It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Not Elsewhere? WHY HERE? Empty Crusades.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I have to say I deduced a couple of things with your rant Heff.

1. You spend far too much time in the shower, and;

2. You've really hit the microcosm of the entire internet on the head with your rant.

Welcome to "keyboard warrior" territory. Here in Aust they call it "the toughest dog behind glass" syndrome, and is really a show of how the world has become, a world where each generation lacks the ability to take responsibility and think of consequences before opening their mouth, changing feet and ploughing in without actually stopping to think what they're actually saying is something, in real life, might just earn them a black eye or worse.

I think sometimes people forget this is essentially a debate site, where opinions are tossed back and forth every day, to most to gain knowledge about the way the world really is. Unfortunately when people bring that "facebook" attitude to places like this, they find out not everywhere on the internet is a lawless wasteland like facebook.

I used to get frustrated when people began acting up here, but now I either walk away or hit that alert button if it warrants. Getting down to it with someone so wholly closed off to a new idea or opinion is really just wasting my skills and time. It may mean I post less than I used to, but at the end of the day the content is more filling with people who are actually willing to listen and consider.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Your rant epitomises your rant.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Just as I was considering leaving ATS for all Hef's reasons, along comes a thread or 2 that makes me stop think a bit and change my mind.
One was a plea for help about a hopice, it moved me.
Then I read this thread and now have to change where I wet myself laughing.
Thanks guys you know who you are, just made my day

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Heff & everyone else... to late for me to read through every post but have to say I share the pain. ATS has been full of a lot of what I call "muck" lately. I have not been giving ATS much attention because.... there is not a damn thing going on besides bickering over this or that.

I get enough of that in my real life that I don't need to read more of it on here. I love ATS so don't get me wrong but ... Yawn...... it is time for bed.

P.S. Huff.... your awesome! I love the wild threads you throw out here and there to keep us on our toes and thinking!

Loves Restless

edit on 12/31/2012 by restlessinMT because: Sleepy dumb stuff and probably more!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

Originally posted by sirbadazz
you make numerous empty assertions about nothing with no topic...

now yoy whine and complain about nothing...

this post and rant is so pissy and whiny it unbelievably sickens me...

Listen, you sound a little down... and it may seem like sometimes people don't understand you...

But someday man, SOMEDAY, people are gonna see you for what you REALLY are.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Pot calling the kettle black. Members and staff are guilty of "empty" crusades.

This site is all talk no action and juvenile behavior.

Mods using rage faces... made me check my link to see if i was on reddit or 4chan....
when i saw them i was.

this site is a joke.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Muhammad (pbuh) said

"People are like the mines of gold and silver"

I do believe that I can learn many things from other people. there are many mind mines hidden between people.

And I want others to say their opinion.

peace.

Edit : Wanting other people to shut their mouth is not going to solve anything.

And opening a website which people are debating in , is something hard. It is admirable.

If you want a debate site , keep up ATS freely.

If you want some one way mind injection , open a TV channel and start it.

But I recommend free ATS.
edit on 31-12-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
As others have said, you have beautifully summed up the unfortunate nature and inherent frustrations of the internet. Anonymity breeds lack of accountability, and a willingness to say whatever is on one's mind without forethought or filter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm the last person to condone censorship. I believe people should have the right to speak their mind, even when that might ruffle people's feathers. But some people who advocate for their free speech here (which they willingly accepted a temporary and conditional abridgement of when agreeing to ATS's T&C) really are simply blowing smoke and feeling entitled to their own cantankerousness.

While generally this is just an annoyance, there is a darker side. As we have recently seen on ATS, things like the outing of people's private information, outright paranoia (even on a conspiracy site, there's a difference between suspicion and investigation, and just plain paranoia and assumption,) and the overt wishing of harm on others, are things that the cloak of anonymity also allow people to engage in without much fear or consequence. Of course, that's what the T&C and mods are there for, but sometimes the damage is done.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I wonder how much of what has taken place over the last weeks and months isn't a direct result of the pent-up expectations of so many, who were really hoping for SHTF...
Kinda like my spouse...who always wants to know exactly what to expect and when?...
"Gimme a DATE."
(As if I was contractually obligated to divulge that knowledge.
)

How many people, would you guess, have been waiting, hoping and believing for an apocalyptic event to give them a chance to "start over"?
(the next Noah & clan - or "Mother Abigail" & company)

'Could just be a bunch of pissed-off people resorting to their last best hypotheses...

It is fairly frustrating, though, to think (expect/hope) you're involved in discussion with others...who want to get to the bottom of an issue - only to find that they (en masse) are more interested in their egos, than intellectual honesty.

Your shower sounds somewhat like a sweat lodge.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Love your rant, Hef as always you make your point.

A little disconcerting going from your rant through a shower scene with a goat, to ... Bacon?

I will freely admit that I have in the past and probably will in the future post crusade threads.
The differance being I say the same things to people irl when ever I can.
My "Crusades" are Border Control, the 2nd amendment, and the slow erosion of our rights as citizines of the U.S.
But my goal is to educate with facts and to learn through discussion of those facts, I don't often get arguments.

BTW try this sometime

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

That's the usual with many people feeling entitled enough to offer 'their' opinion... you know, the right one. I feel it's much more about people feeling they are better then others then actually being for a cause much like those lunatics at PETA and other organizations that claim to do good then do an insanely unethical act to 'get their points across'. I feel the same, I feel as if America isn't the America I grew up thinking I lived in. Nothing is free, people cry for their freedoms to be robbed from them daily, then refute when their naked body is going to be shown on a scanner. I'm sure I could point to a number of psychological illnesses but whats the point. These crusades are often shallow and self absorbed and I'm tired of living in a country where people do more talking then they do walking.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Great thoughts Heff.

I pass out fliers and NEVER miss a chance to tell whoever will listen about what (I think) is going on on this planet.

Which is probably why my girl left ,I lost my home ,and am unemployed .

But none of that will stop me getting the word out as far as I can

There have been many times I wanted to do something bigger than just talk and pass out fliers but im not sure what else I can do.

I often wonder about trying to call a protest or or something but im afraid to post it here due to T&C.

Is there anyway to use ats as a rallying point? The people here are some of the best anywhere and sometimes I feel this brilliance goes to waste.

Im all for suggestions as to how I can use ats and its members as a "grassroots" movement to really try and change this world?

this site has provided me with more insight than all my years of schooling

So what can I get away with without coming head to head with the T&C?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Greetings ATS

More then half the reply's i write i dont even actually post.

Very much Because of the facts discussed : the total lack of respect for other people opinions and the personal Crusades people are "leading" to force there opinion on others.

The Solution is very simple : treat people the way you like to be treat , or atleast take it in consideration.

These Threads are the perfect reminder to us all that even with all the means to communicate with a lot of people from all places around this world , we still fail at respecting others oppinions

Thumbs up for any one else who engages in modest Discussions based on mutual respect , i know most of us come here for the same reasons , to find Information , proof , company or just being curious about all the subjects discussed here.

I wish everyone the best for 2013

Thegreazel

edit on 31-12-2012 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

And yet you manage to post in every thread I author, very much in the same exact tone as this post. You do realize there's a little "X" at the top right hand side of your screen. Right? Maybe you've inadvertently set ATS as your homepage and cannot figure out how to correct it. If so, give me a shout. I'm always happy to help.

Wait... Unless there's somebody standing behind you with a gun making you be here. If that's the case use the safe phrase "I haven't been to the mountains since I was a kid." Type that and I'll inform the authorities and send help ASAP!

~Heff
edit on 12/31/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by jiggerj

What is this obsession with bacon around here? Greasy, gross stuff. Ick.

You're supposed to cook it until it's crisp. If you indulge in sloppy, floppy bacon, then you are too impatient and of course will not be satisfied. You need to wait until it is fully hard to derive its fullest value.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Damn I was told the pass to ATS freedom is 'the sheep are gathering in the hills'
Is there no way out

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

You're just still smarting because you have negative points, meaning some mod slapped you down for an Extreme T&C Violation, and so you're still all angry about it because you've got rights and all that. In other words, Heff was likely talking about you. Too bad! Looks kind of like you were pounding on the keyboard while you typed that. i know how you feel. My "Z" key doesn't work any more.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Sorry to say, but you moderators are swimming in the sheets of the bed you made.

Remember, the first to cry foul is usually the first to have committed a foul.

Too many times I have watched trolls ruin threads, lost points, saw others lose points defending themselves against the trolls, as the mods discriminately enforced the rules. Too many hate threads allowed breed, too many good posters chased away.

In order for the system to work, there must be a fair set of evenly enforced rules.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Na, just as an example of how strange I am let me relate something I experienced tonight. My husband bought one of those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store since I have this horrid headache and I didn't feel like cooking. You know, I could barely bring myself to eat it. I looked at it and I could see that at some point it was a living thing and I just...I ate it, but I know the day is coming when I won't be able to do it. It's just bizarre. I do that with all meat. I hope SNHTF because I'd probably starve to death unable to eat bunnies and squirrels.

I'll probably be a full flown vegetarian in the next year or so. I don't fuss at others about what they eat, but it just bothers me to eat it for some reason.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What an absolute load of rubbish. I won't even bother with the whole half-baked sophism about the one to cry foul.

I cannot believe I am trying to find words to explain to a person, whom I assume to be an adult, that two wrongs don't make a right. That it takes two to tango. That you are responsible for your own actions, and it's the height of deflection and irresponsibility to portray it as Well some guy on the Internet said stuff and he made me have to say stuff back... it's his fault....

They're words on a screen man. The only power they have is the power you give them.

One bad post is a single post removal. One bad post, with a four page argument following? That's a nightmare. This is a prime example of what this OP is about. In the real world you wouldn't use this sort of thinking - at least not in your own life. If you do, it's not likely to work. I've never heard a judge say "Charges dropped because the defendant proved the other guy started it."

Unreal.

If you see a bad post, alert it. It's that simple. Alert it and move on. If you do feel morally obligated to "defend yourself" - it's not like you don't know what the consequences are. Your choices, your responsibility to deal with them.

As far as "too many hate threads"... I suppose that is a matter of personal opinion and perspective. There is no community consensus upon the notion of what is a hate thread and what isn't. During the elections nearly every thread that had the words "Obama" or "Romney" in them got complained about by the other side as "hate speech". Should ATS have arbitrarily picked a side and forbidden the other a venue to discuss things?

FTR - the rules are applied as evenly and fairly as is possible. Few actions are meted out without the consensus of several staff members being involved.

Speaking of that. Roughly 70 staff members to keep watch over between five and ten thousand posts per day. You do understand that we're not babysitters. We don't read every post, as it is posted. This isn't one of those sites where all comments are reviewed before going public. But we do try. My profile lists 2,771 threads started. In reality, I've authored 153 threads. The rest of those are complaints about posts.

Made my own bed. You should spend an hour or two in the Youtube comments maybe... so you might see the difference.

edit on 12/31/12 by Hefficide because: clarity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join