It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Modern Approach To Rights: Why You're Helping Destroy Freedom

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Rights such as gun ownership are granted by the society in which you reside in. If the society decides that they rather not have firearms in the hands of private individuals they are free to remove those rights.

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Rights are not granted by society. Rights are inherent in existance. You and society can no more tell me what my rights are than you can tell a new born baby what hair color they are allowed to be born with. You may be able to OPPRESS those rights as a society but you do not dictate WHAT those rights are.

The bill of rights is simply an enumeration of what our NATURAL rights are in an effort to limit govt.s continuous attempts to suppress our rights

Jaden
edit on 1-1-2013 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2013 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i dont see how rights can be inalienable if the government or some other entity is able to take them away. your right to self defense is null and void if you are strapped to a bed and thus you are unable to protect your self. the right to life is gone if your killed. the right to free speech is gone if measures are taken to make you unable to communicate to other people. they are therefor not inalienable. i like and enjoy theses constitutional laws. but i know they can be easily taken away by any one. and that is why, if you want them, you should fight for them. if they were truly inalienable then there would be no reason to fight for them since they couldn't be taken away.

i have a very realist way of thinking. might makes right. if you dont have the might, find a way to get it.

i think this is just one of those philosophical ideas that can never really be determined. most people have a valid opinion but none of be proven right unless they actually created the world in which we live.

Originally posted by Masterjaden
That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Rights are not granted by society. Rights are inherent in existance. You and society can no more tell me what my rights are than you can tell a new born baby what hair color they are allowed to be born with. You may be able to OPPRESS those rights as a society but you do not dictate WHAT those rights are.

if you go off the idea of natural rights, then there can never be a right to own guns, or the prevention of illegal search and seizure for that matter.. my reasoning is that owning a gun is not natural. guns do not grow on trees. therefor, you can never claim that there is a natural right to own a gun since guns are not natural. on the other hand owning a WEAPON or having the ability to defend yourself could be argued as natural. my reasoning is, as the OP mentions, the fact that we have claws/nails, teeth and a tree branch can be used to bludgeon someone.
edit on 1-1-2013 by david99118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by david99118
i dont see how rights can be inalienable if the government or some other entity is able to take them away. your right to self defense is null and void if you are strapped to a bed and thus you are unable to protect your self. the right to life is gone if your killed. the right to free speech is gone if measures are taken to make you unable to communicate to other people. they are therefor not inalienable. i like and enjoy theses constitutional laws. but i know they can be easily taken away by any one. and that is why, if you want them, you should fight for them. if they were truly inalienable then there would be no reason to fight for them since they couldn't be taken away.

i have a very realist way of thinking. might makes right. if you dont have the might, find a way to get it.

i think this is just one of those philosophical ideas that can never really be determined. most people have a valid opinion but none of be proven right unless they actually created the world in which we live.

Originally posted by Masterjaden

if you go off the idea of natural rights, then there can never be a right to own guns, or the prevention of illegal search and seizure for that matter.. my reasoning is that owning a gun is not natural. guns do not grow on trees. therefor, you can never claim that there is a natural right to own a gun since guns are not natural. on the other hand owning a WEAPON or having the ability to defend yourself could be argued as natural. my reasoning is, as the OP mentions, the fact that we have claws/nails, teeth and a tree branch can be used to bludgeon someone.
edit on 1-1-2013 by david99118 because: (no reason given)

They ARE inalienable, they CANNOT be taken away, what you are referring to are when rights are suppressed.

Rights CAN be and ARE suppressed, that does not mean they cease to exist...

Jaden

Illegal search and seizure is not a right. You have a right to work for and own property. The govt. does not have the authority to illegally seize and search your property. Not having the authority to do something has not stopped them, which is why the 2nd amendment exists.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

you are free to believe what ever you want. as i stated, this is a subject where every one they are right but no one cant actually be proven right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join