It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested after online rant against Liverpool and Hillsborough disaster victims

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

Brilliant. So, now we're lumping everyone into the same boat, are we? Way to go. As you'll notice if you have read this thread, which I assume you have not going from your post, we have UK members arguing against each other about this arrest of this individual. That's UK members arguing for and against the arrest of this individual and arguing for and against the extent of free speech etc. I've also seen Americans do the same, for and against. So your attack on just us Brits here is not only ridiculous, It's also unwarranted. So, please, let's try and have an Intelligent discussion here and try to avoid the silly stereotyping because It's just flat out wrong. Always. And that's not going to change.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with disagreeing. I understand that's how it works, It's something I'll never try to change (ever) and I have a lot of respect for alot of the others posting in this thread, so long as they're respectful and avoid being hateful or exaggerate to try and prove a point too.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Sounds like you took the correct actions and it was dealt with - the way it should be. Through discussion and understanding, not giving the government the right to arrest someone for a speech.

link   
reply to post by bates

Speaking your mind is like blasphemy here in the UK, or maybe not, Im confused

Blasphemy Law in the UK

link   
And so, yet another thread descends in to America's rights vs Britain's rights.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
You guys are funny.
You do realize that the US Constitution is just a paper in other countries-that the rights it entails are non-applicable right?
"right to defend" and "freedom of speech"... *facepalm.

And you do relaise that th USA is not the only country in the world with a constitution and laws that are suposed to protect free speach?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

While I disagree that the man should have been arrested and support your right to just say as you did, I'm now exercising my right to voice my opinion that your opinion is flawed. ATS is an international site, it is not an American right to post here, anyone willing to follow the tc's and with internet access can post here. The man was arrested in England thus subject to what England considers free speech... it has nothing to do with our Constitution. I agree with your sentiment that he shouldn't have been arrested but can you do it in a way that doesn't conjure up images of " 'Murica... F*** yeah!"?

link   

edit on 30-12-2012 by Kali74 because: dbl post

link   
reply to post by Rising Against

wrong. freedom of speech and expression is non-negotiable. causing 'offense' is not a crime. nor should it be treated as such. pathetic.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Wow, I came into this thread expecting to see a lot of "well done's", and "thankfully this guy was arrested", but instead I see everyone thus far complaining about it? Seriously? Wow, how absolutely disgusting that is.

The Hillsborough disaster is called a disaster for a reason people. Period. 96 innocent people died that day when they shouldn't have. 96 families were punished in the most horrible way and millions of people even watched this incident take place live on television. It's something that's scarred many. And someone's actually ranting about it and being highly offensive to the victims, victims of which were blamed for their own deaths up until this year until the truth finally came out.

Yet, bearing this in mind, the fact that someone is offending those who wrongly died, some of which were yet to reach the age of 15, the offender is being defended right here on ATS. That actually makes me quite sad to be a member.

Well done for this moron being arrested. He can spew his hate in prison.

Edit: Sad thing is I'll probably be one of the only one's saying this too. But, it has to be said really. This is just pure hate speech from a pure moron. The fact some are defending it sickens me too.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

Wow. Just wow. You seriously believe that a man should be imprisoned for voicing an opinion? The fact that YOU defend his arrest makes ME sick.

link   
He should be jailed for that, Hillsborough was a disaster that no one could have for seen. Now the families have finally got some justice, they still have a big fight on their hands.

link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Sure,
But the UK doesn't do that in quite the same way-nor does the EU.
Consider the Blasphemy laws.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Yes, but to the girl who made the remarks, it was like being arrested, tried and convicted for her actions. Have you ever been in the company of a 13 yr old who has had their phone, computer, allowance and freedom to see friends removed for 30 days? She learned a harsh lesson, that sitting behind a keyboard making horrible remarks about someone for no reason is not an acceptable thing to do. Obviously no one can take this guy's computer away (though might not be a bad thing) so he has to face the consequences of his actions in another way and after this event maybe he will learn that what he was saying was not acceptable to the majority of people.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
reply to post by Rising Against

wrong. freedom of speech and expression is non-negotiable. causing 'offense' is not a crime. nor should it be treated as such. pathetic.

So, you think people should be allowed to go out there and quite literally say whatever the hell they want, with absolutely no limitations whatsoever? Well, I do say good luck to you in such a world, because I won't be pretty. Not in the slightest.

A world where 9/11 victim's can be openly abused and mocked, as the Hillsborough one's have been. A world where anyone can be insulted, mocked and berated for something completely out of their control. When it comes around to bite you, you won't be so willing for such a world, I can assure you.

I live in the real world. A world where I recognize that we do unfortunately need some limits.

link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

The whole point of the "big fight" we're having is to prove that Duckenfield could and should have foreseen the disaster.

Even so, expressing a possibly offensive opinion shouldn't be enough to jail a man. As I've said and someone else earlier on, he was probably arrested for the shooting comments.

link   
reply to post by destination now

It's sounds to me like you daughter was the victim of a horrific hate campaign and was receiving very real harassment, i'm not sure it falls under the freedom of speech issue.

It wasn't just people saying nasty things, it was coupled with some very real actions that moves it well out of the freedom of speech remit.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
reply to post by crazyewok

Sure,
But the UK doesn't do that in quite the same way-nor does the EU.
Consider the Blasphemy laws.

No its not perfect, but neither is the USA. We dont have a patriot act.....

And the blasphemy laws are not enforced anymore.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The sad thing about free speech, is if we take it away we won't take away people's frustrations. They will just express them with violence instead of speaking about it. I think we are heading for a society with more political correctness. Internet is starting to be a bit like the old Stasi where everybody's a snitch, and nobody trusts anyone. I believe in a future filled with people who walk around as frustrated ticking bombs. Either we strengthen free speech, or we'll need a lot of more policemen with guns. Once people use violence or intimidation, they start something that they can't stop. Once people blurb out the wrong thing, they can redact their statements.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Originally posted by LFN69
cretin
Frankie Boyle
has his arms and legs chopped off and his mouth taped up, preferably, permenantly.
imbeciles
pond life
Bugger
You are as moronic as they are.

I find your words offensive and think you should be banned from the internet.

When you calm down in an hour or so, think about how my post made you feel. How do you think your post would make the poor man in the video feel if he read it?

How does your post make me feel? Uttely indifferent to be honest, however, in the World that we all live in , silence is deemed to be a sign of submission for some reason, hence im bothering to reply to you.
The poor man in the video? Is he? Is he clearly derranged ( another black mark against me for utilising such a word) or is he just one of lifes knob heads that believes in the anything goes mantra?
My language, as blunt as it was, was designed to ellicit the same attention as that fella got, and it worked didnt it, you responded to my "two wrongs dont make a right" style of post.
The reality is you chose to highlight the language and terminology I used in my post to negate its actual content.
Thats your call of course, you have given your opinion and done so in a constructive and articulate manner.
The thing is there IS a ground swell of public opinion that doesnt share your, seemingly, happy clappy views, people dont actually want to calm down and have a slice of toast, they want to get angry and be heard.
Its no suprise that the meek still havent inherited the Earth and the lunatics, have indeed taken over the asylum.
I think you have just proved that for me.

edit on 30-12-2012 by LFN69 because: .

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

I disagree. Everyone is in the same boat, not just us.

Everyone in in the same boat you say? Speak for yourself. Americans are NOT in the "same boat" because we FIGHT for our RIGHTS despite all the UK insults when we do so. (OH the irony of that one!!!)

Heres just ONE example of hundreds. Lets say a gang of THUGS and/or hardened criminals illegally enter a persons home with the intent to tie up the man of the home and force him to watch them rape his wife and then his daughter, and then steal their money, credit cards, and valuable processions, etc. Well, here in America where I live, he is going to be TERMINATED before he lays a hand on ANY of us. Terminated before he even gets the CHANCE to ruin my entire family's lives. PERIOD!!!!!

And the law here where I live will salute me for doing so against said bad guys when they confirm my story to be true. They wont arrest me to using "harsh force" against the thug, gangster, or psychopath whose intention was to create total HELL in our families lives.

Does that sound like a Right or Freedom allowed to UK folks?? We are not in the "same boat".

And its obvious as you can see here how UK folks cant stop minding American affairs and insulting us for standing up for our rights and freedoms. All the rights and freedoms that you all LOST. Are you all that "BLOODY" jealous of us Americans, or is it that you are completely BRAINWASHED?? Do you NOT see it? You will have ZERO rights left over in the UK if you dont STAND UP NOW and do something right now. Oh wait, TOO LATE. And standing up for our Rights is EXACTLY what we in America are ACTIVELY DOING right now, despite the constant insults we see from the UL folks here who are so bitterly jealous or brainwashed.

I have NEVER witnessed anything so ASININE in my entire life as what I see from the UK folks who are so painfully BLIND or BRAINWASHED!!!

edit on 30-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

The whole point of the "big fight" we're having is to prove that Duckenfield could and should have foreseen the disaster.

..And whether he was responsible or not, as ever since the disaster, up until this year in fact, fans have been wrongly blamed for what took place.

Now we know they were not to blame, instead, the actions of those in charge that day, I.e. Duckenfield. A real cover up took place, a sickening one too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join