It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep guards out of our schools?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Exactly how i went to school and no one ever ended up riddled with bullet holes.
A nutjob would think twice knowing that there are armed guards waiting on the call.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

While you guys were searched everyday I walked around with knives And tools on school and no body ever shot up my school. How come these schools require these things and not mine.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You have so much faith that these actions will stop crazy people. Can I borrow your crystal ball? What people don't get if they can't do damage with a gun they will find another weapon. Can't get at a school? Try a skating rink... Don't like skating, blow up a chucke cheese... People will kill each other no matter what how much money are you willing to spend for a false sense of security?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by 727Sky

Few are taking their gun to school unless it is a group effort as you described. No one person alone will carry in a school because of the fear of gun free zone laws or someone finding out they have a gun in schools. What scares me is a shooter comes in and the teacher shoots back and starts hitting the innocent kids or bystanders. Look at our police departments accuracy when they have to shoot a suspect. In new York cops shot something like 9 citizens shooting at a suspect. The thing is only highly trained people will ever handle an active shooter situation with out a lot of collateral damage. You can train anyone to hit a target if you have all the time in the world. But only vets and very few cops know what it's like to actively engage a target. Everyone else will probably freeze up or miss wildly. How do we handle this. "teacher shoots and kills 2 students while firing back at a shooter" the law suit alone will ruin the states schools for years. Look at Newtown those schools will never see a new book for decades after the parents take every single penny from CT education budget to pay the hundreds of millions in claims.

I understand what you are saying and there are many good points you bring up..I posted this in another thread..

THESE ARE THE 4 RULES; THEY WORK EVERY TIME
1 Treat all guns as if they are loaded. People are shot with supposedly unload guns?
2 Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy, hit or kill. refer to rule one
3 Keep your finger straight and off the trigger. Never put you finger on the trigger until ready to shoot.
4 Be absolutely sure of your target, and what is behind it. Cops in N.Y. who shot many bystanders need a refresher course on rule 4.
I will add a #5 thought: Dead is a forever deal. Once a bullet leaves the muzzle, you can't bring it back even though there is usually a lawyer attached to it.

Look at our police departments accuracy when they have to shoot a suspect. In new York cops shot something like 9 citizens shooting at a suspect.
Refer to rule 4...Also to be honest with you many people who have a CHL shoot much more than any N.Y. LEO with the possible exception of their SWAT team and even then I have my doubts. One of my neighborhood cops shoots one a year for qualification and practices a couple of days before the qual....And the ammo is free..I am sure you will agree not everyone takes a job or responsibility as serious as they should.

I would give the volunteers an ammo allowance and have them shoot for a minimum scored target which is reviewed by a licensed firearm instructor every 4 months. Many would do it free, for their live means something to them too.

Again you made some good points and I am the first to agree there are no easy answers. My answer is usually let the volunteers handle something and keep the bureaucracy out of it. But I have worked for the government before (NSA military etc) and have had many friends who still do so my opinion might be jaded....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

When Obama and the other liberals saying guards in schools is ludicrous work on firing the guards that protect their children I will start listening to them.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Only kids that have rich parents should have armed guards at elite private schools.

Middle class and the poor do not deserve this protection.

I would go on, but I'm all out a sarcasm for the day.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I get lost at times when I read these posts. Just so that I am clear:

Schools should NOT have people ARMED on campus. When something horrible happens, ARMED men should be called from another location?

Does this really make sense to people?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Dear OP,

I can understand and share your concerns and fears.

It is no good psychologically that innocent young children be exposed to guns, and be told that they are there for their protection, creating the mentality at a young age that our world is not the fairy taled stories and santa claus, great uplifting tales of good overcoming evil and the easier impartation of moral values that they had been led to believe in.

What will they become when they grow up with the fear of a psycho killer out there in real, on every corner, in the closet and even under their bed?

Can they at this young age cope with such realities, handle it maturedly and not grow up psycho themselves?

Perhaps, it is EDUCATION OF OUR YOUNG on the kind of moral values stories used have to evolve beyond the 18th century tales of fairies, gnomes, santa, etc - tales we grow up with, to change using more realistic metaphors to impart moral valules, to prepare their young minds to realities of an evolved world.

Violently insane humans DO exist in our world, not dragons or monsters. But we need not fear them, for mankind do have protection against them - guns, not swords, / CCTV monitors, not fairies / and most important of all - Science advancement to identify, help and prevent their harmful actions against humanity.

Make no mistakes, even armed guards will not be a solution to prevent tragedies in the face of a determined mad genius. Armed guards and CONCEALED weapons carried by teachers/staff are but a detterence. to close up the odds, making the mad genius dependent on luck, a chance, to strike it lucky with a big hit.

Mankind's ideal is for an Utopia, but we have not reach it yet. Thus, vigilance and pragmatism must rule to ensure our innocent young generations are protected. They were attacked, thanks to the UNCONSCIONABLE anti-gun lobbyists, for making schools stupidly 'guns free zones' whereby only the law abidding follows, but not the criminals and the insane whom obeys no laws.

It is 2013 today. 1950, with its smaller population and lower requirements, is over. With population growth and discoveries made in science, tech, resources and capabilities, it is high time we move with the times and evolve, including the education of values in your young, to prepare them for the future that they will inherit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join