It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Man in America says God exists

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
The circle shows us how to do that. You want divinity? Study the circle. Hours and hours. That's where you'll find your god. Because the circle is our life. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. From the stars we came...

There's no perfect circle anywhere in the universe. I suppose that's fitting considering the topic at hand.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Life itself is the language of God speaking and telling a story, and once started, he never stops talking, but instead of only telling a story about himself he also invites us to tell our own story about ourselves, and about our relationship with him or with the larger story of life within which we are immersed. It's a magnificent thing that can only have arisen by conscious thought and intentionality.

Interesting beliefs but with too many assumptions for me:
1 God being real
2 God telling a story
3 God inviting our stories
4 The magnificent thing only arising by conscious thought and intentionality.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I've read and considered your threads on the topic. Circling the square was it? I enjoyed the idea but we don't exist on a 2d plain like circles and squares.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It may have appeared that way to you, but like I said, life is made of story arising from a thought. Even many modern scientists say as much, that there's no way to understand it in any context except as story told in one language or another (as symbol).

Stop trying to attack my every post no matter you find me in the forums. Ironically I was defending you and your description, although if there's intentionality and thought, then I don't see why that would describe a circle and a principal but not a mind.

edit on 31-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

edit on 31-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

I've read and considered your threads on the topic. Circling the square was it? I enjoyed the idea but we don't exist on a 2d plain like circles and squares.

Oh no, that's just one teeny tiny piece of the mysterious puzzle of the astronomical earth-moon-sun coincidence factor, you have NO idea. Google is your friend.. !

And you obviously didn't understand the significance of the geometrical relationships involved when combined with the phenomenon of eclipse, and how cosmologically unique that is and/or "coincidental"..

The key to understanding the earth-moon-sun data is that the "strong anthropic principal" does not render the data meaningless.

edit on 31-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
97% of people in the world agrees God exists. This should be no shocker.
We just can't seem to "agree" on God's name and anthropomorphized personality.
Genius would be communicating the name of God in a way that doesn't get him killed in the name of false gods.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by twoandthree
97% of people in the world agrees God exists.

No they don't.
Where was that figure plucked from apart from simple opinion?

www.wingia.com... _21st_century/14/

in the most recent poll released by WIN/GIA, it is reveald that only only 13% of the world's population claims to be atheists.

Regionally it varies wildly according to established church doctrination and general education. For instance, In the 2011 census, 32% of my home nation Wales, UK, reported themselves as atheist, long may the rational thinking continue to rise.
edit on 31-12-2012 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I wonder... if atheists were given evidence of intelligent design, what they would do with that?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If the Christian god were proven to be real, many atheists would probably become cosmic anarchists. Not all, but many.

If only intelligent design were to be proven, some atheists would have a hayday playing with it while the rest would hide in their little dungeons because they just can't face the amount of exploration necessary to fully define such a being.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I wonder... if atheists were given evidence of intelligent design, what they would do with that?

As a non-believer I've always said I would accept such evidence if presented.
There is no evidence to date though, just faith based reasoning and unsubstantiated theory which relies heavily on predefined assumptions.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

In what way is it rational to ascribe mindlessness and meaninglessness to the universe and to life including one's own? How is it rational to think of one's self as nothing more than a "thing"? Does this viewpoint forward our understanding of our true nature and our place in the grand scheme of things and if so, how?

I find it incredibly amuzing, this notion.

edit on 31-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

On a 2d image I can see the geometric significance. But once again, we don't live in the same dimension as circles and squares.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

In what way is it rational to describe mindlessness and meaninglessness to the universe and to life including one's own? How is it rational to think of one's self as nothing more than a "thing"? Does this viewpoint forward our understanding of our place in the grand scheme of things and if so, how?

I find it incredibly amuzing, this notion.

How is it irrational?
I am aware of the body I perceive to live my life in.
I am aware it will one day cease to function either through accident/illness/old age.
I am aware of biological processes which will dispose of my carcass if I am buried.

Why do you feel the need to attach a special meaning to living your life?
We live, we die, we sometimes pass a few genes along on the way - I need no gods to make my perception of life any more vibrant and enjoyable than I already consider it to be.

Which part of that amuses you?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

It's the same kind of thing when it comes to a solar eclipse and I think it's called radius and diameter.

edit on 31-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

A rational mind always follows the evidence. What do Christians do when faced with insurmountable evidence against the existence of God? They deny it. That is what is frustrating.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

There's no perfect circle anywhere in the universe. I suppose that's fitting considering the topic at hand.

I beg to differ...

...Unless my computer, my mind, other peoples' minds, numerous works of art, and innumerable other instances of the circle concept don't exist inside the universe. Then, we have a problem. Because there's an awful lot of corners peeking out from under that universal tarp.

You should try to bend your thinking a little bit, and see things from more than one angle. How's your imagination? Pretty good shape? A little rusty? Nonexistent? Might want to work on that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Do you deny the existence of an unseen psychological/spiritual domain of reality, and what of free will that would have to be an illusion according to your worldview, just complex and simple physical and biological reaction/response mechanisms nothing more.

I find it amuzing because everything in regards to the actual qualia of our personal human experience speaks of something else whereby the notion of one's true self as as nothing but a "thing" becomes utterly absurd.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

A rational mind always follows the evidence. What do Christians do when faced with insurmountable evidence against the existence of God? They deny it. That is what is frustrating.

Which evidence is that? I'm all ears.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Do you deny the existence of an unseen psychological/spiritual domain of reality, and what of free will that would have to be an illusion according to your worldview, just complex and simple physical and biological reaction/response mechanisms nothing more.

I do not believe in the existence of an unseen psychological/spiritual domain of reality due to lack of evidence.

I find it amuzing because everything in regards to the actual qualia of our personal human experience speaks of something else whereby the notion of one's true self as as nothing but a "thing" becomes utterly absurd.

That is your belief, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm not denying circular objects, only perfect circles. I can see how pixelated that particular circle is from here. If that's your idea of perfection I would say you should raise your standards a little.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join