It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested after online rant against Liverpool and Hillsborough disaster victims

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
reply to post by SprocketUK

not really. the first is annoying wordplay. the second is assault and battery.

So you'll happily sit on your hands no matter what? You really wouldn't react to someone who chooses to say whatever they like to you because its just "wordplay" ?

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to saying whatever inflammatory thing pops into your head..You wouldn't expect to go to a bar and tell all the locals that they're inbred and their women are mooses and not expect to get into a fight, would you?

As well as the freedom to express yourself, other people also have the right not to have to sit there and take it when someone is being provocative. That's life.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I think you're right. He seems to be a Twat. We always get this sort of thing after any disaster that the established news media deems worthy of "reporting". For once, (it seems) they've just reported on what happened.

I believe the problem is that, increasingly "they" just deal with it by jailing the bugger involved. I don't approve of what he said. I reserve my right to call him a Twat (That in itself is an insult) Currently, on line I am personally, insulting a human being, whos'e only crime seems to be that he is a bit disturbed, & doesn't buy into what society "assumes" we should believe.

He's a Twat. Leave him alone to deal with that & let the rest of us just get on with what is more
important.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
That guy really hates Scousers. Can't really blame him. They're not exactly welcoming of outsiders, put it that way. I'm generalising of course but that's been my experience. As for the arrest, I suspect it was about the shooting reference that they decided to pull him in to check him out. No big news story, really. Just a pissed-off guy living in an unfriendly city venting his spleen.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Hate speech or not, what matters is that this man was arrested for voicing his opinions. I can understand arresting someone for making a threat against someone else, but we should all be free to express our thoughts, regardless of how vile they are.

That is so sad...we can all be as vile as we want to one another, for no reason and face no consequences...what a horrible world we live in

If the t&c''s for this site allowed it, you would probably be shocked if you could get a taste of how vile people can be to one another.

Deny ignorance...nah let's just go an create as much ignorance as possible

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by eisegesis
The only speech that should be illegal are LIES!

You know what I mean...

Then he was rightly arrested, the entire population of Liverpool are not drug addicts and alcoholics

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Hate speech or not, what matters is that this man was arrested for voicing his opinions. I can understand arresting someone for making a threat against someone else, but we should all be free to express our thoughts, regardless of how vile they are.
Hah, this sort of crap always makes me laugh. Assault can be verbal as well as physical. Here's a scenario for you. You have a disabled child in a wheelchair who is going to die soon. You take him out for what may be his last view of the outside world. Suddenly I rock up and start pointing at your dying son and saying how his disabled appearance disgusts me and that freaks like him should be kept indoors, or preferably strangled at birth. I finish off by saying that it would give me great pleasure to kill your child, if the law allowed me to.

I suppose in that scenario you'd say "Well I don't necessarily agree with your views good sir, but I respect your right to free speech". No. You'd punch me in the face. Or call the police.
edit on 31-12-2012 by IBelieveInAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by destination now

Labeling speech you don't like "hate speech" doesn't make it any less speech. It's so sad people want the government to protect their little egos and jail people for saying something that hurts their wittle feelings.

Did you read what I posted about what happened to my daughter? If not I suggest you go back and read it and then come and maybe not be so patronising

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I started to become suspicious about all the twitter scandals from sportsmen in the news this past year, and how it was seeming that anything someone says on twitter can get them into serious trouble.
The guy who posted this rant is nothing more than an idiot, but he is not a criminal, but it is obvious that this is soon changing.
Freedom of speech is gone, it started with a few silly comments from footballers and has quickly progressed into a full blown criminal offence to voice an opinion.
The msm piggy backed on top of it for as much air time they could squeeze out of it like they always do.
The powers that be are very clever at getting what they want.
This is a good example of the analogy of putting a frog in water and slowly raising the temperature until it boils to death, rather than dropping it in hot water and it jumping out.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I was thinking, the owners here should consider a one week suspension of all T&C's relating to freedom of speech. Anyone can say and do anything they want.

We'll see how long the majority of members will put up with it. Every trolls field day, every spammers dream..

Lets see if all you "freedom of speech at any cost" members will still be here by choice at the end of it.

The owners probably won't though, because it would be years and years of their hard work down the drain.

But just a thought!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

There's no problem with banning persistent pests who purposefully troll and attempt to derail discussions, the point is these people should not go to jail as a result.
Well done missing the entire point of this thread

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755Sounds like the UK is the perfect home for you. You will enjoy the thought police patrolling, making sure that nobody says anything that upsets you or offends you, or God forbid hurts your feelings.

To the rest of ATS:

The day the ruling powers can oppress our thoughts, no matter how vile and disgusting others may believe them to be, is the day we transform from citizens into servants.

Back to the OP: how disgustingly ironic that you, in your own thread, are spewing your own type of hate towards those who expressed their opinions. I think you should immediately turn yourself in, or at least ban yourself from posting.

That is some awful big talk for a guy that keeps posting garbage like this in every Newtown thread...

Just because God gave you a mouth doesn't mean you always have to use it. Same with a computer keyboard.

so you're clearly implying the police are lying, which is probably a crime.

And of course taking the time to remind us of the trouble we should get into if we question things that offend you.

The wildly foolish self-absorbed conjecture regarding the massacre in Newtown, CT has, in my opinion, thrown the quality of conversation on ATS all the way back to how horrible it was before we started our 6 years of hard work... The staff and I will not let you ruin our years of hard work and suffer your ridiculousness."

Those came from your last 2 posts. I could find dozens more just like them if you want me to.

Apologies to the thread for being personal for a moment...but who are you sconner? Just here to stir the pot?

Seems like you'll say just about anything, regardless how contradictory, to get a response.
edit on 31-12-2012 by swansong19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

There's no problem with banning persistent pests who purposefully troll and attempt to derail discussions, the point is these people should not go to jail as a result.
Well done missing the entire point of this thread

No, I haven't missed the entire point of the thread, you have! What about their freedom of speech, they are just as entitled as you are, but you think they should be moderated and banned, that's the online equivalent of being arrested, and if you disagree, then you are a hypocrite

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I see western civilization's decent into tyrannical hell is moving along nicely.

So we are going to make hate speech illegal huh? What happens when someone rants and hates about the actions of government and officials in government. Jail time?

Yeah things are moving along nicely.

Enjoy the tyranny you helped create

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

How is having your account banned on a website the same thing as being arrested?!
How?!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

Well you've had your freedom to express your opinion on this forum removed. And you haven't answered my question, you agree with banning and moderating members who say things you don't like in forumland but you think it's okay for people to say anything they want in real life? Seriously?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The owner has a right to moderate his/her website, and lay down their own rules, because it's their website, they own it, they make the rules. I have no problem with that.
What I have a problem with is people being ARRESTED for voicing an opinion, whether it is online or in person.
That I dont agree with.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Can't you see how hypocritical that is? We have laws in our country in exactly the same way the owners of this site have laws for members, that is in order that the majority can go about their business without harassment or threats certain restrictions have to be put upon people. Now the majority of us use common sense in regard to these restrictions, and as such rarely, if ever fall foul of the the rules.

Sometimes though certain people need to be reminded of their responsibilities in respect of their freedoms and this guy's arrest is an example of that. He probably won't be charged, although judging from his video, he could probably do with some medical intervention, because he is clearly not thinking in a rational, logical manner and it is probably for his own wellbeing that he is given this help before he rants again, at the wrong person, who subsequently takes the law into their own hands and does him some harm,

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Can't you see how hypocritical that is? We have laws in our country in exactly the same way the owners of this site have laws for members, that is in order that the majority can go about their business without harassment or threats certain restrictions have to be put upon people. Now the majority of us use common sense in regard to these restrictions, and as such rarely, if ever fall foul of the the rules.

Sometimes though certain people need to be reminded of their responsibilities in respect of their freedoms and this guy's arrest is an example of that. He probably won't be charged, although judging from his video, he could probably do with some medical intervention, because he is clearly not thinking in a rational, logical manner and it is probably for his own wellbeing that he is given this help before he rants again, at the wrong person, who subsequently takes the law into their own hands and does him some harm,

No I don't think I am being hypocritical, I don't think voicing an opinion should be an arrestable offence no matter how stupid the opinion is, it's that simple.
I don't want governments having that kind of power, it opens up a whole can of worms and is a big step further to an orwellian society.
I would rather people have the ability to say all kinds of horrible things to me than governments being able to arrest me on my opinions and thoughts.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
You keep referencing that, but I think it is merely an instance in which you are either willfully or ignorantly misunderstanding.

He clearly defamed identifiable individuals. In this instance it was the disaster victims. I seriously have no idea how you are not understanding this -very- straightforward concept.

I think you need to watch the video again, not once does he call the victims of the hillsborough disaster drugs addicts.

It appears you've just spent the last god knows how many hours libeling this man.

Well done.

All he says about hillsborough is.

You squashed yourself to death in that stadium; it's your fault, not the police. So # you.

between 2.25 and 2.35 on the video.

Never mentions drugs or drug addicts when ranting about hillsborough.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Well you've had your freedom to express your opinion on this forum removed. And you haven't answered my question, you agree with banning and moderating members who say things you don't like in forumland but you think it's okay for people to say anything they want in real life? Seriously?

Seriously, there are some websites with little to no moderation people also frequent. Dont like them? Dont go there. So it is not hypocritical at all.

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join