It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standing: Banned in Britain!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Sunderland have taped up the seats of fans who refuse to sit down during games at the Stadium of Light.

Supporters of the club who persistently stand during matches have been suspended from using their season tickets. A photo circulated on Twitter shows a seat with a note on it saying: "This season card has been suspended due to persistent standing."

The club has issued a warning on its website about people who break the law on standing during a football match, and insisted it must act to protect the safety and the view of other fans.

How embarrassing. Luckily, I don't support Sunderland. If I did I'd stop going to their matches in protest.

I know the reason for the all-seater stadiums, and why they're so much safer than standing (but could be replaced with railings with no loss of safety, but that's a whole different issue) but to actually stalk people during the games enough to gain evidence to warrant this much of a ban is just ridiculous. Those people must have had stewards staring at them for the whole game, possibly on multiple occasions and making notes and so on just to stop people enjoying themselves.

It's not like there's a standing ban - what usually happens at normal games is that everyone sits, and sort of gradually rise as something interesting happens, then jump up and down in happiness, or frustration. Then we'll stand for a few minutes until a steward comes along and says "settle down" and we all sit back down.

I've honestly never seen someone carry on standing all alone when a steward says sit down, home or away. This sounds like the prawn sandwich brigade making a fuss over nothing.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Bit of a misleading title. Was worried if I should get out of bed or not, would I have to remain in a lying or seated position all day.

Nothing more annoying than having the people stand in front if your sitting down at a football match. Still I imagine at a Sunderland game your not missing much.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think its good,

We used to go to AFL matches and if people were standing in front of you you couldnt see anything.
My guess it was the people behind them who complained and not some bored usher standing there with a timer and note pad.

Its just rude and inconsiderate to stand and block other peoples view in my opinion

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'd counter with there's nothing more annoying than not being able to stand at a match when you're worked up and frustrated. I'll agree with you though, it's hard to get excited at a Sunderland match.

There is a psychological element to standing at a match, it's not just that people want to stand, the chemicals in their brain are making them agitated and fidgety, standing helps with that.

Anyway, as I said I've never seen anyone just stand for the whole match when they get told to sit down. It usually goes in waves. Except at Wembley, nobody listens to the stewards there.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I like standing. I do it as I described in my OP, then we all get told to sit down, and we all sit down. Nobody just stands in front of somebody for an entire match, and people are very considerate of people wearing the same shirts as them for that 90 minutes.

I appreciate that you like sitting, but do you honestly not jump up at the exciting moments like the other 40,000ish fans in the stadium?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

so standing is not banned in britain - just at one football stadium ? - just checking

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I understand less the English and Australian addiction to ball sports than I do the US addiction to shooters.

I've never stood for a sport, unless it was to get out of the way of a footy.

I just don't find there any reason to get so happy about a bunch of blokes and a ball between goals. I just don't...

And with Aussie footballers and rugby players, I have very little respect for the 'men' who think they are kings of charisma because they can kick.

Mind you I shouldn't jump, they havent raped or drugged anyone in a while.

Sit down, it's hot out there.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The simple solution would be to have the standers take up the back row of the stadium ,from tallest to shortest

Standing offers fans the chance to believe that they actually helped the team win and prepares them for the train ride home also may assist in preventing DVT and flatulence
edit on 30-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I can agree with this, there is too much danger of accidents happening when people are jumping up and down and pushing each other all the time, adrenaline pumping etc, people get hurt.

Nothing wrong with rising and cheering when a goal is about to happen, or does happen.

You don't see people jumping up and down all the time at tennis or snooker matches etc (except when something exciting is happening).

EDIT: Can the OP please change the thread title to "Standing at certain football matches: Banned in Britain!!"

It does look a bit silly as it is now.

edit on 30/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
The simple solution would be to have the standers take up the back row of the stadium ,from tallest to shortest

Standing offers fans the chance to believe that they actually helped the team win and prepares them for the train ride home also may assist in preventing DVT and flatulence
edit on 30-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

People are calling for something just like that.

guardian.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Funny story, I was at a match a few years ago sitting on the stairs seat with my mate next to me. He jumped up a bit too quick and fell sideways and we both slid down the stairs because of it.

(I like the title, it reflects the comedic nature of the content of the thread.)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I think it is time they brought back standing areas i certain parts of football grounds.
Surely there is more chance of injuries when, however many thousand fans (not that i have that problem at my beloved team,ha) all jump up at the same to greet a goal?
Anyway, i am a bit bemused as to why fans wouldnt want to stand in support of there team?
edit on 30-12-2012 by scobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

and so on just to stop people enjoying themselves.

Really? This is your belief? They don't do it to uphold laws. or to help those people behind the stander enjoy their seats, or for safety reasons. They do it because they are nasty little pleasure Nazis who want to stop you from having fun.

How outrageous that someone should be sanctioned for breaking rules! What is the world coming to?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
Anyway, i am a bit bemused as to why fans wouldnt want to stand in support of there team?

This is why:

Edit, whoops, sorry, in my rush to be all passive-aggressive I misread your wouldn't as would. I apologise.

I'm leaving the video up for other people though.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

There are no hard and fast rules in terms of standing in football. In some stadiums the stewards don't seem to care, in others they are on you before you've even fully stood up.

To ban season ticket holders because they were unfortunate enough to be sat near complainers is ridiculous.

As I've repeatedly said, nobody stands for the entire match as a general rule, it happens at finals and semis and the like, but not for normal matches. Entire boxes rise and sit as one, nobody will stand on their own or with a few people because it's rude, and as I said people in the same colour shirt tend to be very considerate of each other for an hour and a half. I've yet to see anyone who couldn't sort an issue out with a simple tap on the shoulder or an "oi mate put that down for us I can't see!"

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
I understand less the English and Australian addiction to ball sports than I do the US addiction to shooters.

Well we could try and arrange for all sports to aspire to genuineness when it comes to "Injury Time".
I bet the yanks will be the first to adopt it wholeheartedly, kind of like a pok a tok of the modern ages.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

It's a bit of a bummer cos standing at matches is a massive part of the game. The downside is the way the Sunderland supporters have gone about it...according to the articles.

They've stood up and stayed up!

All good for them...not so good for fans and families paying the £££ to see a game and having to stand up or see nothing.

TBH I'm more worried about my own side getting disgraced at Loftus Road today...

ETA - ...banned for standing.

Tribal football

Fans told to 'persist off!!'
edit on 30-12-2012 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

As I keep saying, I've yet to see someone stand up without the rest of the box being stood up, especially if someone behind them can't see. I just don't believe they were stood for the full 90 minutes because if they had been the stewards would have ragged them out.

Prediction for tonight: we'll lose 3-2 from 2-0 up after 15 minutes. All their goals will come from wrongly awarded set pieces or mistakes from our back 4. We should have had 5 but we had one wrongly declared offside, one "cleared off the line" after touching the back of the net and one disallowed by the final whistle.

Do I sound bitter?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think its a good idea.

There's two types of fans, standing and sitting. Maybe the onus should be on the seating co-coordinator to seat people who want to stand in 'standing sections'?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Thing is, it says in the article that a bunch of fans left before half-time due to the standers. If that's true, then it must be a Sunderland-thing that we don't see elsewhere.

I'm not travelled enough to say either way (beyond the articles) as Anfield, Trafford, Goodison, old Dell and DW is as far as I've ever been.

I do know that some season ticket holders think they're the final word on anything!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join