It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Fighting Kingpin sentenced to 5 years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
These days it can be tough to find a story that leaves someone with a sense of satisfaction. It's even tougher to find one you might feel turned out for the best and how it needed to. In my opinion, this is just such a story.

Meet Harry Louis Hargrove.

This piece of work hails from Mount Olive, North Carolina and is 68yrs old according to his Personal Profile Page at Pet-Abuse.com. We need not worry about privacy issues on a thing like an address. He's an easy guy to find these days. Just call the North Carolina Department of Corrections and I'm sure they'll direct you to the appropriate prison.

Harry here has himself a problem. You see, he likes dogs. In fact, he likes to kill them. Now he's not your average warped personality who may go and ..say..shoot a dog. Nawww.. That's not for Harry. He's not a psychopath who tortures dogs. That doesn't fit Harry here either. No, Harry likes to fight them to death. In fact, he's not just made a living from it, he made a LIFE out of it.

When arrested they seized 33 animals from him but he was having a slow period. According to the court papers on his conviction, he's had up to TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY fighting dogs on his property at a given time. He's also been doing this for 4 decades. Lets look at a bit of what the court case had to say though. After all, Harry got his day in court...unlike the animals dying under his care for nearly 40 years.

A North Carolina man whom federal prosecutors described as a "legend" in the dog-fighting community must serve five years in prison, though probation officers recommended about a year, the 4th Circuit ruled.
By his own admission, Harry Louis Hargrove, of Duplin County, N.C., has been involved in dog-fighting activities for over four decades, according to the ruling.

Now, this next part is what I think is the best part. Who said ALL Judges are bad? I sense a fellow dog lover on this Bench!

After Hargrove pleaded guilty to violating the Animal Welfare Act, a probation officer advised incarceration of 10 to 16 months. Hargrove's attorney countered with a demand for six months, noting that military service in Vietnam left Hargrove highly decorated but also "changed."
The government meanwhile pressed for the lengthiest sentence possible, citing extraordinary cruelty to animals, extreme conduct and prior history of dog fighting.
Source

Now folks, this is a case of "Judicial Discretion" I certainly cannot fault. Not one bit. In fact, I'm only sorry the guidelines limited how HIGH it could go. I have a feeling this Judge only gave 5 years because he couldn't give 10 or 15. I believe I'll raise a glass of fine carrot juice in toast to this Judge .....and my sincere hope that 'Ol Harry isn't lonely in the joint. In fact, I really hope he meets others equally experienced with our Canine companions.

To be blunt? I really hope he gets a cellmate named Bubba and Bubba is just the big softy when it comes to four legged friends. I hope he gets the kind of Bubba who can't watch 'Ol Yeller without crying at the end. That should insure Harry is well cared for all 5 years. Indeed.

Every dog has his day, they say. Well, this particular Mutt is getting 1,825 days all for himself ...and his cellmate.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Bubba will make him his four legged friend. Hopefully he drops the soap everyday, insufferable prick.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Maybe there will be some dog lovers in prison that this guy will have to talk to on a daily bases.
This man is a monster and what true evil looks like.

People like this guy don't even get how truly ugly they are inside. I feel bad for any living thing that has to deal with this man.

Hopefully he comes to terms with just how stained his soul is.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Only 5 years!?! What don't get is how animal abuse cases vary so wildly from Case to case. Like for dog fighting you hear some people get months or so and some get decaceds for the same level of crime. Same with murder in the justice system. 3 years for some life for other and the crimes were carried out in identical fashion.

Something things I will never understand about modern humans. Props to the judge for Atleast giving him time in a cell so many animal abuse suspects get nothing more than slaps on the wrists.

Granted im not very sensitive to animal death but needlessly pitting creatures against each other in hopes that they kill one another is sicking.

Pit two guys together convicted of animal fighting gladiator style... I'll pay good money to see that.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Maybe the whims of fate will have both a sense of justice AND a sense of humor when his time someday comes. There is a belief among some pet owners. It's a very strong and deeply held belief, at least among some. That belief has to do with where our best friends and companions go when they pass from this world. This is where many believe that place lies, across here:

Now, about that sense of humor Fate would be welcome to have in this case..... I've lost a few precious and dear friends in my lifetime. Loyal companions I know I will see again. You know? I think they ought to have something to occupy their time, waiting for me to catch up to them and scratch their ears, don't you? So how about we just imagine Harry being dropped right in the middle of that bridge ...with all the occupants of that special place well aware of just who and what he was before joining them in their world as a chew toy.

Woof!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

the sentence is much to soft. if i were the judge id kill the pathetic peice of S

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Maybe the whims of fate will have both a sense of justice AND a sense of humor when his time someday comes. There is a belief among some pet owners. It's a very strong and deeply held belief, at least among some. That belief has to do with where our best friends and companions go when they pass from this world. This is where many believe that place lies, across here:

Now, about that sense of humor Fate would be welcome to have in this case..... I've lost a few precious and dear friends in my lifetime. Loyal companions I know I will see again. You know? I think they ought to have something to occupy their time, waiting for me to catch up to them and scratch their ears, don't you? So how about we just imagine Harry being dropped right in the middle of that bridge ...with all the occupants of that special place well aware of just who and what he was before joining them in their world as a chew toy.

Woof!

Well people always question if animals have souls........THEY DO

When I look into my Beagle/Border Collie mixes eyes as he is sucking on his blanket I know he has a soul. When we are playing and I say ouch he calms down and is gentle. When I give him a new bone he is bursting with happiness.

My elderly female Bichon is at peace as long as her tummy is full and she is next to me. At times they drive me nuts but they are worth it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more. I know many absolutely rebel at and refuse the mere suggestion that dogs have Souls but I know they do. Just as you. It's not something that can be proven or documented or photographed of course. It's just something you know, isn't it? No one needs to be told another Human has a Soul...and if one knows how to look with sensitive eyes, I believe we can see a part of that in the eyes of others. That is what I believe I see in my dogs and the companions that have joined me for parts of my life.

It's that oddest thing, talking about this but when my wife and I were both driving a truck we had a small dog we named Goober. Looked just like the Taco Bell dog. A couple years went by, we separated for a couple more which is a whole different story ...but during that period, the person she'd spent time with killed Goober and it was deliberate.

Goober had very distinct and unusual markings. A light patch of fur at each shoulder of each front leg. Almost like a place for Angels wings. In fact, you'd be surprised how many people made that comment on first seeing Goober.

Well, to cut to the end here, we got back together many years ago and got another puppy. This one a tan lab. Same general color..but much larger and just as loving. Well...within 6 months of getting Lady, she developed light patches of fur in precisely the same spots as Goober had them. Nowhere else and Goober didn't have variations anywhere else either. I know, logically, what that might suggest just isn't possible....but sometimes, Lady looks me in the eye..and I swear..just for a moment.. ya know?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Nope, no satisfaction here.
For satisfaction I would need this piece of work in a pit with as many dogs as he has been responsible for murdering, he would also need a meat and gravy bodysuit.
Prison is better than free for this animal though, maybe he'll get shanked.
But I doubt it.
Doggies are better than us, they prove it everyday.
Especially mine!

(Edit)
I forgot about the military service...
If we will use this line of thinking guide our judgements, we might as well give pedo's , bankers, and politicians a free one as well.
This guy is faulty from the factory and should be returned at the soonest opportunity.
edit on 30-12-2012 by g146541 because: faulty

(Edit)
Sorry for the extreme amount of hate in this post, Doggies are my soft spot, truly I would END someone I caught doing something such as this.
My two best buddies to the left there, just a little less important than my Hunney.(wife)
edit on 30-12-2012 by g146541 because: they show unconditional love

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

While i dont condone cruelty to animals in no way i feel the sentence was a bit harsh.

1st reason is if has been doing this for over 4 decades then indeed he started shortly after leaving war and the inrush of people looking for employment warranted creative ways to make an income.

2nd reason is in north Carolina dog fighting wasn't made illegal until 1976 years after this person started his rather distasteful career.

3rd reason is this person fought dogs illegally for 36 years and no one knew until his recent arrest. Law enforcement and politicians from the area had to have turned a blind eye to this activity many times. thus leading to the misconception it wasn't an enforced law similar to the right to beat your wife on the court house steps in some counties in NC.

4th reason coming home from the war the soldiers were treated like filth. The american people should be happy he didn't slaughter people instead of dogs.

5th reason is where do you draw the line of animal cruelty? Raising a dog to be a servant to his master is not cruel? Killing and eating millions of animals every year is not far more sinister than a few thousand dogs? Americas number 1 favorite food is the hamburger have you ever seen the way the slaughter houses slaughter these animals?

If someone needs to be made example of it surely is not a man that served his country and was blindsided one day when someone decided to start enforcing a law that's been on the books for many years.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Nope, no satisfaction here.
For satisfaction I would need this piece of work in a pit with as many dogs as he has been responsible for murdering, he would also need a meat and gravy bodysuit.
Prison is better than free for this animal though, maybe he'll get shanked.
But I doubt it.
Doggies are better than us, they prove it everyday.
Especially mine!

(Edit)
I forgot about the military service...
If we will use this line of thinking guide our judgements, we might as well give pedo's , bankers, and politicians a free one as well.
This guy is faulty from the factory and should be returned at the soonest opportunity.
edit on 30-12-2012 by g146541 because: faulty

(Edit)
Sorry for the extreme amount of hate in this post, Doggies are my soft spot, truly I would END someone I caught doing something such as this.
My two best buddies to the left there, just a little less important than my Hunney.(wife)
edit on 30-12-2012 by g146541 because: they show unconditional love

couldnt agree more. its good he is rotting in jail yes. but this arsehole deserves to be KILLED. dogs have been at mans side for a VERY long time. we influence them they influence us. my lady has a beagle mutt her name is sadie. she is such a sweet dog. she has moods. gets embarassed. has dreams.....but no no no no they dont have souls. yea ok dude get over it. humans are special. dont forget dog spelled backward is god.........

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

I have to say, his being a Vet was his defense attorney's ploy and excuse. What else could he well say? You're right in saying the locals must have known. A guy doesn't run something as large as a 250 animal fighting compound and NOT be known over so long a period by the local Sheriff and officials. However, the fact there are even more corrupt people than he is, likely, in that area doesn't excuse his own bad BAD actions.

As far as the other one... I hope no Vietnam Vets take offense to this. My father was a VV and I've got a Silver in his Shadow Box on the wall among other things. Respect and Honor toward the military is a given and a part of life in my house as it was in the home I grew up in.

Having said that, I'm about through with being polite toward Vietnam Vets who use that as a quick card to pull and make a ready excuse for damn near anything. No... Service for this country does NOT make criminal action ...especially a lifetime of it... acceptable or excusable in any way, IMO. Given what kind of man he became and the cruelty to animals inherent in raising fighting dogs (You might notice the part about Jumper Cables to electrocute the dogs in training ...being part of what they took out of his compound) I actually wonder what kind of Soldier he was anyway? I don't suppose he was around My Lai or anything? I mean really... His conduct makes him a real scumbag of the first order. Prior service in my mind is irrelevant.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I couldn't agree more with you....and your solution made me smile, although it was kinda nasty in itself..
I don't agree with any kind of capital punishment though...he should be made to stay here and suffer for as long as possible, and granting him any kind of release would be wrong to me.

We were reading this and we both thought, my other half and I, that 40 years of animal torture should mean 40 years jail time with no privileges at all. 5 years is nothing, and he still could get out at the age of 73 and start it all again. There need to be as big a message sent as possible that this mindset of animal torture and abuse being acceptable has to end.

And your babies in your avatar pic are just beautiful..I've been admiring them for ages. Give them kisses from us please.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I do know what you are saying.

We had a rescue min-pin he was 6 when we got him and we were his last chance at a home. He was very scared of almost everything. Thankfully with love and kindness he came around and I loved him so much.

Sadly one day he had a stroke and could not walk at all we had to put him to sleep. I cried so hard it hurt. Mind you I am a not what you would call a cry baby. After a few months I could swear I could catch a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye. Maybe it is all in my head? I really miss him. He was so kind and you could tell he was glad to finally find a home he could call his own.

Thankfully the little time he had with us he could finally be free and be himself. God I miss him.

edit on 30-12-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
ahhh man im such a sucker for these mutts! good to see other people love em as much as i do! i honestly think they should be held in my higher regaurd that society places them. mabey i sound to much like a hippie but whatever they help us out alot. in ways we dont even know!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Sub, after a long day of reading death, destruction, body counts and how they all got to be bodies to be counted in the first place .... It's a note like yours that makes my eyes a little more moist than they were a moment ago. Funny how that dust comes up in the air ..even inside, huh? It's heart warming to hear how the little guy had some peace and time where he knew he fit in and had a place he didn't have to be scared. Good for you in being the one to do that, too.

Rainbow Bridge...We'll see them again.
I do believe that.

edit on 30-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx
ahhh man im such a sucker for these mutts! good to see other people love em as much as i do! i honestly think they should be held in my higher regaurd that society places them. mabey i sound to much like a hippie but whatever they help us out alot. in ways we dont even know!

I am a conservative and I love and respect all life. Just because you feel a certain way don't let society box you into what category society feels you should fit into.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

oh no i just joke bout the hippie thing. i have my own views on everything never let anything change my mind cept expierence though life man. i have patches and stunds and wear leather and stuff like that but i have drastic views from other people of my "tribe" so to speak. animals are the one exception. i eat meat but hell thats life we were ment to eat it!

new topics

top topics

join