It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Man in America says God exists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I stopped reading at the part that said "while working as a bouncer"

Smartest bouncer in America?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
At first, I was intrigued by what the proclaimed genius said. Now, however, I'm more interested in how everyone is declaiming the man's status because apparently, "genius" is supposed to mean "I adopt your opinions". ?

I don't declaim his status because I don't like his opinion. I find it funny a group of people who so often refuse to accept what authority says most days are keen to accept what authority says about this guy.

That's the difference here, I refuse to accept this guy is the smartest man in the country because of some appeal to authority. Even if he was, his opinion on God carries no more weight to me than anyone else's.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Langan explains on his website that he believes "since Biblical accounts of the genesis...

Langan has said elsewhere that he does not belong to any religious denomination, explaining that he "can't afford to let [his] logical approach to theology be prejudiced by religious dogma."

Not smart enough to realize he failed his own approach it seems

If you have an IQ of 300 you still need to give a compelling argument. All I saw was one for the philosophical basis for "God", and not one of a Christian God (or any religious God for that matter) ergo no justification for belief in 'Biblical accounts' or 'Genesis'.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

More wars have been waged in the name of God than for any other reason.

Nope....

Most wars are waged for economic reasons, which is why I don't believe in economics.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

You're just jealous because Mensa rejected you.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by antonia

You're just jealous because Mensa rejected you.

No dear, I actually scored high enough to join. I have no need for title and cliques to know I am a worthwhile human being

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

so like i have said many a time god is the universe we are a part of the universe

the question is when we become aware of this on a different level do we

become a universe and so the cycle begins again

?????????WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?????????

HENCE multiverse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 30/12/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Politics, you say?

What is The Bible? What does it concern itself with primarily?
The whole intent is the subject of sovereignty and the laws.

It is a text held by many to be sacred and undeniable, and by which many have freely surrendered their freedoms of both action and thought, and continue to eschew the reclamation of such freedoms. It is a politician's wet dream.

It details the challenges made to GOD's sovereignty and his one simple law as detailed in the first book of Genesis.
Then it goes on to detail how man when he took sovereignty into his hands had to have more laws.
So GOD laid out 10. But, then man wanted more and more because the truth is that man has not a clue how to rule himself.

Let's address that last line. "God" made everything that exists, including the human race. The Bible even stats that man is made in the image of this "God". Therefore, man's rebellion can be traced back to the very nature of this "God". I wouldn't surprised to learn that, if "God" is real, there are many more like him and he is to them as we are to him.

Then it progressed on to where man needed judges over the 10,s the 50's and so GOD mocked them and made them have the most onerous of laws to keep. The more laws they demanded the more he allowed them to have.

Mockery? A parent mocks his/her child by laying down more and more stringent policies? I read about that once. A book, "The Child Called It". It was a true story, every bit of it. The mother had severe mental and emotional issues - it was painful just to read it.

Yes, I am comparing her to the mockery displayed by your "God", in your terms.

Of course the alternative is to "Do as thou wilt". A recommendation adopted by adherents to Luciferian thinking.

Everything in the Universe acts according to "law".
But, yet you propose that every man be a law unto himself.
Fortunately, the objects of the universe do not behave this way on a molecular or mass level.

You appear to be one who thinks that he is capable and learned enough to set the bar for himself irrespective of
any constraint.
Your comparison to "A Child Called it" is a mockery in itself.

GOD did not at first institute any law but one. A simple example of understanding that it is not within the mind of man how the world works, the universe, the rights and wrongs on any matter.
Given the many years of history to prove this, man to his oh so enlightened state of being gives you exhibit A of
the state of the world as it now stands, despite his dubious achievements in his hypothoses of science and math and humanities.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I don't declaim his status because I don't like his opinion. I find it funny a group of people who so often refuse to accept what authority says most days are keen to accept what authority says about this guy.

That's the difference here, I refuse to accept this guy is the smartest man in the country because of some appeal to authority. Even if he was, his opinion on God carries no more weight to me than anyone else's.

I hope you're not casting me in with that lot. I don't listen because of what I'm told he's supposed to be, I listen because of what he says. And really, it falls in line with the whole tangle of ideas I've been playing with. Really, everything is purely a matter of perception. And what he speaks of is more like a law of nature than anything else. Similar to gravity, light, and magnetism, it's a law of energy interaction on the most minute scale, a law that enables every other law to function.

That's just my opinion. And his opinion has some parallels. Naturally, I will find such things interesting. That does not mean I give it credence, it means I want to poke at it some more, play with it. That's all. Are we clear on this?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

reply to post by antonia

I hope you're not casting me in with that lot. I don't listen because of what I'm told he's supposed to be, I listen because of what he says. And really, it falls in line with the whole tangle of ideas I've been playing with. Really, everything is purely a matter of perception. And what he speaks of is more like a law of nature than anything else. Similar to gravity, light, and magnetism, it's a law of energy interaction on the most minute scale, a law that enables every other law to function.

That's just my opinion. And his opinion has some parallels. Naturally, I will find such things interesting. That does not mean I give it credence, it means I want to poke at it some more, play with it. That's all. Are we clear on this?

I was merely explaining my position. If that's not what you believe then it's not what you believe. Personally, I don't see much evidence for his opinion, but as an idiot I accept I will probably never understand "faith". I need to see something tangible not merely philosophical.
edit on 30-12-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Title should have been.
"Smartest bouncer in America says God exists"

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

well.....if he is the smartest man in the US......what about the rest....

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Everything in the Universe acts according to "law".
But, yet you propose that every man be a law unto himself.
Fortunately, the objects of the universe do not behave this way on a molecular or mass level.

That's because molecules don't actively fight to take away from one another. Such a trait is simply exacerbated when a concept like RIGHTEOUSNESS is thrown in. Righteousness, or deserving to override another man's freedom to allow more room for your own. There's no way something like that can be exploited, right?

No, molecules don't practice righteousness. Let us all be thankful for that, otherwise, nothing would exist. Tables would be far too busy stealing atoms from the floor because it feels like it isn't tall or wide enough. And then we have a Dr. Seuss table with a Swiss floor. See how well that works out?

You appear to be one who thinks that he is capable and learned enough to set the bar for himself irrespective of
any constraint.
Your comparison to "A Child Called it" is a mockery in itself.

What's wrong with setting the bar for ourselves? It's a wonderful trick to be able to confront your own demons without someone telling you how to do everything. No one can fight your demons except YOU, because that is who the demons belong to. You.

GOD did not at first institute any law but one. A simple example of understanding that it is not within the mind of man how the world works, the universe, the rights and wrongs on any matter. Given the many years of history to prove this, man to his oh so enlightened state of being gives you exhibit A of the state of the world as it now stands, despite his dubious achievements in his hypothoses of science and math and humanities.

Wow. You gave us 500,000 years, less then 300,000 of which were even remotely capable of science...wow. And you're convinced we can go no further in our understanding?

Like your "God", you severely underestimate the human race. The main problem is our unwillingness to choose, because half the world is convinced it DOESN'T have a choice, thanks to the mythos of your "God". He creates his own problems and blames it on us. What a laugh.

That's why I like the ideas given by the "genius" in the OP. He understands the power of choice.
edit on 30-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

I love this post!
It's true.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Its his opinion and nothing more.
He has no more knowledge or evidence on the subject that anyone else.

He could have easily come to the alternative conclusion.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Anyone here got an IQ that high? No?

I'm going with the GENIUS. They see things we don't.

A high IQ is meaningless without an education and life experience. Drug addicts and the mentally ill also see things that we don't.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
He may or may not be the smartest man in America, but his claims for God's existence are just as lacking in evidence as anyone else's, and are therefore just as lame.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You are what you believe, what i mean by this is that no matter how smart you may be if you believe then its true.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

I stopped reading at the part that said "while working as a bouncer".

Well ya, according to the WiKi article CML threw his abusive father out of the "house" when he was 14.

Sir Isaac Newton found all kinds of secret allegorical codes in the bible and his IQ was reported to be about 190.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

I found a code in my alphabet soup once. I still haven't managed to decrypt it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join