based, IMO.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

Despite the findings of science that seem to negate the Bible, there is truth.

I save ridicule for those who see clouds and think "chemtrails" and other stupid beliefs that fly in the face of empirical science. Those who choose to believe nonsense in the face of the hard facts of science to the contrary need to be given a smack upside the head with a smart stick, if there were such a thing.

I respect your right to believe, but you are the pot calling the kettle black, and for that I take my respect away.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Jesus has some good sound bites though. You can't deny that.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Amazing, isn't it? God, through the Bible, gave us EVERYTHING we need to find Him, without molesting free will. Without leaving a shred of proof, that would destroy the whole purpose of seeking Him out.

Can't you see that it is as much about the journey, as it is the destination? When you resolve your own issues, the meaning is pure. When you rely on others' speculations or choose not to seek your own answers, you not only fail Him, but you fail yourselves.

This wherein lies the Why! Of course He could have left us proof. But were God's plan common knowledge, there would be no reason for human life.

The question is not whether He exists, for even the greatest of all the angels, knows he does.
The question is, Why are we allowed this life, to discover for ourselves, the nature of God?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

You said this...

...Despite the findings of science that seem to negate the Bible, there is truth. That makes it important to me and other Christians and Jews. We decide our own truth...

Then you say this...

And you don't see a problem here?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

While the books were literally written by mortal men, the way that the Bible is written can not, in any way, be attributed solely to our own mortal thoughts.

This is interesting. The verse I referenced in the OP, even talks about Paul leaving the body and experiencing more of what is not usually shown.

2 Cor. 12:2-4

know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.

Along with many other passages, this rings true. Many things that are spoken had to come from somewhere else.

But, would you say that sometimes the writers own mind came into play in certain parts?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
[color=gold]
The bible CONTAINS the word of the LORD and for any to challenge it who is intelligent enough to know its been attacked to disrupt or control and still add evol ignorance w/ intent to spread doubt and further genetic and conscious degrading of the EA*RTH herd (with wash mind technologies)? . Well that is the will of the who wishes to challenge the WORD spoken to MAN recorded within 1 of the Great books, the BIBLE.. The WORD of the LORD.

NAMASTE
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Amazing, isn't it? God, through the Bible, gave us EVERYTHING we need to find Him, without molesting free will. Without leaving a shred of proof, that would destroy the whole purpose of seeking Him out.

Very interesting conclusion. Many others say because he is not seen, he is not there.

The question is, Why are we allowed this life, to discover for ourselves, the nature of God?

Good question. What happens if we don't discover him for ourselves? Will there be another chance?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Why do we constantly attempt to use our feeble temporary forms, to comprehend something so extraordinary?
Think with your heart, NOT your mind. For, it is the space between the synapses that define us. Not the grey matter on each end.

I know. It sounds funny, but ask your favorite neuro-surgeon to define the impulses between neurons, where the charges come from, and where it goes when we die, and watch his or her expressions as they blow their own mind...
Also, look at what the current scientific theory is, on what outer space is actually made of. Based on the lastest calculations, all of the visible matter in the universe, is only a tiny fraction of what there should be...So...What exists in the part that looks like nothing? I'll give you a hint. It's the most powerful Force of all!

AKJV John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know. 5 Thomas said to him, Lord, we know not where you go; and how can we know the way? 6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me......

The Lord Jesus, is the Way, the Truth, and the Life...I see that He resides in you.
And, know that your emptiness is because the prince of this world, has taken control of it. And as his worldly power takes hold of those around you, it also works to undo as much Faith as it can.

Where we fail as Christians, is in our lack of ability to discern the Truth from the deceptor.
It's all there in black and white, with a little Red. Read the Red, and the fairytales will shine bright with the Truth.

God Bless

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
possibly under an overlord as understood under their command(S) if you needed re Class/chance, 1 wonders?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The Lord Jesus, is the Way, the Truth, and the Life...I see that He resides in you. And, know that your emptiness is because the prince of this world, has taken control of it. And as his worldly power takes hold of those around you, it also works to undo as much Faith as it can.

Are you speaking to I, or another?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Also:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you.....

25 These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid...

30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me.

He has left us all that we need to find Him.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The Bible says, "Seek, and you will Find".

Most interpret this to mean it is a journey. But, I postulate this. Once you have humbled yourself, and allowed your desire to be evident, you have FOUND, what you are looking for. The "journey" is just the process of bringing your understanding back to the beginning, where the Truth still resides.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I know what it is that you seek. This may help, But, I implore you, to continue to seek your own answer!

This is a recount of how I found my answers....

I recall getting "saved" on several occasions as a child in my Mom's church. I even went forward, a few times in those summer church camps, that our church provided. Every time that I would feel ashamed, I would let those who appeared sincerely concerned with my soul, to assist me in walking their path. They would pray with me. And ask me how I felt afterwards. Of course my response, was what they expected of me. But on the inside, I felt no different. Where was the epiphany, described of Jesus, when John baptized Him? There were no angels, or opening of my eyes, as I expected, each time. Maybe I did it wrong? Maybe I was misled? Maybe none of it was real? I thought, maybe I should just give up. But God would have none of that...

My answers came with a simple request. I was in my 30's. I had been going through a lot of personal trials and tribulations. Many of which, had manifested into physical ailments. My body was a wreck. I hadn't eaten in several days, for my inability to keep anything down. The doctors prescribed this and that, as they hurried off to their next payment, I mean patient. Nothing was working. I was literally on death's door. There was no doubt in my mind. It was coming. I began to fear for my soul! Was I prepared to meet my Maker? Had I successfully acquired an entry in the Book of Life?

The following Sunday, I decided to brave the nausea, and forced myself to go to church. I must have looked like death warmed over, based on the responses of those who saw me, there. When the altar call came, I pulled myself up and headed down the aisle. Brother Moffitt, our preacher interrupted his beckoning of the unsaved, and came to my side. I briefly explained my condition and asked to be prayed for. He called on the Elders, and requested a bottle of oil. I could feel every eye that was supposed to be closed, bearing down on me. Pastor annointed me, and all of the Elders layed hands on me, each simultaneously, offering their sincerest prayer in their most powerful voice...
I can't describe fully, the Force, that began surging through my body. I know it was strong enough to diplace every tear that resided in my ducts. I felt, a light that wasn't visible, but seemed to come from within, and filled the entire room. I would not have been surprised to hear everyone say that I was glowing! I felt a strength, that I had NEVER felt, before. It was accompanied, by the most profound calm, that I had ever sensed before, either!
I had finally experienced the Ghost!
This feeling was compounded by my sudden and unexplainable appetite. I couldn't eat much when I returned home, but it was the tastiest can of cold corn, in the world! And with the nourishment, so came my health and physical strength, back.
A few days later, I was sitting on a bench in the yard. Reflecting on the strangeness of recent days. I found myself in prayer, asking God, if what I just came through was real? Was it Him, responding to my humility? Was it REAL? Would He please show me a sign, to confirm that it was His hand, that cradled me, in my time of need?
At that very instant, A small bird flew down, from wherever it was perched and landed right beside me! Literally, inches from my hand. It turned and cocked it's head to look me right in the eye! And I, instantly felt that same feeling that overwhelmed me at the altar, those few days ago!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Other than brainwashed people trying to brainwash you that the bible is the word of God, what evidence do you have that it is?

Oh, and which bible? They're all different.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
According to the Bible, it is.

"Now He said to them, 'These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.' Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. " Lk 24:44

"And thus you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition." Mt 15:6

"thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.” Mk 7:13

"as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction," 2 Pt 3:16

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16

"for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." 2 Pt 1:21

"But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ should suffer, He has thus fulfilled." Acts 3:18

'Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of the one whose price had been set by the sons of Israel;"' Mt 27:9

'Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us.” ' Mt 1:22

'He remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my Son.” ' Mt 2:15

'This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world.” ' Mt 13:35

“And the LORD said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good. I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him." Deut 18:17

So I guess it would depend on whether or not you believed the Bible.
If you do, then it is.
If you don't, then it's not.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Hi jhill,
I'm wondering if you are asking this rhetorically - to see the answers you receive - or actually.

No, the Bible is a collection of men's stories, many wildly embellished by later men (like in "fan fiction"), and "Big Fish Stories" (heh, pun intended).

I agree with many of those who have already posted;
especially that we can't comprehend it truly;

as LesMis said, it's art....literature...an interesting glimpse into man's search for answers to "why are we here?" "Where did we come from?" "Where are we going?" and "How do we get there?"

Humans know we are going to die. We don't know if animals know they are going to die someday as well; but I've had pets who "knew", who just laid down and checked out.

I think the pain and "separation" we feel is indicative of SOMETHING....if not simply fear of death, perhaps it is our "intuition" that tells us there may be something bigger than us....
the fact that we differ SO MUCH from any other Earth species in regards to using tools and developing civil conveniences (like plumbing, transportation, space travel...ALL of it) speaks to the inherent restlessness and curiosity of humans.

Could be that ants, whales, dolphins, ANY OTHER SPECIES wonders just as much as we do; certainly animals mourn - and have emotions (maybe not ants, but mammals do). We have language, writing, and a strange physique (no body hair, only head hair, walking upright, and inventiveness - that seem unequalled (not SUPERIOR, just UNIQUE) among animals. So far.

The thing is, that every species on the planet - plant or animal - is part of the whole, including ourselves. We don't have a monopoly on this Earth; or the Creator's attention (if such a thing exists).

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
reply to post by jhill76

The Bible says, "Seek, and you will Find".

Most interpret this to mean it is a journey. But, I postulate this. Once you have humbled yourself, and allowed your desire to be evident, you have FOUND, what you are looking for. The "journey" is just the process of bringing your understanding back to the beginning, where the Truth still resides.

By this statement alone, I know you have found the Truth. Desire in & of itself is not enough, it must be encapsulated with humility.

Indeed Jesus told us to seek. But what should we be seeking?
He told us that as well. "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness..."
Not our righteousness, or the righteousness displayed by our neighbor, but His. Any other endeavor in righteousness not modeled after Him is flawed and in vain.

When Jesus said to seek, He said it in the context & implication of a perpetual effort, "Asking, it shall be given to you; seeking, ye shall find; knocking, it shall be opened to you;" He then continues in the next verse, "for every one who is asking doth receive, and he who is seeking doth find, and to him who is knocking it shall be opened."

You lived out the Truth of this promise in the testimony of faith you shared on this thread. You never gave up. Deep down, you knew there had to be more than what you experienced thus far. It wasn't until you had reached that level of humility in which a person either folds their cards, or goes all in. Most people don't ever even reach that raw, intimate level of humanity. Of those that do, many simply fold and walk away. But those that continue forward in faith, or stubbornness & hardheadedness, and wrestle with God to make good on His Word like Jacob did, because the only other thing you'd rather do is to die trying, will find their reward-- guaranteed.

God is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
"The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God."

Only when we give Him a blank canvas, can He begin His work of art.
We must completely empty our cup of opinion & speculation, before He can begin to fill it with new wine.

I believe that is part of the mystery of what Jesus meant when He said, "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."
edit on 31-12-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Nope, it is the word of plagiarists, considering the fact that some of the stories in the bible were stolen from older religions and then modified (Noah's Arc, Garden of Eve, Son of God of virgin with 12 disciples, etc.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join