It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Man in America says God exists

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Not really.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Just tell me how life got here.

Tell me what life is, and how life is proof of God.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by NihilistSanta

That doesn't sound like an argument to me. There has to be something out there you can dig up to support your claims.

I've been asking for pretty much the same while so many assertions have been thrown out in this thread.
So far I've been presented with the wonder of trees and multi-cellular organisms etc but nothing specific to convince me any gods were involved.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Its actually well known that belief or disbelief in God correlates with IQ. The more ape-brain types consequently believe they come from apes. But thats no reason to go around bashing or ridiculing atheists. They have my compassion and they have every right to voice what is true for them on their level of understanding. It requires some intelligence to understand and grasp reality.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

Benny was a bouncer at the Plaise De Dance.
He's slash your grannys face off given half a chance.

Emerson Lake and Palmer circa 1975

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
reply to post by grainofsand

The evidence is that they exhibit intelligent design.

No one passes by a house and thinks, "Oh dear, there was another explosion at the Home Depot", in order
to account for it's new presence in their neighborhood.

Nor would anyone see a hummingbird hovering over a flower and think either one of those things occured
because there was an explosion in the universe and a spatter of random particles landed here.
Not if he or she were a thinking person, that is.
edit on 30-12-2012 by PaperbackWriter because: (no reason given)

No evidence of a magical creator there just more of your faith based assertions.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
If everyone believed in God, perhaps they would behave more and not have so many wars.

Lol! Are you serious? Ridiculous man-made deities have given religious people the excuse to kill millions of folks every year! My fricken word! Are you serious? Or being sarcastic when you stated the above?
God Kills. always has, ^##ck religion.

edit on 30-12-2012 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Have you heard of cancer? How about genetic mutations? Ebola? I suppose they're all part of the design.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Very coy insult. I enjoyed that.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by NihilistSanta

I assumed that you might be a student of philosophy but apparently not. Perhaps when you have a firmer grasp on logic and rhetoric we will finish this conversation. Apparently you want a convenient answer which is just not logical. You have no parameters for God so you would not recognize the evidence when presented with it.

If you assert there is a god then you have to remember that it is a faith based position which you are unable to provide evidence for.
I do not assert there are no gods, as such an assertion could not be supported with conclusive evidence.
If one asserts 'there are gods' then the burden of proof is on their shoulders alone.

This might sound new age-ish but can you draw a feeling? You have feelings no one denies that. Can you give me evidence for your feelings? Would a child be evidence of a feeling of love between you and your spouse? You would say that you do indeed have evidence for these feelings. God can not be quantified scientifically. You are limiting yourself in your thinking because you have effectively put blinders on which only allow you to see things which have been filtered through limited observation. I say limited because the observations are only as good as the tool and still requires interpretation. If you had a tool that could view everything simultaneously then you could make an emphatic declaration but instead its more like the childs game from magazines where you see a piece of an image. "Hmm its brownish, has crags and fissures. Must be the surface of mars!" only we zoom back to see its a close up picture of Danny Trejo's face. Your reasoning was sound but your perspective was wrong.

You do not need scientific experts to make logical conclusions. I did not have to wait til I took biology to find out that if I cant take in oxygen I die. Life is a byproduct of a creator. It is not some statistical anomaly which sprang from nothing. To believe that requires far more leaps of faith and denials of logic.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Ape brained? Ok way to throw the whole evolution thing out the window. Obviously you are in the God camp. Sorry honey my IQ is 135 and if I could link an IQ test I took to this I would to prove what I say. I am most certainly not ape brained and I do not think god exists. Rather I think that the word Faith is the filthiest word in the dictionary.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Oh, so you can acknowledge that something as relatively non-complex as a house needs a designer and a builder and materials created to facilitate it's construction, but allow for none of that in the creation of
a living, breathing, reproductive animal, plant or human?

That is astounding.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I remember reading that we have three major parts of the brain:
- The automatic part that keeps our heart beating etc
- The emotional side that works with fight or flight
- The logical side that works with the conscious - makes us aware of who we are

This is not new. What is interesting is that the emotional brain is very old and will try to trick our logical brain which is quite new (in evolution terms). So our emotional side will (falsely) try to justify actions to our logical brains - it is the "head (logical) or heart (emotional)" argument.

I suspect that IQ will only measure the logical side of our brain, not our emotional or how much our emotional has a grip on our logical side. So a high IQ means that he can logically build a good case for what his emotional brain needs to hold onto (for whatever reason) the existence of God,

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

Yeah? I'm willing to accept that that is your opinion. I'd also like to state that there's a distinct possibility that a divine law (and by divine, I mean "order despite chaos") that enables the existence of every other law that currently keeps our existence in motion. No bearded dude in the sky, no conscious entity anxiously watching us inside his/her magical crystal ball, just a law of physics so subtle that it's barely traceable, and yet is necessary for every single law we have so far discovered.

Whaddaya think?

link   

No it takes faith to believe in your reality and anything that says believe without a shred of evidence is filth. I say filth because it degrades intelligence and actually makes mankind out to be less than he really is . I think we are amazing.

link   
He basically has the same view as I do. The whole creationist-evolutionist debate is just absurd to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555

Originally posted by Biigs
If everyone believed in God, perhaps they would behave more and not have so many wars.

Lol! Are you serious? Ridiculous man-made deities have given religious people the excuse to kill millions of folks every year! My fricken word! Are you serious? Or being sarcastic when you stated the above?
God Kills. always has, ^##ck religion.

edit on 30-12-2012 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

Cheers to this. Serious. Name a war that didnt have some godform attached to it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Just one dead baby is enough to say no there is no god. Why even one dead baby ?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

if i punch you in the face are you going to blame God or me.

unless the heavens opened up and you saw a giant fist coming towards your head, the correct answer is to blame me.

Don't blame war on God.

Jesus specifically said to love your neighbour, not invade his country and steal his oil.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Its actually well known that belief or disbelief in God correlates with IQ. The more ape-brain types consequently believe they come from apes. But thats no reason to go around bashing or ridiculing atheists. They have my compassion and they have every right to voice what is true for them on their level of understanding. It requires some intelligence to understand and grasp reality.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Are you serious?

In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination and income, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious belief. His results, published in the scientific journal Intelligence, demonstrated that atheists scored an average of 1.95 IQ points higher than agnostics, 3.82 points higher than liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than dogmatic persuasions

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd like to see your unbiased data links.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join