It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep guards out of our schools?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ok here me out. Do we really want to show our kids that the world is so dangerous that there must be a cop around so you are not killed? Is that really the reaction we want our kids to have to deal with? I'm all for keeping a closer eye but armed guards inside the school? I wouldn't mind the police sending more cops to patrol around cops so that there is a police office just around the block. And instead we try to handle the social issues and mental health of our nation. When I was in school it was not uncommon for weapons to find their way to school grounds because of hunters and that was the norm in northwest Ohio. And of the 3 murders I know of none involved guns so I know it's not a gun issue. I just feel that putting guards in schools is sending the wrong message. Can we insure our youth will not be negatively affected by a cop looking over their shoulder everyday. To be honest the only reason most of us from where Im from made it through school was because of all the freedom we had in school compared to others. We could come and go as we please and had open lunches in high school. Now if we were on lock down 24/7 most of us would have dropped out. It's like prison these days. Schools have barbed wire and pat downs now.

Sure Adam was a loon but if we implemented all these guards would it have stopped him from lighting up those kids from the OUTSIDE of the school. How hard is it to drive by a school and mow down hundreds of kids as they are orderly lined up waiting to pass through a metal detector? How fast does it take someone to change a 10 round magazine 1-2 seconds if that and that's if the person decides to not get an easiely accessible high cap mag regardless of any ban.

So ask your self is putting the boot down on our youths neck the right answer to say we are preventing something that is in preventable. No matter what we do I am sad to say that another school shooting will occur and the next shooters might start with the guards since a 40 year old guy wondering the hall of an elementary won't be immediately pointed out as the guard and handled accordingly.

Do we want to force saftey on our kids or do everything we can to let saftey come to them through community social and mental awareness.

Food for thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Schools let their CHL teachers carry on the school premises. The students do not know who is armed because Concealed Hand Gun means exactly that CONCEALED the children are not subjected to the big bad guns yet they are protected...... Several threads about where and who are doing this already.Texas at a few locations and Utah with many more adopted this several years ago.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
First of all, we should stop sugar-coating the world so much. It is a dangerous place, and yet most Americans live in a state of disbelief because they have been given a fake safety blanket their entire life. They complain about gay rights, but don't give a crap about the slave labor that goes into stuff Made in China.
Secondly, many private schools have armed guards, and the kids are fine with them. You learn to trust the guard. There was a police officer who would hang around my school growing up. I didn't think anything of it. It made us feel safer.
Either way, it doesn't matter. Those in charge don't care about kids. Just look up how many children the government has killed overseas. They just want the guns. That's all this is about, and that's what's so sickening about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

I personally think it is a horrible idea. Wont be long before they are putting tsa in as well. Do we really want them to have this kind of control? It wont take long until you start hearing about kids being shot bc the officer thought the cell phone was a gun

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Few are taking their gun to school unless it is a group effort as you described. No one person alone will carry in a school because of the fear of gun free zone laws or someone finding out they have a gun in schools. What scares me is a shooter comes in and the teacher shoots back and starts hitting the innocent kids or bystanders. Look at our police departments accuracy when they have to shoot a suspect. In new York cops shot something like 9 citizens shooting at a suspect. The thing is only highly trained people will ever handle an active shooter situation with out a lot of collateral damage. You can train anyone to hit a target if you have all the time in the world. But only vets and very few cops know what it's like to actively engage a target. Everyone else will probably freeze up or miss wildly. How do we handle this. "teacher shoots and kills 2 students while firing back at a shooter" the law suit alone will ruin the states schools for years. Look at Newtown those schools will never see a new book for decades after the parents take every single penny from CT education budget to pay the hundreds of millions in claims.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
But the world IS dangerous. What is good about pretending it isn't? The fact is, "Gun Free Zones" don't work, as has been amply illustrated as every major shooting event, from Columbine to Virginia tech to an average mall has been done in a Gun Free Zone.

Sure, you can always play a "what if" story showing how someone could still inflict damage even though an armed guard was present. I have no doubt of that, but a little known fact in the Clackamas mall shooting in Oregon was that the shooter was confronted by a citizen with a concealed weapon, ran from the man, and killed himself. I think three people, including the shooter, died, and that's terrible. But the fact is that a responsible person with a weapon of his own stopped what could have been a much more deadly rampage.

Of course, you don't see the MSM pointing out this fact. Someone might get the wrong idea that a citizen with a concealed carry permit might actually be useful instead of a menace to society.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnnKoontz

Im not sugar coating anything the world sucks. But I won't be a scared bitch like so many in this country. Pull a gun on me and I won't flitch I will stare you in the eyes to remember your face so I can find you in hell. I accept that a plane could crash into me at any moment and the reason I'm alive is to leave the earth better than I found it.

We our punishing our kids for the actions of the tiny few. Metal detectors and mandatory searchs and cuttong their education budget for guards is punishment.

With all these people having so much faith in their religion people are running from death like they know they are on a way one track to hell.

edit on 29-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The world can be a dangerous place but school shootings are very rare. To place armed guards inside schools to prevent school shootings is a bit much and a waste of money. They don't happen enough to warrant placing armed guards in schools. People are scared I get that but its overkill. Teachers carrying is even a bit over the top but I can go with that as it would not cost schools extra.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnnKoontz
First of all, we should stop sugar-coating the world so much. It is a dangerous place, and yet most Americans live in a state of disbelief because they have been given a fake safety blanket their entire life. They complain about gay rights, but don't give a crap about the slave labor that goes into stuff Made in China.

I don't think I can ever properly convey in a forum post how painful it is ..deep down..to see this written about my nation and know if I'm honest with myself ....I can't argue it because it's accurate. Not true....because I see that difference in being a universal attitude among our people, which it wouldn't be if they even heard about half the things through Survivor episodes, drama about Obama, and the next American Idol.

Secondly, many private schools have armed guards, and the kids are fine with them. You learn to trust the guard. There was a police officer who would hang around my school growing up. I didn't think anything of it. It made us feel safer.

You make a fair point here...but so does the OP. I actually don't see that position as contradictory either. The reason is simple, Private Schools are private because they have to work to attract and retain PAYING students. If they don't find a logical balance between Safety and armed camp, parents will wave bye bye and let them go bankrupt and rot. Public Schools don't even need to care about 'balances' to find outside of media reaction. If they go overboard? Nothing changes in their world except the kids learn to live in a CONSTANT state of fear.

It's real hard to put into words here too. I saw the school I went to as a teen, visiting the area a few years ago in Villa Park, Ca. It was an open and inviting campus as much as public schools ever are ..and a great place to play and pass time after school. Now? friggen barbed wire on all four sides and dividing areas within .....Cameras on the corner of EVERY building with consent to search for cause just implied by simply being there. The experience of going through Court House security stations must be something. Poor kids will never know the America the rest of us grew up in..and that's heartbreaking. What's worse? Our leaders AND media work hard to not remind anyone that nation even existed.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
Ok here me out. Do we really want to show our kids that the world is so dangerous that there must be a cop around so you are not killed? Is that really the reaction we want our kids to have to deal with?

So its either they see an armed guard or a cop around, or they see a mass shooting right before their eyes.

Are you saying that the sight of armed guards is WORST than the possibility of another school shooting?

SIGH. I cannot BELIEVE what I am reading in this thread.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I know of the CCW man from the mall shooting and that was great. It shows that the only thing that stops a gun is a another gun. Now if there are these people on the school how come no one has asked to see what kind of shot they are or if they have any training other than bare minimum. A school is LOADED with bodies and any stray shots can be fatal and that's what people don't get. That it's possible that having guns in the school do more damage in a shooter situation than good especially if more than one teacher / guard is armed.

Cops will say "every situation I enter involves a gun, it's on my hip". That gun can be used to good with a steady aim and a straight shot. Or bad get taken and then used or the guard shoots and misses".

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

Ok so you would agree to have a guard follow your kid around? I would rather let my kid be a kid and let them see the butterflies up close even if the big bad wolf could pop out from behind the flower. All I know is this is not what the founding father would have wanted and not the America I grew up in.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The good ol' USA is under siege from it's self.
Time to step up a notch from the 18th century and make some real change.
Armed guards at schools, train stations and shopping malls etc. is not freedom, it's something else.
The answer is'nt even more guns, how dumb.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hellooo... they already have armed police officers in high schools. Some schools have metal detectors at the school entrances. Exterior doors are locked all day and you have to buzz into the office to gain entrance. They also have locker searches, drug sniffing dogs and hallway surveillance cameras. A few schools have teachers behind bullet proof glass....and this is all to protect students and teachers from criminal minded students!

So I really don't think armed guards are going to be a shock to students. We're not living back in the 70's people. Welcome to the 21st century high school.

edit on 29-12-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

What will the 22nd century schools be. Kids are taken to school in prison trucks and then stripped searched and cuffed to the desks? Sounds like we are headed for some peaceful times.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

The question to ask is, does this benefit Big Government and add another plank into the slippery slope of a police state. I think the answer is yes.

We already have security molesting and detaining free people at airports, bus stations and other places.
When will you say is enough and when will they have gone to far?

Benjamin Franklin
Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfalTo place armed guards inside schools to prevent school shootings is a bit much and a waste of money. They don't happen enough to warrant placing armed guards in schools.

But even if it saves one child from a maniac, is that not money well spent?

How much is one child worth?

We've established it's less than the cost of someones precious weapon.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
No the plan is to have armed guards everywhere.

Its called marshall law. THE plan is to have us begging for it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnnKoontz

Either way, it doesn't matter. Those in charge don't care about kids. Just look up how many children the government has killed overseas. They just want the guns. That's all this is about, and that's what's so sickening about it.

That about sums it up.
Once they have security everywhere, the "liberal media mouthpiece" and I use that sparingly since it would be coming from the biploar government, would say, why do we need guns if we have security stationed everywhere?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

What will the 22nd century schools be. Kids are taken to school in prison trucks and then stripped searched and cuffed to the desks? Sounds like we are headed for some peaceful times.
reply to post by marbles87

It does seem like we're headed in that direction. Unless technology makes a huge leap and schools will no longer exist. Maybe in the 22nd century, children will just have to put on a helmet and information will be downloaded into their brains.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join