It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Man in America says God exists

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Yeah, I wish more big name scientists would just start admitting that aliens are quite probable. Aliens have been a 'crazy' subject far too long for something that is actually quite a logically conclusion lol. People still get ridiculed for saying they say UFOs and crap!

As for OP, I wouldnt say IQ is that meaningful (I have an IQ of 136-140 though and I definitely can learn things quicker than others, but thats about it
) but he must have a talented brain and I like the theory, it's in line with some of my thinking recently.

I've personally never understood the whole polarity between spirituality/science like omg you have to choose one or the other, it's that type of putting people into boxes crap that halts the mental progression of humanity. From alot of research, mathematical/physics knowledge and experiences in life I'm pretty sure there's an intricate link between observers of the universe and the universe itself that may run so deep that the universe (or 'God' or Mother Nature or the Mother Field or the Dao or whatever you flipping call it - the infinite potential field that holds our universe as a 'subset') uses principles such as evolution as a means of creating a sentinent being that can tap into this source (i.e imagination/ideas/dreams/deep emotions). This ability is precisely what I call the 'soul', I guess it is the divine aspect about us.

P.s I'm agnostic and not a fan of most religions, but I don't see why people in this thread are acting like the geeza was talking about a Christian type God, he was clearly referring to a deeper, more complex, mathematical but hyper-dimensional concept lol. Kind of like the angle Einstein and many other great scientists/thinkers have taken.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Yes, but what if the very motive or catalyst to creation was/is to generate the framework by which a shared mutual experience becomes possible, and we and everything that is, is here because of the love of God.

I would have to say: which god? I'm not an atheist; I have a fondness toward deities from a plethora of religions.

Well I guess the most high God, if you want to be specific, as in

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked."

I'm curious, why specify the Christian god idea as most high?
Absolutely loads to choose from, some more popular than others, some with older traditions, teachings and practices than others.
Each sharing the equal status of lacking any evidence which does not rely on faith.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Funny how believers and non-believers love to debate the existence of the creator, I think to some extent,both are trying to convince themselves.

What is this consciousnesses, awareness?

Does god answer to someone?

Do all paths lead to the same place, our journey, our personal journey, whether we are atheist or deist?

The simplest experiences are the most spiritual. A moment in time, a split second, conscious of my place in the universe.

edit on 083131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Funny how believers and non-believers love to debate the existence of the creator, I think to some extent,both are trying to convince themselves.

Why is it funny?
Theists make assertions that there absolutely is a god, I as a non-believer ask questions.
If such statements were qualified with 'I believe' then I would probably have no concern and ignore it as one of many faith based positions found in society.
I do not assert 'there are no gods' as such a statement cannot be proven.
I expect the same honesty from theists but find myself frequently disappointed.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
From your previous post at the beginning of the thread:

"I actually agree with this, so I guess that puts the three of us in a tie for the smartest people in America?"

Oops, you better make that 4 of us! (Excluding the ones along the way of this thread!)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky

"I actually agree with this, so I guess that puts the three of us in a tie for the smartest people in America?"

Oops, you better make that 4 of us! (Excluding the ones along the way of this thread!)

The status of 'smartest' is not established as absolute fact though.
Regardless, If I shared similar views on say, parenting, as the guy in the OP would that mean I shared his IQ?
...of course not, that would be a silly argument.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Why is it funny?
Theists make assertions that there absolutely is a god, I as a non-believer ask questions.
If such statements were qualified with 'I believe' then I would probably have no concern and ignore it as one of many faith based positions found in society.
I do not assert 'there are no gods' as such a statement cannot be proven.
I expect the same honesty from theists but find myself frequently disappointed.

I don't have a problem with that, but I have seen just as many atheist absolutely positive there isn't as deist there is.
ha

Perhaps God doesn't care what we believe. hee

BTW TY for sending positive thoughts to my furry friend, she aint better though.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I was thinking, did anyone actually read the smartest guy in the worlds web site?
I am attempting to.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Agreed, I would equally question any assertions that 'there are no gods'
Unlikely, yes, lack of any evidence outside of faith based theory, yes, valid and acceptable argument, but both theist and atheist camps are unable to prove anything.
The trouble with many theists though is they struggle to see the difference between someone who doesn't believe their faith based argument and someone who states their belief is wrong. Two distinct positions.

...our furry friends are the most innocent we have, hope yours gets better, I have felt that worry myself.

edit on 1-1-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Here is a question I asked my husband when I was sick,

Honey will you pray for me?

his answer, Get real.

It made me laugh, however, say you love someone dearly and they asked you to pray for them, would you deny them?

edit on 093131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

question? why did you chose grainofsand as a name?

The questioner, who sits so sly,
Shall never know how to reply.
He who replies to words of doubt
Doth put the light of knowledge out.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Here is a question I asked my husband when I was sick,

Honey will you pray for me?

his answer, Get real.

It made me laugh, however, say you love someone dearly and they asked you to pray for them would you deny them?

When my father was close to death we chuckled about something similar as he was fully aware of my lack of belief in gods or afterlife etc.
He told me that he was looking forward to seeing me eating humble pie while begging for entry to the gates of heaven - I said he can be as smug as he likes if I'm wrong but I'll make sure I blag him a wrist-band for any decent parties in hell

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Because in the scale of humanity I think that pretty much describes each of us as we wash around our particular shorelines

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Because in the scale of humanity I think that pretty much describes each of us as we wash around our particular shorelines

When I first saw your name I thought of my favorite poem

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

I think you are very spiritual.
edit on 093131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

My mother who was devoutly Christian, always said we would be shocked who we might encounter in heaven or in hell.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The status of 'smartest' is not established as absolute fact though.
Regardless, If I shared similar views on say, parenting, as the guy in the OP would that mean I shared his IQ?
...of course not, that would be a silly argument.

Oh dear, It appears as if this thread is discussing IQ and not the theory of the existance of God.

Where oh where did we go wrong? I am sure he did not proclaim himself to be smart. I am very supportive of his theory, and that is what I meant! I could not care less how much his IQ is.

a rose by any other name will still be a rose. He is what he is. I am sure you are more concerned with what they are calling him than what he is!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Nice poem, conjures up some beautiful imagery in my mind.

As far as my spirituality goes though I don't have any particular faith at all, just romantic hopeful visions of humankind loving each other more than an invisible friend.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I am sure you are more concerned with what they are calling him than what he is!

Nope, and I'm unsure as to how you have reached such a viewpoint.
I'm interested in any and all aspects of debate which could potentially lead from "Smartest Man in America says God exists"

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I am sure you are more concerned with what they are calling him than what he is!

I'm interested in any and all aspects of debate which could potentially lead from "Smartest Man in America says God exists"

....simply because in your first reply to me your only referred to 'Smartest Man' which it appeared that you thought I was associating myself to.

I love his theory. It is what I have always believed. That God is metaphorically like the ocean, of which we are drops.

Even if they said he was the dummest person in the world I would still have agreed with him and secretively thought him to be very smart indeed.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

....simply because in your first reply to me your only referred to 'Smartest Man' which it appeared that you thought I was associating myself to.

I love his theory. It is what I have always believed. That God is metaphorically like the ocean, of which we are drops.

Even if they said he was the dummest person in the world I would still have agreed with him and secretively thought him to be very smart indeed.

Fair enough, I didn't see anything new in the guys faith based argument which I hadn't previously considered myself so instead focussed on the '4th smartest person' line in your reply. Valid enough considering the exchange of words.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join