The Aether: Does the Aether Exist, or Not?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad
I dont usually post one-liners,but, I think maybe this topic should be brought up in the Research Forum.

Good thought, but no. The research forum is strange, read their special rules about the research forum.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
'Aether' was proposed as the medium which allowed EM waves such as light to propagate based on observation of other types of waves such as sound which require a medium consisting of matter in any state. Much the same as 'dark matter' is being proposed to explain discrepancies between cosmological observations and theory. Experiments have been conducted in attempts to prove its existence but all they've shown is that there is no detectable 'aether'.

So, to the question 'Does the Aether Exist, or Not?' I'd say the jury is still out but the affirmative is looking highly unlikely at this point in time. Not proving that it doesn't exist does not confirm that it does.

It was also once proposed that all matter consisted of earth, wind and fire which were bound together by 'phlogiston'. Perhaps the aether theory will ultimately be seen in much the same way (an attempt to understand the unknown) if it hasn't attained that status already.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

I have a theory that relates to but does not solve the question of the Unified Field Theory. I have discussed this at a CD release pary that I aatended as it is mandatory for me to do so several times a year. At that party I met Dr. Michio Kaku the silver haired one who has been on many a Science or Physics TV special.

I explained to him that after understanding that Quarks which are a Quantum Particle/Waveform and exist in a minumum as well as maximum number within ever Proton and Neutron....I believed that these Quanta were doing so due to Probability.

Since the very numerical existence of Quarks changes as they litteraly blink in and out of our Universal existence I surmised that this could only be possible if our Universe was in a Multiversal State and only one of an Infinite number.

As an action forces determination of a choice such as a person driving to work who decides to take another route because a kid threw a ball poorly and that ball went in the road as the kid chased it causing a truck to turn over as to not hit the kid thus blocking the road and forcing a person driving to work to choose whether to take another route or wait in traffic to see if they could pass.

As this person drove to work the Quarks that exist within the Protons and Neutrons of their bodies Atomic Nucleus' would be at a Medium Number...as the kid threw the ball if the trow was a good one the drivers Quarks would continue to exist at a middle number but if the throw was bad an entire chain of events based on probability will increase the Quarks numbers close to or at Maximum.

At the point that the driver takes another route the Quarks now exist at Maximum and the creation of an entire new Divergent and Alternate Universal Reality and thus Timeline are created. The driver takes a different route and stops at a Coffee Shop where they meet their future spouce. But in a different Divergent Universal state the driver waits in traffic and in yet another the driver takes a different route but does not stop for coffee. This shows a Multiversal System and a Quantum Connection of one Divergent Universal state to all others.

This connection could very well be the key to understanding the Unified Field Theory as in order to understand it we may have to look at the problem as one that can only be solved using all Universal Realities. The Silver Haired One said he had never heard of a theory that based Probability as the reason for the numerical existence of Quarks in an Atomic Nucleus but then again He said he did not drink and I know that not to be true.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
'Aether' was proposed as the medium which allowed EM waves such as light to propagate based on observation of other types of waves such as sound which require a medium consisting of matter in any state. Much the same as 'dark matter' is being proposed to explain discrepancies between cosmological observations and theory. Experiments have been conducted in attempts to prove its existence but all they've shown is that there is no detectable 'aether'.

So, to the question 'Does the Aether Exist, or Not?' I'd say the jury is still out but the affirmative is looking highly unlikely at this point in time. Not proving that it doesn't exist does not confirm that it does.

It was also once proposed that all matter consisted of earth, wind and fire which were bound together by 'phlogiston'. Perhaps the aether theory will ultimately be seen in much the same way (an attempt to understand the unknown) if it hasn't attained that status already.

The only reason why there has been no detectable aether is probably because there has been no real experiment that could justify in determining if the aether exists or not. I like the way you evaluated the subject.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The Unified Field Theory is very much similar to the aether theory. As with the aether theory so goes it with the Unified Field Theory, they both remain an open line of research.

I'd like to hear what it would take to prove that the aether doesn't exist. Maybe I could do an experiment and prove that it exists or that it doesn't exist, but I would have to have some idea as to what would prove or disprove it for once and for all. The same goes for the Unified Field Theory.

With the technology that I have, I'm pretty sure there is a way to prove it one way or another, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

What is your idea on this subject Split Infinity?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists

Originally posted by tkwasny
As space is time that is static, and time is space that is kinetic, this aether is the root composition both are in fact composed of.

Your stating that SPACE is time that's static, and TIME is space that is kinetic; and the AETHER is the root composition both are composed of?

I think that could be considered a very rough, yet fairly accurate accessment of the situation.

I can "see" that existence and it is quite bothersome. I cannot stop "seeing" it. I haven't found the off switch. I've spent years just holding on for the ride.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

First I would need your determination of just what is the Aether concept as there seems to be so many varying opinions. Then I could answer your question.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
There is a lot of theory behind all of this. Its about time people start eliminating theory and get some hard facts, that's why I started this thread. First the theories will come out, and later, about 30 years from now the hard facts will surface; hahaha.

According to earlier posts, this would not be the case... since it has been about a century since neutrinos were theorized and about 50 years since they were actually detected... according to your earlier statements (which too were also incorrect regarding the IceCube experiment) neutrinos dont exist and or the theory is incorrect. After these wholesomely incorrect assertions, I find it quite difficult to really believe/trust/accept anything you are saying after misunderstanding the basic premise of a whole article and paper. Maybe it is my own loss, though moving back on topic....

By this standard you might say that since that the Aether was theorized long before the neutrino, and yet it still hasn't been proven to exist.

It is about time that the people who claim to know about all this were actually open about the knowledge and this 'technology' they claim to have... if not, then we might as well be talking about magic beans and other fantasy inventions like in several threads here.

The Aether has not been proven to exist, classically it has been disproven, though newer ideas and reasonings have sprouted from that... some of these have been discredited, others are moving into the realm were words on the page appear to be the splicing together of scientific language in such a way as to sound impressive but mean very little...

Apologies for returning to this thread, I did so for scientific curiosity

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErosA433

The Aether has not been proven to exist, classically it has been disproven, though newer ideas and reasonings have sprouted from that... some of these have been discredited, others are moving into the realm were words on the page appear to be the splicing together of scientific language in such a way as to sound impressive but mean very little...

what is the difference between the Aether, and vacuum/space-time fabric/ infinite electromagnetic field/infinite higgs field?

mainstream science has denied the existence of the Aether.. But their main view of the universe is that all these invisible fields permeate the entirety of space, which pretty much is the concept of the aether..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

The interesting thing is that you might be right in reverse. Forget about the old hat synopsis. Earth Wind Fire and Water are not meant to be elements and alchemy isn't dead either. They are used as a description of energies that interact as one of these. The fifth being aether has direct correlation to Eastern Mysticism.

I don't think aether is related to the elements as it's more about the play on things. Interesting substance if it had weight or gravity.

I'm guessing that to some people aether is a tangible thing which cannot be described. To another person, aether is a way to make some equations complete. The last category see man made ideas.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

At the point that the driver takes another route the Quarks now exist at Maximum and the creation of an entire new Divergent and Alternate Universal Reality and thus Timeline are created. The driver takes a different route and stops at a Coffee Shop where they meet their future spouce. But in a different Divergent Universal state the driver waits in traffic and in yet another the driver takes a different route but does not stop for coffee. This shows a Multiversal System and a Quantum Connection of one Divergent Universal state to all others.

What if there is also a coexisting infinite amount of dimensions as well as linear universes; an unlimited potential perspectives to bounce our conscious on? A universe where every line is infinite??

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ErosA433

The Aether has not been proven to exist, classically it has been disproven, though newer ideas and reasonings have sprouted from that... some of these have been discredited, others are moving into the realm were words on the page appear to be the splicing together of scientific language in such a way as to sound impressive but mean very little... Apologies for returning to this thread, I did so for scientific curiosity

Arrogant much?

You said nothing of what you believe and merely claimed scientific superiority.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Some people.....
edit on 11-1-2013 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Lol you must have surely confused the # out of the silverhaired one
with that gobbledygooky theory

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What exists where there are no atoms, or particles, electrons or quarks, or dark energy or matter?

in an atom, what exists in between the nucleus and electrons?

in a proton what exists in between quarks?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Infinite Universal Space/Time Dimensionality very well may be a possibility however I believe that it would exist in one specific Divergent Universal Reality that is not of our group.

I am kind of certain that our Universal Reality has more than just 10 or 11 Dimensional States but people have to understand that the Hollywood concept of Aliens from ANOTHER DIMENSION is a faulty statement. What they should be saying is Aliens from an Alternative Divergent Universal Reality that would have to be within our Universal Grouping to have the same Universal Space/Time Geometry for them to be able to exist in it.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

He's a Good Guy! I like him very much. He can't handle more than 2 shots though. LOL!

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I actually like it. It keeps the pointless ego debates out. It allows ATS member themselves to contribute to a meaningful research topic.

And again, its clean. No wasted space comments that sidetrack.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

What exists where there are no atoms, or particles, electrons or quarks, or dark energy or matter?

in an atom, what exists in between the nucleus and electrons?

in a proton what exists in between quarks?

Consciousness, I assume.

The dark void creates the space necessary for material to exist.

The most subtle witness of the material world is non-phenomenal.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Infinite Universal Space/Time Dimensionality very well may be a possibility however I believe that it would exist in one specific Divergent Universal Reality that is not of our group.

I am kind of certain that our Universal Reality has more than just 10 or 11 Dimensional States but people have to understand that the Hollywood concept of Aliens from ANOTHER DIMENSION is a faulty statement. What they should be saying is Aliens from an Alternative Divergent Universal Reality that would have to be within our Universal Grouping to have the same Universal Space/Time Geometry for them to be able to exist in it.

Split Infinity

All great points.
The whole concept of aliens is too limiting. Of course we are aliens. We stand on a sphere, geographically bound on orbiting disks, in a universe with untold reincarnations. Nothing is unusual here.

A centralized universal reality would only ever be an idea (a thought) and as an idea it is limited by the perspective that holds it, so it's a fair bet that not every kind of consciousness would agree on anything we could come up with.

You have to think outside of common dimensions to see other dimensions. Maybe we already do?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join