It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Launches A Red October Submarine...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Silent sub: Russian noiseless Borei class nuclear submarine immersed

Super-modern, powerful and almost noiseless Russian nuclear submarine Vladimir Monomakh has been put in water to become the third ship of the Borei project. The cruiser is about to begin sea trials and mooring to become fully operational in 2013.

Vladimir Monomakh was laid down at Russia’s largest shipbuilding complex Sevmash, located on the shores of the White Sea in the town of Severodvinsk in northern Russia on March 19, 2006 – the 100th anniversary of the Russian submarine fleet.

It belongs to a class of missile strategic submarine cruisers with a new generation of nuclear reactor, which allows the submarine to dive to a depth of 480 meters. It can spend up to three months in autonomous navigation and, thanks to the latest achievements in the reduction of noise, it is almost silent compared to previous generations of submarines.

The submarine is armed with the new missile system, which has from 16 to 20 solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missiles Bulava (SS-NX-30 by NATO classification). The rocket is able to overcome any prospective missile defense system.

rt.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Heya Op... I was just profiling this very Submarine on a thread recently. If it might add to things for yours, here is the summary chart for stats on the Borey Class subs they are putting to Sea with the Bulava Ballsitic Missiles. Those suckers are scary.

The missiles ..if they can work a few kinks out... are MIRV Warheads with independent targeting ability, which is nothing new, but these have a twist. They also have independent maneuvering ability at extremely high speed. The U.S. has tracked them firing these in test shots onto the range in far Eastern Russia and at least one shot into the Pacific for long range testing. They're specifically and 100% designed for the evasion and defeat of current U.S. Anti-Missile defense systems. It makes for quite a boat to be running 24/7 365/day blue water patrols as Putin has vowed they would be by the end of this year.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

One big problem. Since they only have one and it can only stay out for three months at a time Putin is dreaming.

Never-mind that we have not one but three Sea Wolves to follow it around and kill it as its missile doors open. If not the Virgina class boats are!

How many Russian subs are sitting in harbors rotting away with their reactors in dangerous conditions? A lot, even the floating hotel Typhoon class boats are. Russia needs to clean up its ticking time bombs before building new ones. Typical Soviet thinking. Bigger is better, till they get this out of their heads they will always produce junk that never works like it should or last.

Russia would be smart to park this thing off of China since they will be the real threat to Russia and America. Russia shares a border with them and has all the oil and gas China needs. Russia by itself can not match the U.S. Navy, no way no how. Since Russia has been involved in so many NATO Naval exercises I doubt they even consider the U.S. a threat and this is and will be for internal and Chinese consumption.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This is a huge leap for the Russian military. I'm willing to bet it's probably somewhere between the 688(I) and the Ohio in terms of quietness, which is a jump for them. These may give our subs fits until they figure out their Achilles heel on sonar.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
This is a huge leap for the Russian military. I'm willing to bet it's probably somewhere between the 688(I) and the Ohio in terms of quietness, which is a jump for them. These may give our subs fits until they figure out their Achilles heel on sonar.

Yeah if they are smart they will try to keep it out of sight (so to speak) for as long as they can.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

Well, the thing is here... Russians aren't stupid. I give them all the credit they need or want for that. I'll bet some NASA types got a good laugh out of MIR too...until it worked ..and worked..and worked...and worked. Russians seem to stick to simple and absolutely live by the KISS principle.

They're not being stupid comes in with knowing their own limitations and weaknesses. The Chinese with Sun Tzu literally wrote the book but Russians sure read well. They also have survived total, bitter and absolute defeat ....with piles of humiliation thrown on top just for spite.

I'm talking about the end of the Cold War of course and by about 1992 I was thinking myself that it wasn't so much something to celebrate anymore ...the defeat and destruction of the Soviet...but something to back off and stop gloating about. I always felt that if Russia ever rebuilt their power and had the opportunity to return that favor, we were in deeeeeep trouble.

NOT because we won the cold war but because we were the worst winners I could have imagined. We turned their national disgrace into a national humiliation and Putin WAS KGB then. He was among those made a total fool of. Perhaps, as he sees it, more than most, given his position and agency.

We sell him short at our peril and if it comes to it, he'll never attack us in our strengths...however it may appear in advance.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

From what I've heard they've done a pretty good job of it so far. They've only been sailing it in areas they can monitor heavily, and are hard for our subs to get into. And the ASW patrols when she has sailed have been insane from my understanding.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
480 meters deep, isn't that pretty shallow for a submarine?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
give it time, it will be found right next to the first Red October, not that it matters, all the crew will have beach front property in Florida

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The Russian submarine that was hidding in the gulf a few yrs ago
was it a Borei type submarine ?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

That was an Akula.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
hmmm - no one skeptical of unevidenced russian claims of thier subs capabilities ?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I believe this sub will be the quietest commissioned by them. However, it is still noisy enough to be tracked. I think a 688 (II) would be adequate in under hulling the sub. Also, it's quite posible that we have the tech and more importantly the strategies to stalk this sub all we want. American submariners aren't just sitting on the most advanced hardware around. They are also extremely clever warriors/ hunters that happen to also be sitting on the biggest pair of balls in the sea. All SEALs and carrier pilots exempt.
edit on 31-12-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

They usually back up what they front to be honest, who knows really everyone swings a bigger dick than what they got thats why they don't advertise very often unless they got it, Ruskies love a game of chess

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
WHAT??!! No one has mentioned this is a great thing for us since the "new" cold war is manufactured and we are embracing in bed .. snuggling and spooning.. with mother Russia .. good buddies.. since we both have a common pain the the buttocks.. China.

Hang on, lemme adjust the tinfoil...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
NOT because we won the cold war but because we were the worst winners I could have imagined. We turned their national disgrace into a national humiliation and Putin WAS KGB then. He was among those made a total fool of. Perhaps, as he sees it, more than most, given his position and agency.

We sell him short at our peril and if it comes to it, he'll never attack us in our strengths...however it may appear in advance.

I think it's reasonable to blame Putin for Putinism, not the USA.

What exactly is the "worst winner somebody could have imagined?" I can think of much, much worse winners. In eras past, the winner would demand payment of tribute---let's say a million barrels per day of free oil---and slaves, and de-arm the loser, and appoint a proconsul to control the local government.

The USA advocated democracy and free markets. Some hustlers, Western and Russian tried to make a ruble or billion. Note: everybody who got really rich sleazily after the Cold War was Russian.

The consequences of Bolshevism, VI Lenin, Joe Stalin, Brezhnev, and Yeltsin's liver humiliated Russia.
edit on 8-1-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
But they do not have an Astute Class submarine. That is all.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is probably aimed more at the Chinese than the U.S. they do share a border afterall.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

I assume you lived through the fall of the Soviet Union as well by your reply. What I'm talking about was the way Bush (the Senior model) went about everything from offering the Soviets aid in very public ways, as if they were a 3rd world nation or little boy Oliver asking for more to how the U.S. all but dictated terms on the arms agreements and their internal matters of nuclear material, waste facilities of ALL kinds and non nuclear military matters both internal to the Soviet Union/Russia and abroad.

It didn't last all that long because Clinton came along and he had some class to at least show respect and not gloat. Daddy Bush though? He gloated ...and I said above how I felt. It was embarrassing and short sighted to think the world could never turn and see that flip on us ...however impossible it did look back then, IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Any truth the tales of Russian subs have torpedoes that travel 250 plus mph?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join