It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible the Word of God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I see many on here and even offline speak of the Bible being the Word of God. Is this true?

If I open up to any section of said Bible, I will get this:

Ezekiel 1:1

In my thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.

or

2 Cor. 12:2

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows.

I see the above scripture and many others, speak of a person speaking these things about their own experiences with God or his angels, or their own life.

When others speak on the Bible being the word of God, are they saying every word is of his? Or, are they saying, it is his word to us?

So if it is or isn't the Word of God, what ultimate purpose does the Bible serve us?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

To document people and historical events as witnessed at that time. Same reason other people write books...scientists are now using the Bible as reference for the historical events and sites.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
No it is not the Word of God ,it has been edited many times and many books were added and taken out.Also there are too many inconsistencies between translations and between different Biblical stories and it is filled with historical inaccuracies. If God could write a book don't you think he would preserve what he originally said.
edit on 30-12-2012 by TheChosenKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
No.

The bible is the word of certain men who think they know god.

For example, if they truly knew "god" they wouldn't have used the word "he."

But it's a great historical reference.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
No, of course it isn't.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
No.

For example, if they truly knew "god" they wouldn't have used the word "he."

But it's a great historical reference.

The Bible is not a great historical reference ,it has to many inconsistencies and fiction incorporated into it. That saying that since Bruce Wayne existed that is proof that Batman existed and had 'superpowers'.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

So if it is or isn't the Word of God, what ultimate purpose does the Bible serve us?

The Bible serves as a template for human life. It contains scripture that can be applied to each and every aspect of our daily lives, besides the fact that it contains the secrets to eternal life. As in, our consciousness, our souls, to continue on forever, intact.

While the books were literally written by mortal men, the way that the Bible is written can not, in any way, be attributed solely to our own mortal thoughts. These profound ideals, can only be Divine, in nature. There is a symmetry and multiple hidden meanings found within it's connotations, that simply, are too perfect to come only from mortal minds.

And the fact, that the Scriptures remain consistent and fully applicable, regardless of, who, what, where or when, they are referenced by, or attached to, are but merely a few of the many Wonders, contained within them.

edit on 12/30/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheChosenKing

The Bible is not a great historical reference ,it has to many inconsistencies and fiction incorporated into it.

Does that mean that book can't describe God, or there is no God because their is no God?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

The Bible is not a great historical reference ,it has to many inconsistencies and fiction incorporated into it.

Does that mean that book can't describe God, or there is no God because their is no God?

God cannot be limited by the constraints of human languages.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Then how are we to know if someone truly knows God or not? Or, do we find out on our own?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheChosenKing
God cannot be limited by the constraints of human languages.

This, is true...

There exists NO language, that can even begin to describe, Pure Love. Let alone communicate this meaning to another.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The Bible is not a great historical reference ,it has to many inconsistencies and fiction incorporated into it. That saying that since Bruce Wayne existed that is proof that Batman existed and had 'superpowers'.

A reference doesn't offer proof, only a reference. For things both useful and not useful. An archaic medical text can also be useful for what NOT to do, no?

And Batman comics are rad, if nothing else!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Same purpose the Harry Potter stories serve. They make for an interesting departure from reality time to time...assuming we can tell the difference between reality and make-believe, of course.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

reply to post by otherpotato

Then how are we to know if someone truly knows God or not? Or, do we find out on our own?

I have always felt the point was to know god personally. If I hear "a man of god" speak, or act, and my soul calls foul on those words or actions - I move on.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think the Bible is a collection of stories over a long period of time. The stories should be taken as metaphors and not as direct as people tend take them.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I look at this way. If the Bible was suppose to be important then Jesus would have sat down and had it put together while he was alive instead of letting some other guys hundreds of year down the road put it together.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
I look at this way. If the Bible was suppose to be important then Jesus would have sat down and had it put together while he was alive instead of letting some other guys hundreds of year down the road put it together.

Aint that the truth.

I'm always suspicious of any book that ends up on the bestseller list.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Like all literature, it serves as a piece of art and perhaps as a glimpse into a different time.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The Bible, in my opinion, should not be taken as literal events and more so speaks in metaphors. Though I do find it fascinating that evidence of the events have been found.

I do feel you can gain a lot of knowledge of spirituality through reading the teachings of the bible and any other religious book, so long as you don't attached yourself to a certain one and have the openness to learn from them all.

(the bible read now has been heavily edited anyway, so even if it was originally the words of a god... it's not now.)

I do believe that Jesus Christ was a highly spiritual man, who was sent here to teach human beings, though i do not feel he is the literal son of "God".. I do not see god as having a gender either and is more so energy.. Unless you want to go all out into the Ancient Alien theory.. I'm all for that.

Nowadays I feel the bible serves the purpose of control, leading the blind and ignorantly faithful.
edit on 30-12-2012 by ssophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

There is wisdom to be found in the bible however. That I can't deny. You have to look for it however. With an open mind and an open heart. Without a preconceived agenda. There are godlike moments to be found in the strangest places.

If you look to the bible with an agenda you will find whatever you need to support that agenda. That's when you lose god. Just when you were starting to look.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join