It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca Cola Calamity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'm sure by now most of us have seen the secret formula for Coca Cola, and I believe It's mostly right but maybe there may have been a few small changes occur. Overall though I believe this to be the correct formula:

The secret recipe

* Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP

* Citric acid 3 oz

* Caffeine 1oz

* Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)

* Water 2.5 gal

* Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt

* Vanilla 1oz

* Caramel 1.5oz or more to colour (contains 4-methylimidazole)

7X flavour (use 2oz of flavour to 5 gals syrup):

* Alcohol 8oz

* Orange oil 20 drops

* Lemon oil 30 drops

* Nutmeg oil 10 drops

* Coriander 5 drops

* Neroli 10 drops

* Cinnamon 10 drops

newsfeed.time.com...

Now the caramel contains 4-Methylimidazole, which recently caused controversy in the US as the particular chemical was found to be a possible carcinogen, as well as already known beforehand as a convulsant. I believe though that the amount of Coke consumption needed to actually cause concern would be about 50000 cans a day.

Still, it was deemed concerning enough that if the levels of 4-Methylimidazole weren't reduced, that the US would need a carcinogenic label on the cans. The company complied and devised a new technique to reduce the amount of the suspect substance, although in Europe the regulations are different and the original formula will continue in circulation.

MSDS for 4-Methylimidazole - www.chemdb-portal.cn...

I also want to talk about the teratogenic effects of caffine. Now although there is little evidence of a teratogenic effect from caffine on Humans, the risk is potentiated with alcohol consumption.

The increased risk of the most common congenital malformations entailed by moderate consumption of caffeine is very slight. However, caffeine potentiates the teratogenic effect of other substances, such as tobacco, alcohol, and acts synergistically with ergotamine and propranolol to induce materno-fetal vasoconstrictions leading to malformations induced by ischemia. Therefore, even though caffeine does not seem to be harmful to the human fetus when intake is moderate and spread out over the day, some associations, especially with alcohol, tobacco, and vasoconstrictive or anti-migraine medications should be avoided.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Now you may think of teratology as physical abnormalities, but teratology can also include delayed mental development, without any structural malformations.

You might have seen in the ingredients, Alcohol. This is true.

In this case, Ethanol is used as the solvent to add the natural oils as they aren't miscible with the water.

If we look at the MSDS for Coca Cola we see this indeed true, approximately 0.1% alcohol is present in your Coke.

MSDS for Coca Cola - www.sfm.state.or.us...

Although the content of some of the suspect substances are rather minute, the amount of Coca Cola that some people drink could be cause for concern. With the combination of these ingredients being consumed in large quantities by some people, I believe the rise in related ailments to which I have discussed are possibly due in part, to this beverage.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thank goodness when I occasionally have a soda I choose Pepsi!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

What... you didn't know Coca Cola was run by Satan himself?

Like the fact that they own the likeness of Santa Claus isn't a dead give away?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Try changing to Ginger Ale it is good and way better for you.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well written, I am a former soda drinker of more than 30 years until I "woke up."
Many health issues I experienced vanished with no return after quitting Coca-cola, potato chips, & fast foods. I feel better at almost 40 than I did at 20 when I ate that stuff daily.

* Water 2.5 gal

How many think they use "spring water" in their products?

They turn that faucet on and let the chemical waste H2O run wild! Even if you avoid drinking tap water & hold your breath in a steamy shower, they still get the sodium fluoride in you through sodas, juices, beers, etc.

Mmmmmm.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I gave up drinking coke about 2 years ago and dont miss it one bit..Now I drink sparkling water and it gives me the same fizzy refreshing feeling as coke initially does whn you drink it.Now I can go without the bags of sugar they put in to with along with god knows what else/ I would never drink any diet drinks because of aspartame, even lucosade has a warning on the bottle that it shouldnt be drank by under 3 year olds as it can effect the brain and concentration levels/

Its all about habit, Now i guzzle sparkling water and wouldnt bother with cola/.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thank god i'm Scottish and have my Irn Bru.

Never been a big cola drinker, but used to drink it as a kid because my doctor said if you have been sick it is the best drink for lining your stomach to help you keep food down.
Anyone know if there is anything true about what i was told ?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
Thank god i'm Scottish and have my Irn Bru.

Never been a big cola drinker, but used to drink it as a kid because my doctor said if you have been sick it is the best drink for lining your stomach to help you keep food down.
Anyone know if there is anything true about what i was told ?

That's interesting because my son's been insulin dependent since he was 2yrs old and the diabetes consultant told me to give him regular coca cola (not diet) when he was sick for the same reason you give.

Woody

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

When I was a young child of about 5, I got a terribly debilitating flu that nearly killed me. I was so weak I could not sit up and was unable to hold anything down and was becoming weaker and weaker. My grandfather came to help, and he stirred the bubbles out of coca cola to make it flat, and I was able to hold that down and get some fluids in me. My mother went to the local drug store and bought a bottle of coca cola syrup and continued to give it to me in water for a few more days. I was able to recover finally, and they believed it was the coca cola syrup that made the difference. Dunno how relevent it really is in real life now that I am older and understand what it is, but they believed it and I got through it one way or another.

lol lucky I lived through growing up with my parents in more ways than one but hey it is all a learning experience. My Dad didn't believe in going to the hospital or doctors unless you had a traumatic injury. He is now 73 yrs old and has had diabetes that he doesn't treat or medicate at all, and he had a quadruple bi-pass twenty yrs ago that he would not have gotten if not for the intervention of some friends of his when he went down. He doesn't go to any doctors and has not been back since they took the staples out of him

The wife said he looks better than anyone back home and had not aged in 20 yrs. Maybe there is something to that not taking their poisonous medications stuff lol

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Angrybadger

I think you may be confusing sugar with high fructose corn syrup.
The world was a fairly healthy place up until about 35 years ago when the US introduced HFCS.
Since then, diabetes and a whole myriad of health problems have been around.
Especially that "obesity epidemic", which is a MAJOR contributer to all health problems.
Sugar comes naturally from nature, HFCS comes from the devils lab.
If you pay attention to alot of packaging nowadays, the label proudly displays "No high fructose corn syrup".
HFCS should not be confused with good ole corn syrup by the way, they are completely different animals.

reply to post by woodwytch

All "soda pops" were originally health elixers, Dr Pepper and Coca Cola included.
Just over the years and because of health regulations, the active ingredients have been removed.
Some still give some benefits.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

Star to you as I too remember those little 1 or 2 once bottles of Coke syrup from the drug stores.
My Dad swore by some weird remedies, coke was one of them.
He too is an old out of control diabetic, who is still kicking!
He quit Coca Cola cold turkey just after they changed the recipe, nowadays he only drinks pepsi throwback, and before that only the "Mexican Pepsi", made with real sugar.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, the real calamity came in 1929 when they took the coc aine out of Coca-Cola... enter: The Great Depression.

Well, it is a mighty interesting coincidence, you must agree!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I drink just water, juices sometimes. Water, and lots of it. I used to drink Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, some of the others, and it felt horrible - except I could only tell it was horrible when I got off of them. All you need to know: animals, insects, birds, fish, and plants all drink one thing - water! That one fact is enough to know, simplicity itself.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

I know I used to get 7-up when I was a kid for exactly the same reason. Sick kids drank it warm and relatively flat, all over our neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I only occasionally drink soda. I much prefer coffee. I don't like my coffee real strong either, it can cause upset stomach if it is too strong. I like my choice of poison better.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Drs here said the same thing when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s. You could even buy coke syrup for belly aches.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356917153&sr=8-1&keywords=cola+syrup+for+nausea

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm trying to give up drinking sodas, energy drinks anything of that variety and stick plainly with juice; but since I got the flu I needed a coke to help the medicine go to work faster. That will probably be the last coke I have for a while; or drink of that matter.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

My parents bought the coke syrup by the gallon and split it with their sisters and brothers back in the sixties..

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

My mother and her cousins were pushing it like drug dealers!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
Well, the real calamity came in 1929 when they took the coc aine out of Coca-Cola... enter: The Great Depression.

Well, it is a mighty interesting coincidence, you must agree!!!

They still use part of the plant in the recipe. They still import the plant just like before. If they stopped putting coc aine in the cola then what do they do with all that waste???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join