It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube cancels billions of video views after finding they had been 'faked' - but were hackers wor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

YouTube cancels billions of video views after finding they had been 'faked' - but were hackers working for the music industry?

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2254181/YouTube-wipes-billions-video-views-finding-faked-music-industry.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/ url]

The world's biggest recording companies have been stripped of two billion YouTube hits after the website cracked down on alleged 'fake viewers'.

Universal, home of Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber, lost a total of one billion views in the video site’s biggest ever crackdown on artificially inflated figures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hello, I hope I posted this in the right place. I searched to see if this had already been posted but couldn't find anything.

According to the daily mail some of the biggest recording companies have been getting 'fake' views. I find it funny that not only one large company has been found out doing this but others too.

I wonder if this will ever get brought up again or if it will just get swept under the carpet as if nothings happened?

If anyone has more info about this then I would love to see it. I also would love to see what you guys think about it!

E.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2254181/YouTube-wipes-billions-video-views-finding-faked-music-industry.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
They'd need to fake views for that crap

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I KNEW nobody in their right mind could enjoy that garbage to that extent! Good find!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Good point!
I guess they have to make money some way lmao

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is how the industry "creates" superstars.

They use their own self-serving means to "tell us" how "popular" their money-makers are... and most of the pliable public latch on.... It's a technique the establishment uses to "manufacture consent" (hint hint.)

The next "illusion" to the chopping block will be "polls" and "elections."

Can't wait!

Great find!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Excellent find.

Can't say I'm surprised though. People can't be THAT void of culture and taste.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If you are shocked by this...you must be one of those people who actually believes everything they see on the internet ..jokes!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ephio

Edited - I'm not surprised by this either. Just checked my own account on youtube (artist as well, tho no where near Rhianna status). I was tickled pink that one of my videos hit nearly 60,000 views. I wonder how many other artists have faked their views.
edit on 29-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm a youtuber and run a channel, this is actually pretty common. Also it didn't say that youtube found the companies to have created the views, they just stated that they had fake views on the channel. There are bots that some people will use increase the hits on their videos. There are other bots that literally roam youtube and will randomly add an extra 30-40k in views over the period of a few hours to any specific video. These companies may not be liable for boosting the views because anybody can do it to any video.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
I'm a youtuber and run a channel, this is actually pretty common. Also it didn't say that youtube found the companies to have created the views, they just stated that they had fake views on the channel. There are bots that some people will use increase the hits on their videos. There are other bots that literally roam youtube and will randomly add an extra 30-40k in views over the period of a few hours to any specific video. These companies may not be liable for boosting the views because anybody can do it to any video.

I don't know anything about these bots.

But i have a question, why would someone go out their way to give these companies more views on their videos?

Also these bots that randomly roam youtube, could you give me more info about them please? I just like to know what I'm reading
(I did google them but I couldn't find anything about them)
edit on 29-12-2012 by Ephio because: Forgot to add something

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here is another source for anyone interested!

Link

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
What counts as a fake view though? When google for example crawls through the page with said video does that count as a view? If so is this fake? Is it intentionally fake or accidentally fake?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottlpool2003
What counts as a fake view though? When google for example crawls through the page with said video does that count as a view? If so is this fake? Is it intentionally fake or accidentally fake?

I assume when google crawls through youtube it would be fine and maybe it does or doesnt count, im not sure. Youtube is owned by google as far as i know. But i doubt that google would give thousands of views to one video when crawling through the site, because they would be ruining youtube and youtube belongs to them.
Good questions!
edit on 29-12-2012 by Ephio because: typo

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I believe its merely possible to click on the target video, and have it come up on the screen
then hit the back arrow, and reclik to make two fakes....it shouldnt be hard to collect a lot of views all by yourself even....i doubt you have to watch it even....
If you had a bot doing it well it would really add up.
Everything we get from the media (all media) is tainted with these propaganda techniques....)
Its just the same thing as PSYWAR doctrine....similar methods and tactics.....
They call it "SALES"
If you cant lie, dont apply......

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I hope no one misunderstood my post as an indictment of YouTube or Google. Anyone with common sense knows that any data is rendered pointless by deliberately inserting bad data.

But we've known for many years of the existence of "reputation companies" and "water armies" whose very existence is to create an "appearance" on the internet which can then be leveraged to one purpose or another. At first they were legitimized by those who had been deliberately slighted publicly and wanted to clear their image-identity from any taint.

There is very little difference though, between that (off-setting bad "reviews" for example, by entering "good" reviews,) and simply flooding whatever you want "perceived" into the public's view; like pretending your video has a million hits more than the sixty three it really got.

There are bots that have been doing this since the inception of the "market" on the internet. It was the reason the purists... which most considered too hippiesque to take seriously, lamented the inclusion of anything 'commercial' on the web... where there is commerce there is potential corruption...

YouTube and Google both have a stake in conveying accurate data. These other "companies" have a stake in "changing that data." Yes... it's used in politics (especially well since the customers are media themselves), it's used in public service announcements, it's used every time a pollster opens his or her mouth.

Solution? Well, we could trust that no one will be "evil" and create an alternative metric stream... leaving a "public view tally of views" for the non-paying visitors, and offering up a different "version" for those willing to pay.

Google did create the "Don't be Evil" meme in marketing didn't it? .... ahem .... yeah.
edit on 29-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I thought it was beiber just watching his videos over and over again .

seriously I cannot stand top 40 music and radio . Pop singers like you mentioned just want to sell records and to be famous . Most can't play an instrument most cannot write their own songs . The companies know how to package and market these singers for maximum yield . Mind you if the new rage was kids listening to some dude breaking wind in a musical form they would sell that too .

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It is the same reason why these people hire publicists . They crave attention . How many extremely famous people are there that we never hear about . Then we have the tmz sluts as I call them . Always on the front page of some tabloid at the bar or where ever .. I don't care if beiber sell a billion records I will still never feel the urge to buy a cd .

Image people it's all about image sadly this is what society is based on .

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Rhianna Views: 12 (Actual)
Buddy Holly views: 2,846,135 (Actual)
Rock & Roll will always be...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Good job on YouTube's part. Those "entertainers" need to be on less of a pedestal anyway with peddling brainwashing garbage. Maybe there's hope overall in rescue of those assimilated by it in the vast net where you can explore any type of creativity. "Record company" corruption never ceased just moved on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join