It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Not Elsewhere? WHY HERE? Empty Crusades.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yes, yes, yes... I know. My profile had the words "Forum Moderator" in it. So, before I begin my rant, please let me take a minute to explain, for those who are not aware, some facts about that status.

I am not an employee of ATS. I am not sitting in a call center, somewhere in India, getting paid to be here in any customer support capacity. None of us are. We are all members who were asked, and volunteered to help out with the community, gratis, simply because we love the site and want to contribute to its ongoing existence and success. I was a member here before I was a moderator. If I ever step down or am removed as moderator, I will still be a member here ( provided I don't do anything stupid and get myself banned.).

That is the reality of it. Member first, moderator second.

Some seem to think that the moderator thing is about d-ego and power tripping. To them all I can say is, truly, if you spent a day or two on staff? I honestly believe most would say "You know what? This isn't fun at all. Can I go back to how things were?" It's rewarding in its own ways. But it really can be a total hassle. Trust me, when there are 20-30 U2U's, back and forth, with an enraged member, over an obvious T&C infraction - and all you, as a member first, really want to do is participate in a thread, or write one? It can be quite trying.

However, I am not here to whine. This is the rant forum, and I am here, as a member. Just Heff to rant! The above is purely for context.

C'mon - Get Brave! CARTOONS WERE DISCLOSURE!

Some of you, I am sure, like myself have been flat out jaw-dropped over the past week or two over some of the posts and subjects that have hit the boards in that period. Erratic talk of freedom of speech, feeling an overwhelming need to do "what's right", and generally mind-numbing points of view that have left me totally twitching and trying to understand.

Crusades often have that effect on people. They tend to leave all who aren't "true believers" kind of off to the side, watching in shock and saying "Ummm... OK. Whatever floats your boat."

This isn't uncommon on websites like ATS. What is uncommon is the ferocity of such positions lately. Normally if a member or members wants to discuss topics that ATS doesn't consider good for the community - once they calm down they usually say "Oh, OK. Cool. I know of other places to discuss that subject anyway..." and it's over.

Lately, however. That isn't happening at all. In fact the opposite is happening. Folks are saying "You WILL let me talk about this here OR ELSE!" and the crusade is off and running.

For a minute this, quite frankly, had me rather pissed off. You'll notice that, though usually pretty prolific in posting and creating threads... I've been highly inactive lately. This is not by choice. I've been that busy dealing with the fallout from the recent crusades and have been bummed about it.

But this morning, while I was in the shower - where I do most of my quality thinking, it occurred to me. These people are sssooo freaking fake in their supposed sincerity. I mean it hit me like a ton of bricks. Sure, they crusade here - and it looks honorable and noble to some other folks. But think about it. Are any of these people popping-up and saying "Great, I went to work today and tried to tell everyone there about my thoughts on this issue. The boss told me company policy forbade such discussion... But, damn it, freedom of speech matters so much to me that I INSISTED he shut up and let me speak. I got fired for my beliefs! I feel THAT strongly about the subject!"

Hell no they haven't. And they won't. Why not? Because they've got common sense! That's right. Sense enough not to tamper with their own lives. So why do it here? Why front like a crusader when the truth is that you won't even bloody your blade? Why engage in empty rhetoric here when it's not important enough to really stand up for?

Of course the answer is obvious. They do it here because there is nothing to lose here. Getting banned isn't really a threat. So it's the perfect place to act like a crusader and to play games with whatever following you can attract. If they get banned along with you? Bonus lulz.

See?

I don't see anybody saying "I believe a crime has occurred, how can I really make a difference?" Nobody has said "I want the FBI contact information. You know what? I don't trust the FBI! I want the contact information to every foreign intelligence agency in the world! Can somebody help me out! I AM GOING TO GET JUSTICE!"

If they were to say that? I'd happily Google for hours to find an answer for them. That's right, mean old, repressive mod Heff would contribute, freely, his own time to assist. But that doesn't happen and it isn't likely to. Fake crusaders don't really want the Feds knocking on their front doors to take a formal statement about what they say they believe. They don't want to be on record saying the crazy stuff they DEMAND the "right" to say here.

Smoke and mirrors. Rhetoric. BS.

Another thing occurred to me... for awhile I wrote off some members as simply "unique". Every community has its out there crowd. ATS is no different. But the shower tells all - and I had another epiphany.

You ever see a thread titled "Cartoons Are Disclosure!!!" and then a statement that the OP believes strongly enough in that fact that he/she is going to test it by dropping an anvil on their head? Running off of a cliff to see if they really do hover there for 2 seconds? Smoke dynamite to see if they'll survive the explosion blackened, and moving their nose back in place - from the back of their head?

Ya ever see a thread from somebody wanting to know where the real world Acme products mail order company can be found at?

Nope.

Very telling. Very, very telling.

Getting out of the shower, awhile ago, I had this headful of thoughts, and pondered whether or not they were something I should or should not post ( personal accountability and judgement. Much easier than a removed post and 20-30 U2U's back and forth. Just sayin' ). Ultimately I decided to post this rant for one reason. To try and give perspective to the logical and well intentioned members who sometimes get sucked into these crusades. In the long run its those folks who end up getting the short end of the stick if things get ugly and go south. They are the ones who wake up and regret things a few days down the road.

For them I say: If you see a member in meltdown and sympathize or empathize with them. Ask yourself? Do they really have a valid point that they are genuinely moved by? Or are they just empty crusaders looking for an environment where they can stir the pot and get their jollies at the expense of others.

Now I feel better. And food for thought.

/rant

~Heff

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Can I come over, and take a shower at your house. You have a shower that appears to produce some pretty awesome epiphanies....

Great, thought provoking rant, Heff.....

Des

edit on 30-12-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yah he has one of these babiez...

But, I love how you express yourself Heff, through your eloquent writing I can definetly sense your essence and character.I would love to chat with you one day and have a smoke.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Can I come over, and take a shower at your house. You have a shower that appears to produce some pretty awesome epiphanies....

Im pretty sure thats sexual harrassment and against the T&Cs
Heff as a new mod I expect you to do your thing and ban destiny

edit on 30/12/2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Great, thought provoking rant, Heff.....

Des

Im pretty sure thats sexual harrassment and against the T&Cs
Heff as a new mod I expect you to do your thing and ban destiny

You are just jealous cause you can't use the awesome shower

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Whoah...wait a minute. I said take a shower...not take a shower with Heff...ewwwww.....

Heff, is more than welcome to ship his shower to me. Where I may indulge in it's mystical qualities, in the privacy of my own home....

Though, I would shower with his Avy...

Neener...neener....

Des

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

New??? I'll be 3 years on staff next month.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

You are just jealous cause you can't use the awesome shower

Actually Im just jealous I dont have women asking to come over and use it with me

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Wait a minute? "Eeeewwwwww"???

This is now becoming eerily like my real life. Getting restraining orders from women I've never even met. When I ask I get answers like "She saw you at Wal Mart and just to cover her bases...."

I didn't do NUTTIN'.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Whoah...wait a minute. I said take a shower...not take a shower with Heff...ewwwww.....

Heff, is more than welcome to ship his shower to me. Where I may indulge in it's mystical qualities, in the privacy of my own home....

Neener...neener....

Des

Sorry Des but were not silly and we could read between the lines

*In a childish schoolyard tone of voice* Des and Heff sitting in a tree..................

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I feel sorry for you now. You just need a shower buddy. I have a goat that is in desperate need of a bath.
What is your shipping addy Sweet Pea....

Des

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Well, hmmm. I'm going to be honest, I ain't that keen on talking to a mod but whatever.

But this morning, while I was in the shower - where I do most of my quality thinking, it occurred to me. These people are sssooo freaking fake in their supposed sincerity. I mean it hit me like a ton of bricks. Sure, they crusade here - and it looks honorable and noble to some other folks. But think about it. Are any of these people popping-up and saying "Great, I went to work today and tried to tell everyone there about my thoughts on this issue. The boss told me company policy forbade such discussion... But, damn it, freedom of speech matters so much to me that I INSISTED he shut up and let me speak. I got fired for my beliefs! I feel THAT strongly about the subject!"

You are right. It's really about image in the end. It's about feeding the ego. This is the reason why in my actual life when I encounter people like this I just say "You are right" and let it go. You can't win. There isn't a thing you can do. When people call me ugly or stupid I say the same thing. I just don't give a damn anymore, Of course, you don't have that luxury being a mod and all but it is what it is.

Humans are biased, cliquish and ego driven and this place is no different. Now if you don't mind, I need to go let my hair down.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I feel sorry for you now. You just need a shower buddy. I have a goat that is in desperate need of a bath.

Des

WHOA HOLD UP HOLD UP!!!!!!!!!!

Is the goat hot?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Indeed, you have raised a valid point here mate.

Whenever I see a thread going all "facebook" and stuff (and I have learnt to tell fairly quickly which ones do either by title or poster, or both) I'll sometimes keep it open but not actively participate for one very simple reason:

The thread is not about a discussion, its about taking the podium and trying to convince people of their wrongness.

When this happens, I go to "top topics", "last 12-months" or "all time" and continue reading for what I came here for in the first place. Or I go to my favourite contributors profile page(s) and continue reading their threads - what better way to get to know someone.

I do not envy you your task Heff - at least I can shoot off to my chill-out thread and hang with my homies when the threads turn sour.

I wonder who will take offence to your OP?......................

S&F

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Des

Is the goat hot?

Super hot. Comes with the stockings, but shoes stay..Des is still rockin them!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

Des

Is the goat hot?

Im not stupid

You show me that picture and get me all excited then you send over an ugly goat.

As if anyone would willingly part with a goat that hot

EDIT yyou must really think Im an idiot....THATS A SHEEP!!!!!!
And by the looks of it an underage one, Heff another one that needs to be banned here

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Des

Is the goat hot?

Im not stupid

You show me that picture and get me all excited then you send over an ugly goat.

As if anyone would willingly part with a goat that hot

EDIT yyou must really think Im an idiot....THATS A SHEEP!!!!!!
And by the looks of it an underage one, Heff another one that needs to be banned here

You get what you see in the online offer, we don't dissapoint our valuable customers. Des is bored of this hot babe, she is into cows.. now..if you know what I mean..

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Excuse the off topic conversaton, sometimes I can really go at it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You get what you see in the online offer, we don't dissapoint our valuable customers. Des is bored of this hot babe, she is into cows.. now..if you know what I mean..
Excuse the off topic conversaton, sometimes I can really go at it.

LOL I get it, hefficide as in heffa or another name for a cow

Ok back on topic..........

Ummmmmm........

What was the topic again?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

A good and valid rant. I myself take a period off from ATS for a few weeks to a month. Started after the election and once Sandy Hook happened, I've pretty much just lurked. It just got a bit crazy and I felt that ATS was starting to mimick other websites that have few rules.

I do not need to repeat my beliefs as I have put them out there before and I found myself repeating myself time and again. I'm keep trying to come up with a more salient point when I reply or post nowadays.

The last two months have been quite the emotional time for many, myself included, so I stepped away...for a bit anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join