It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tsunami bomb': NZ archives reveal strange weapon, UFOs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

news.ninemsn.com.au

Alongside notable historical documents, such as a letter written by Captain James Cook before his final voyage, are curiosities like "Project Seal", a top-secret US-New Zealand attempt to create a doomsday device to rival the nuclear bomb.

The project was launched in June 1944 after a US naval officer noticed that blasting operations to clear coral reefs around Pacific islands sometimes produced a large wave, raising the possibility of creating a "tsunami bomb".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Explosive tests carried out in waters north of Auckland led scientists to conclude that the weapon was feasible and a series of 10 massive blasts offshore could create a 10-metre tsunami capable of inundating a small coastal city.

Further documents were uncovered along with those of the Tsunami Bomb:

Among the other oddities in the archives are Defence Department records of hundreds of UFO sightings by members of the public, military personnel and commercial pilots, mostly involving moving lights in the sky.

Some of the accounts include drawings of flying saucers, descriptions of aliens wearing "pharaoh masks" and alleged examples of extra-terrestrial writing.

This news article got my attention mainly due to the title (which seems to change between the link and the article headline...). The last i heard about a Tsunami bomb was when a Russian guy was threatening to destroy other countries with one...but i never knew that New Zealand and the USA were working on a joint project...pretty cool!

news.ninemsn.com.au

Further information from Wikipedia:

British and US defence chiefs were eager to see it developed, and it was considered potentially as important as the atomic bomb. It was expected to cause massive damage to coastal cities, and could have even been used with a nuclear charge. The weapon was only tested using small explosions and never on a full scale. After 4000 test explosions over a seven-month period, none of which generated an appreciable tsunami, the project was closed down when it was determined that there were errors in the theoretical basis of the plan.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-12-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

This news article got my attention mainly due to the title (which seems to change between the link and the article headline...). The last i heard about a Tsunami bomb was when a Russian guy was threatening to destroy other countries with one...but i never knew that New Zealand and the USA were working on a joint project...pretty cool!

Great info about the ufo inscriptions e.d.

About the Bomb, I think you could be mistaken with the Tsar bomb as for the Russian bomb that is.
edit on 30-12-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There is something inherently evil in using pure natural process as a super-weapon, in my opinion. I do seem to recall plans for the Ross Ice Shelf, the Lava Ridge off the Hawaiian Islands and of course..the big whammy.. La Palma Island to do this. Evil... Just friggen evil. Good catch tho!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant
Great info about the ufo inscriptions e.d.

About the Bomb, I think you could be mistaken with the Tsar bomb as for the Russian bomb that is.
edit on 30-12-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

Hey mate, thanks for the reply.

I found the video i was talking about.

edit on 30-12-2012 by daaskapital because: quote

edit on 30-12-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is old hat - only they use small nukes.

Imagine a radioactive wave of water 50 meters high roaring across NYC. You get the biggest "bang for your buck" by deploying nukes in or underwater near harbor or river mouths, or in ports. If you only had one nuke and wanted to optimize the damage, cracking it off just offshore of a big city is a great bet.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

news.ninemsn.com.au

Alongside notable historical documents, such as a letter written by Captain James Cook before his final voyage, are curiosities like "Project Seal", a top-secret US-New Zealand attempt to create a doomsday device to rival the nuclear bomb.

The project was launched in June 1944 after a US naval officer noticed that blasting operations to clear coral reefs around Pacific islands sometimes produced a large wave, raising the possibility of creating a "tsunami bomb".

A great book that describes a very similar scenario is "Icefire" by the husband/wife team Reese Stevens. It is still available at Amazon.

The story line is that the collapse of the Ross ice shelf causes a soliton wave that will travel the entire length of the ocean all the way to the west coast of America and Canada. But it is not a natural disaster as the heroes soon find out. It was caused by a series of nuclear explosions in holes bored into the ice to split it from the rest of the ice sheet and then followed by a massive air burst to whop the ice shelf down and create the soliton wave from the water under the shelf. From that beginning the story becomes a fast and furious high tech thriller as the heroes try to find a way to stop the wave and save the American west coast.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

You mean Vladimir Zhirinovsky?

In 2008, during the resulting political row between the United Kingdom and Russia, he suggested dropping nuclear bombs over the Atlantic Ocean in an effort to flood Britain.

Source

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Off topic but... They destroyed reefs to test bombs? That's ****ed up.

But on a serious note we will probably see something like this used. I have a feeling someone will set off a bomb in the pacific to show military might but it will set off earthquakes, volcanos, and tsunimis.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The last i heard about a Tsunami bomb was when a Russian guy was threatening to destroy other countries with one...but i never knew that New Zealand and the USA were working on a joint project...pretty cool!

I thought you felt America was culpable of "War crimes" ?

And you find this.........

...pretty cool!

Hmmmm............

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

The last i heard about a Tsunami bomb was when a Russian guy was threatening to destroy other countries with one...but i never knew that New Zealand and the USA were working on a joint project...pretty cool!

I thought you felt America was culpable of "War crimes" ?

And you find this.........

...pretty cool!

Hmmmm............

What?

I said i thought it was "pretty cool" that the USA and New Zealand were collaborating on a weapon. As far as we all know, a Tsunami bomb was never used to kill hundreds of thousand of people

Regardless, your post is off topic, and i will not reply further unless you have something constructive to say in regards to the topic at hand.
edit on 30-12-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

You mean Vladimir Zhirinovsky?

In 2008, during the resulting political row between the United Kingdom and Russia, he suggested dropping nuclear bombs over the Atlantic Ocean in an effort to flood Britain.

Source

Yes, i'm pretty sure that's him! Thanks mate!

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Just asking why you thought it was "cool" that both Countries were working on a Weapon that could possibly kill MANY people........

As for the Tsunami Bomb, a simple search would have provided you ample threads to talk about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It had the potential to, yes. But it didn't.

Most of the threads you linked to were focused on various topics, not Project Seal exclusively. Also, those threads are somewhat old, and a lot of people here today, may not have heard of this before.

Now i ask you to please stop derailing this thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Seeing as the fukishima earthquake HAD NO P WAVE, this is beginning to sound very REAL..
Somebody tell me that there was not an Israeli ship achored over the place where the Tsunami origonated mere days before the :earthquake"

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The IODP have been studying the fault underneath Fukushima for some time now. Theoretically possible if we understand distribution of stress along that fault for a submarine to inject water into one of the many holes drilled that would cause the fault to move. It all happened at a time when the US had a massive surplus of natural gas, from development of the fracking industry.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Fukushima was an earthquake, not explosion, but the causes of the earthquake are debatable. Faults can be activated by many different things... And it is theoretically possibel for us to trigger them, would need a subsea drilling tool and a injection pump on the seafloor. Possible that the navy could do it. We know there was an earthquake rather than bomb because seismic stations were able to locate a focal plane mechanism.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Giving you ATS links, is not derailing this thread.

Neither is asking you why its "cool" to have a weapon like this.

The ATS links provide more in depth information concerning Project Seal, then this thread provided.

My quest to Deny Ignorance, sometimes has me question the motives of what is being provided, and why.

Sorry if you believe I was derailing the thread with questions and ATS links on the subject.......

edit on 30-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thanks Dass, for searching this interesting article out. I honestly never heard of it until now. Makes you wonder how many of these Secret Missions/Experiments have yet to be revealed.

Tsumami Bomb infomation

It was tested in Whangaparaoa off the coast of Auckland between 1944 and 1945, in experiments conducted by Professor Thomas Leech. British and US defence chiefs were eager to see it developed, and it was considered potentially as important as the atomic bomb. It was expected to cause massive damage to coastal cities, and could have even been used with a nuclear charge

Additionally the information on this Secret program, although commencing in 1944-1945, were not disclosed or unclassified for public consumption until 1999...um, roughly 55 years!
Makes you wonder what else and how much other 'classified' material remains sealed.

The top secret documents on Project Seal were only declassified in 1999

It also appears that New Zealand military, U.S. and UK defence chiefs were all highly involved in the potential war application. Hmm, a nice distraction, create what would otherwise look like a natural disaster to distroy an enemies coast.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

i got to sleep now but this is interesting so i am going to check it out in the am

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join