It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you want to ban guns then I propose we ban automobiles.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
In fact, the homicide rate and total numbers is on a downward trend here in the United States, from 1980 to 2008 (2008 is the latest numbers listed here).

The 2012 Statistical Abstract: 312 - Homicide Trends

These are graphs I created from the numbers in the U.S.Census data above.

The homicide rate is actually trending down, even though the MSM is spreading fear over these incidents. Your chances of being one of these victims is lower today than it was even 10 years ago. Odd they don't use these stats in their reporting....hmmmm

edit on 30-12-2012 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2012 by Krakatoa because: Added a visual aid...graphs from the raw data in the link

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Just goes to show the public doesn't really care about lives and more about causing stirs.

And the thing is my request for a ban on cars will ALWAYS hold more weight becaus of sheer numbers of deaths.

edit on 30-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Thanks. Also, I just added a few graphs from the data link I posted from the U.S. Census. To visualize the trends, and spread truthful data as opposed to FUD and opinion.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
Here me out.

If we need someone to bring a gun we can call the police.
If we need a ride somewhere we can call a cab.
So In that retrospect we can ban cars because they are unnecessary and dangerous in the hands of the ignorant.
So what we will do is ban cars and put cabbies on the payroll the same we do for cops and now nobody has to worry about a teen driving their jeep through their living room because the the driver was stupid.

Now here is the catch. What happens when I cut my arm and need to go to the hospital and I have 5 minutes to live. If I had a car I could drive to the hospital and be saved but instead I will call a cabbie/ambulance and it will take to long and I will die. Same goes for Guns. If someone breaks in I have to call the cops and give the robbers xx minutes before the gun shows up and I was killed.

Some may say well it would be rare that I cut my arm and need the car but let's say I work on a farm where my arm is in constant danger. Because your views or need of a car does not agree with mine I must now suffer at the hands of someone with no direct knowledge on why I may or may not need a car.

So if guns are banned I'm going after autos.

Actually I agree with your original post that guns and cars are unnecessary and dangerous.

if you cut your arm badly enough that you would die before an ambulance got to you, how would you drive to hospital?

if you cut your arm and drove to hospital that would be unnecessary, and dangerous for the rest of us

much safer to call an ambulance

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I propose that we ban guns AND automobiles. That way, the criminals can't get a gun to shoot up a mall or a school... but if they DID happen to get an ILLEGAL gun, they'd have no way to get there.

We'd be DOUBLY SAFE.

I am a jenius.

edit on 30-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I seen them. Thanks for adding them.
It boggles my mind the logic of some people. And to be honest could you imagine all of the extra resources this country would have if it banned autos and implemented an effective transportation system. We would be out of debt in no time. Autos in the USA sap so many resources.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I propose that we ban guns AND automobiles. That way, the criminals can't get a gun to shoot up a mall or a school... but if they DID happen to get an ILLEGAL gun, they'd have no way to get there.

We'd be DOUBLY SAFE.

I am a jenius.

edit on 30-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

horses were much better

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Maybe speed limit cars or develop some kind of device that halts the car when it is too close to another vehicle.
Point of fact Guns were made as a weapon.
The Governments of the world have agendas, why else would you have public vehicles capable of doing 200+ kmh and no roads to drive them on, and yet they are setting up speed cameras everywhere so as to catch you speeding and therefore a fine will ensue.That is revenue raising, they really dont care about the lives that are lost, just the money from the cameras.
The fact that you are so upset about the possibility of losing your gun and bringing ridiculous comparisons in to the equation proves to me that the paranoia they want to create in the public is working.
Divide and conquer, take away your livelihood by devaluing your dollar and causing businesses to close
Lose your job and source of income, issue pay rises to Government employees, all this is breeding more unrest..
Stage mass shootings with very suspect information surrounding them, blame guns and take the guns away.
Cause unlimited amounts of paranoia,
All part of the masterplan, Civil war part 2 here you come. Depopulation is imminent.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
To see even more actual data from the U.S. Census (good or bad), here is a link.

The 2012 Statistical Abstract: Law Enforcement, Courts, & Prisons: Crimes and Crime Rates

Summary of some of this data relevant to this conversation:

Handguns went from 6,778 (1980) to 6,503 (2009) --> DOWN
Rifles went from 411 (1980) to 352 (2009) --> DOWN
Shotguns went from 485 (1980) to 424 (2009) --> DOWN
Knives or cutting instruments went from 1,782 (1980) to 1,836 (2009) --> UP

If anyone has the numbers from Automotive fatalities for this time period, we could contrast and compare with actual data and not supposition and opinion. Any takers????

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 110240

Devils in the details. No one is 100% safe at any time so sure me driving i could pass out or what not but lets say for the sake of the story I survive and arrive at the hospital without an auto accident. I cut my left arm its an arterial would I put on a tourniquet but lost enough blood to know that abulancr would take to long to come to my farm and take me to the hospital.

People get hurt and drive to the hospital all the time some die getting out of the car at the hospital.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87

I seen them. Thanks for adding them.
It boggles my mind the logic of some people. And to be honest could you imagine all of the extra resources this country would have if it banned autos and implemented an effective transportation system. We would be out of debt in no time. Autos in the USA sap so many resources.

Not to mention lowering our total carbon footprint across the board! That would make the tree huggers all warm and fuzzy I'd assume.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Because of automobile deaths millions have been spent and massive changes have been made to automobiles over the years to make them safer and less likely to kill. With the OPs logic we should then be doing the same to make guns less likely to kill. This is silly. Clearly I am a gun guy and do not but into a total gun ban. Do we really need access to all types of guns? This is the real question. How many dead kids are worth me having any type a gun I want because its fun? Not sure I have an answer but, unlike most people I am willing to have the discussion.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Not paranoid. To be paranoid means you are worried about something happening and I'm not worried why would I need to be paranoid. A ban Wont magically make guns and ammo disappear and I probably won't be alive to see a successful disarming of the American people so I have nothing to be paranoid about. My point is how ridiculous you guys sound bashing guns when the very thing you use everyday kills thousands a day and guns hundreds if that. Like I said is it about the guns or is it about the lives?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Because of automobile deaths millions have been spent and massive changes have been made to automobiles over the years to make them safer and less likely to kill. With the OPs logic we should then be doing the same to make guns less likely to kill. This is silly. Clearly I am a gun guy and do not but into a total gun ban. Do we really need access to all types of guns? This is the real question. How many dead kids are worth me having any type a gun I want because its fun? Not sure I have an answer but, unlike most people I am willing to have the discussion.

Silly, perhaps not?

Possible discussion points:
- Guns could be made safer if they were "keyed" to function by the registered owner only. Transfer ownership would require you also re-key the gun to the new owner. Only one user per gun, is that limiting its use, yes. But then, so are seat belts IMO (I was OK with lap belts, but HATE shoulder belts due to a choking phobia I have).

- Perhaps the "key" is an actual key that allows the gun to operate (like a car key)? You could keep the key with you or lock it in a separate location. This way, if the gun is stolen, it is not as easy to use, without breaking even more laws or having the lock-picking skills to overcome the disarming mechanism.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head to evolve the gun design to limit the negative uses, yet allow proper gun ownership by law-abiding citizens.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Answer this honestly how many dead kids are worth your car. If they have spent millions on cars to make them safer explain why this 2011 can go 160mph and won't prevent me from rear ending a school bus?

If there was a way to get rid of guns completely in the world I would crucify myself to do it. But there is not. If it was not for guns America wouldnt be what it is and if it was important enough to be soecifically addressed in our founding documents I will have to say there was a good reason.

Here is another hugely valid point. UK is an ISLAND country. They have no international borders and are nestled in a safe part of the world. While the USA has a damn cartel ran mob country as a border to the south. Given the current condition of the Mexico and how unstable they are I would have to believe that Americans should possesse the firepower to Atleast be able to fend them off. They have full auto AK and rocket launchers.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Good ideas too. Incorporeal a finger print scanner in the grip.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think the OP is on to something here. I agree with him, let's treat guns as we do cars.

In order to get a gun you need a license, insurance, a registered serial number with the state (a gun license plate), and you can get it taken away from you if you use it while intoxicated. You gun would have to be inspected by the state to make sure that is is safe to fire and if you don't renew your license you can't use it.

Great idea OP!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by curme

Ok now fund all that without charging the gun owner. I think car reg tax and stuff is illegal taxation but what can I do. If you really want a civil war tell someone the only way they can have a gun is if they pay taxes on it.
edit on 30-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by curme

All valid points, I still believe we give Governments of the world too much credit if we think they are interested in our welfare. They're not . All their interested in is their own welfare and the bottom line. Are we not sheeple? We are human.
The majority of us are too consumed with the toys they amuse us with. Even those toys with the propensity to kill such as guns and cars. Make no mistake there is far more going on then we are led to believe.
Only time will tell. I was against gun ownership, now I am not so sure.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Yeah I think we are being lured into the trap one piece of candy at a time. But as long as your focus is on the next piece you never look up to see the trap. Yeah that's how those things work in real life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join