It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama To Put His "Full Weight" Behind New Gun Legislation...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Obama Says Public Support Crucial for Gun Legislation

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama said Sunday he will put his “full weight behind” a new gun control proposal in the wake of the massacre that left 20 children dead in a school in Newtown, Conn.

I'm still trying to find a link to the full Meet The Press interview.

Be back when I find the full article, but this sounds interesting

Edit: Found a full article:

Full Article

He does talk about background checks and mental health more than any other issue:

"I think there are a vast majority of responsible gun owners out there who recognize that we can't have a situation in which somebody with severe psychological problems is able to get the kind of high capacity weapons that this individual in Newtown obtained and gun down our kids," he added.

Mental health checks sound great at first, no one wants a nut-job with an HK. What gets me worried though is once you start with the mental health issue, who is to say what qualifies as a person they say isn't capable of owning a weapon. Who says it won't come to a point where they look at your web history, see ATS, and deny a permit to buy one...

Oh and then there is this gem:

"The question then becomes whether we are actually shook up enough by what happened here that it does not just become another one of these routine episodes where it gets a lot of attention for a couple of weeks and then it drifts away," Obama said.

I'm not even touching that comment...
edit on 30-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: Adding Full Article

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
hopefully since he doesnt weight that much that means not much will be changed

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If by interesting you mean horrible and akin to Nazi Germany, yeah, interesting.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's sad that the government tries to push through new, ridiculous legislation from a tragedy that shook an entire nation.

Maybe the government should worry about the huge problems with the fiscal cliff and $14 trillion in debt before they do anything else.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Maybe it is time to question his authority. Can his birth certificate and selective service card fraud finally be reviewed by a Grand Jury (not comprised of only local democrats in Washington DC tho)?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What is President Obama's weight?
Answer: According to newspaper reports,weighs 180 pounds.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's a lie. With record gun sales it's obvious that the public doesn't want this but it will be foisted on us anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Its always best to act quickly because it is true that Americans have a short attention span and we will put the whole Newtown thing behind us in quick order like we've always done with situations like these. Better to act now while this is still fresh in everybodies mind.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by johngalt722

That is one of the arguments I always use against gun legislation.

What are they going to do to make up the missing revenue when we are already this far behind budget? Average cost for a gun is around $600 (somewhere between the $200 Jimenez and the $1000 Kimber, lol). Not to mention the $15 background check fee, the $115 CCW permit, and all the taxes on ammo sales.

Can they really afford to lose a few billion dollars in taxes/revenue right now?

If the economy was better, would we even see all this gun crime?

Shouldn't we be fixing the public mentality, economy, and over-all happiness of the general public before we go after the guns?

I mean, would a happy populace be this violent of a populace?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Dont worry no one is coming to your door to collect the guns you already own. We have a much bigger problem than gun control when that happens.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Right. Never let a "crisis" go to waste...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

David Gregory said the interview would be re-run. Check your local listings for it. I thought you should find it on line too. Hubby had this on when I woke up this morning but I only heard the last of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by johngalt722

One issue at a time please.
This one is Gun Control.
Please keep your comments in that context.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Maybe it is time to question his authority. Can his birth certificate and selective service card fraud finally be reviewed by a Grand Jury (not comprised of only local democrats in Washington DC tho)?

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO. Get away from that poor horse please. Its been dead so long its stinking now.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wormtongue

Record gun sales in the wake of this tragedy you mean. That says people are scared. I say lets give them less to be scared about.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

It is dead horse because no one wants to pursue it because they get ridiculed for being a kook....but if you look at the pdf version of the "long form" presented by BHO and staff last year then you have to have your head up said horse;s rear end to not be able to discern that it is a fraudulent copy. Let's name that horse, Lazarus.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

We are not going to make or break the budget with gun sales. Sorry but contrary to belief most Americans are not carrying. Out of all of my family and all of my friends I have two who own guns. Two out of many many. Myself I have only seen a gun "in person" once and I didnt touch it. I would not even pick a gun up.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

That means voting out all the gun grabbers right?

I don't think the White House has much weight to throw around these days. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, but I doubt it will get past the House.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Timing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Actually I meant since Obama got elected the first time. People are stocking up before the obvious "gun grab" rather than out of fear.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

We are not going to make or break the budget with gun sales. Sorry but contrary to belief most Americans are not carrying. Out of all of my family and all of my friends I have two who own guns. Two out of many many. Myself I have only seen a gun "in person" once and I didnt touch it. I would not even pick a gun up.

There are 300 million Americans. If even only 1 out of 100 buy only 1 gun this year, that is around $600 million in gun sales.

That is 60 million in taxes alone.

And more than 1 in 100 Americans are gun owners... and most buy more than one gun per year...

It gets pretty substantial.

And even if it was only $10 million per year. We are running a DEFICIT. Cutting ANY kind of revenue, is NOT how you get out of a deficit.

Edit: Not trying to turn this into a budget argument, but it does have something to do with why not to add more legislation.
edit on 30-12-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join