It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you want to ban guns then I propose we ban automobiles.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Here me out.

If we need someone to bring a gun we can call the police.
If we need a ride somewhere we can call a cab.
So In that retrospect we can ban cars because they are unnecessary and dangerous in the hands of the ignorant.
So what we will do is ban cars and put cabbies on the payroll the same we do for cops and now nobody has to worry about a teen driving their jeep through their living room because the the driver was stupid.

Now here is the catch. What happens when I cut my arm and need to go to the hospital and I have 5 minutes to live. If I had a car I could drive to the hospital and be saved but instead I will call a cabbie/ambulance and it will take to long and I will die. Same goes for Guns. If someone breaks in I have to call the cops and give the robbers xx minutes before the gun shows up and I was killed.

Some may say well it would be rare that I cut my arm and need the car but let's say I work on a farm where my arm is in constant danger. Because your views or need of a car does not agree with mine I must now suffer at the hands of someone with no direct knowledge on why I may or may not need a car.

So if guns are banned I'm going after autos.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
How are you gonna ban semi trucks?

They are the life blood of distribution for everything in America.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Truck drivers would be like cabbies professional drivers. Just like we have professional gun carriers... The police.

Or or.... The truckers are the military.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

You might want to ban pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, hospitals and doctors since collectively they are the leading cause of the highest number of deaths.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Let's start with drones.

2nd

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Do we really need another one of these threads?

Weve had them for DRs, Knives, bats, Hell I think we even had one for water coz people drown

Not only is it getting old but this type of argument is the weakest in the gun nuts arsenal (pun intended)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
We should ban doctors too.

You are more than 6000 times more likely to die from one of those than a gun.

edit: darn it, the poster above me just called me on that.
edit on 30-12-2012 by fourthmeal because: edit: darn it

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Missed the point.

My angle was to show people how silly it is to try to ban one thing without bringing into consideration other things that kill MORE than guns and can be EQUALLY banned.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by dominicus

Truck drivers would be like cabbies professional drivers. Just like we have professional gun carriers... The police.

Or or.... The truckers are the military.

You really really don't want to hear some of the stories I could tell about 'Professional Drivers' and just how mutually exclusive those two words can be in some cases.

If I get the OP though, banning just about anything is pretty much silly. If people can't safely function in society as members of it, perhaps we need to revisit the Mental Health System as it stood before 1981 and Reagan's destruction of it. Asylums might have been a decent idea in some cases after all.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

No people were saying to ban things that can't be banned... Like water.

Cars however are dangerous, cause millions of deaths and can be effectively banned for the benifit of the public.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Cars don't kill people, people do.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Missed the point.

My angle was to show people how silly it is to try to ban one thing without bringing into consideration other things that kill MORE than guns and can be EQUALLY banned.

I got the point LOL, banning anything is equally frivilous at this point as there are so many other causes of death that far outweigh guns. In fact, the leading causes of death by accident, intention or misadventure if banned would literally cripple society.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yup that's why two planes will almost never collide and cars smash into each other everyday, when there is the technology to prevent almost every accident. Seems weird huh considering cars were invented before airplanes.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Adding to my post above...

Guns are designed to kill and that is their main purpose.

Cars are designed for transport, any killing is a side effect of their use.

Get real! People drive vehicles for years and considering the skill involved to steer tons of metal, plastic, rubber etc to minute degrees of precision day after day after day, often without consequenses other than reaching a desired location, I think we are doing amazingly well at "vehicle control".

Bad comparison O.P. and incredibly lame.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I'm with you! While we're at it they should ban swimming pools because more children drown each year than those that are shoot. Govt needs to put a committee together, expand it out and ban hot tubs, and even bath tubs. This would minimize the chance of psycho Moms drowing their own kids in their home tubs. Require anyone who has any container that will hold more than a 1/2 inch of water in a 1ft square container to register with local law inforcement and require finger prints, background chech and a psych evaluation.lol

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Are cars ANY LESS DANGEROUS don't compare purpose compare death rates. If you could ban cars and save a million lives or guns and save 500 would you still chose guns if all you really cared about was LIVES and not the fact you would complain on a bus or in a cab.

Think that over man.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

So if guns are banned I'm going after autos.

Well if autos are banned I'm going after industrialized society.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Explain how a factory will crash through my front room and I'll get behind you on it. We are talking about LIVES and nothing more. If something is killing a million people a year take it from us even if I have one. If something is killing 1,000 a year address the thing killing millions or you **** off taking the lesser evil first.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
automobiles arent manufactured for the sole purpose of shooting metal at people/things
your argument is invalid
not a gun grabber..just sayin you need to come up with something better

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Why are people missing the point that even though cars kill 10x the people guns do No one wants them banned. But a gun kills a fraction of the people and it's the first thing people are after. If someone said enough is enough cars kill to many people we are banning them I would be all for it because it's the lives that matter and not the material thing. But people will chase guns beause of the few they kill but never address larger issues concerning causes of deaths. It's like people will ignore a million auto accidents but if one person is killed by a gun all hell breaks loose. Are we really about saving lives or finding things and people to blame?

If people really really cared about lives guns wouldnt even be top 10 on things we immediately need to address
edit on 30-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join