It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skywriters "Pi in the Sky" work now being described online as showing "UFO" writing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by IsaacKoi

That doesn't make this the appropriate forum.

My opinion differs from yours. My personal opinion is that it is highly desirable for people to post any explanations they find for "UFO" videos that appear online,

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this! this is why i loved this place!

Any confirmation on what this actually is? Is it advertising?
If so, how are they doing it?!

I'll keep watching

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I can 100% confirm that these ARE airplanes. They did this in my area as well and it is very hard to see the planes because they're VERY small 1-seaters. And they make no noise whatsoever, so some are using this as an excuse to say "UFO THIS," and, "UFO THAT."

I actually have a great video and photos that clearly show they're planes. I've never posted pics or vids here before, but I'll look for them and when I do I'll see if I can post a few closeups.

I agree, it really bothers me when people say they're UFO's or chemtrails and then when you try to show them they're planes, they just don't believe it no matter what. If gives the UFOs and chemtrail community bad names.

Anyways, I'll try to find and post what I have so all can clearly see.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrConspiracy
Any confirmation on what this actually is? Is it advertising?
If so, how are they doing it?!

The OP includes a few links to information, but in short it was an "ephemeral installation" (or, in short, a type of art project):

www.facebook.com...

About
The largest ephemeral installation ever created is scheduled to appear September 12th as part of the 2012 ZERO1 Biennial.

Mission
ISHKY's mission is to flirt with provocation and inspire spontaneous awe.

ISHKY's "Pi In The Sky" explores the boundaries of scale, public space, permanence, and the relationship between Earth and the physical universe. The project uses existing "dot-matrix" skywriting technology to print quarter-mile tall numbers at 10,000 feet altitude. The fleeting and perpetually incomplete vision of Pi's never-ending random string unwinding in the sky will create a gentle provocation to the Bay Area's seven million inhabitants. "Pi In the Sky" will also be the largest physical expression of Pi ever created.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
I actually have a great video and photos that clearly show they're planes. I've never posted pics or vids here before, but I'll look for them and when I do I'll see if I can post a few closeups.

I look forward to seeing them.

gives the UFOs and chemtrail community bad names.

That's my reason for posting this type of thread here. There's so much nonsense posted about UFOs sometimes I feel compelled to post...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
That is so unbelievably cool... I wish I could have seen it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
maybe theyre just promoting the life of pi. But still its awesome to look at

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Seems strange that they would do this over a major city and not tell anyone until afterwards, are they trying to scare the # out of everyone? Art? It seems pretty pointless, I doubt it has anything to do with aliens or ufo's but the story behind it... I don't know.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konduit
Seems strange that they would do this over a major city and not tell anyone until afterwards,

But it looks like they DID tell people about it before doing it.

One of the webpages I mentioned in the OP includes the following:

www.zero1biennial.org...

The mass ephemeral intervention is scheduled to appear, as weather permits, sometime between Sept 12 and 16.

Look UP!

Pi In The Sky will appear above the ZERO 1 Garage at approximately 11:45AM and then again at 1:30PM on September 12th weather permitting. Have cameras ready and send photos and impressions to:

Email them to: [email protected].
Tweet them to: @ISHKYStudios with the hashtag #piinthesky, #pi.
Post them on our Facebook page.
Tag them in your Instagram feed: #piinthesky, #pi

Anyway, some other artists create UFO/crop-circle hoaxes without giving any notice in advance (or, indeed, any explanation afterwards) because they do want to mystify people - the confusion and emotional reaction is part of the work of art.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Not saying its ufos etc,

But take a look again and you explain to me how a plane no matter how small can make a number in the sky so accurate- in line- and also how the numbers are made they form from the right side then develop into a number... How is that possible..

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
im sure this has been discussed here before i think there was

or a bad case of D-J-V

which i do get now and then
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30/12/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I remember when I was young "sky-writing" advertisements, or even messages like " (Insert Name) will you marry me?" was nearly an everyday occourance for a number of the summers we'd spend almost 5 days a week at Jones Beach on L.I. NY. I was like 8 years old, so this was 20-25 years ago, and yea it looked just like this.

I guess younger people weren't around when "sky-writing" was popular and extremely common, so seeing "sky-writing" is strange for them? But still I don't understand how someone seeing this with their eyeballs even for the first time wouldn't realize that it's clearly 5 planes in formation doing that.

Pretty cool though the amount of numbers they did, and the size of the project.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The cut Symbols in thick cloud cover too. And form this with cloud shape. Both are done.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Lol, I love their characterization of my neck of the woods.

No, their coffee wasn't spiked with hallucinogens.

Coffee and drugs. That's how the world sees us. (With some justification.)

I'm glad you found a source for this before it took on a life of its own. Peace.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by lukeUK
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Not saying its ufos etc,

But take a look again and you explain to me how a plane no matter how small can make a number in the sky so accurate- in line- and also how the numbers are made they form from the right side then develop into a number... How is that possible..

Watch the second video. It clearly shows conventional aircraft leaving the "dots" that form the numbers. The article explains how this is possible. They are using "dot-matrix skywriting technology," a description of which can be found on Wikipedia. It's also known as "Digital Skywriting."

Also known as dot matrix skywriting and skytyping, digital skywriting is the process of using 5 planes in formation and advanced computing to choreography puffs of smoke being released from each plane. When viewed from below messages can be seen very clearly being written in the sky by the squadron of skywriters. These digitally sky-written messages written at 10,000 ft can be up to 1250 ft tall and over 5 miles long. Digital skywriting allows planes to put any message into the sky in any colour without having to do advanced and acrobatic flying manoeuvres.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12/30/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Who did they say funded 5 planes flying in formation to write "Pi" in the sky for however long it lasted?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

From the article quoted in the first post:

California artist Ishky collaborated with art and technology network Zero1 on the geeky endeavor, billed "as largest physical expression of pi ever created" and part of the 2012 Zero1 Biennial, a massive Bay Area event that celebrates the convergence of contemporary art and technology.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
Just a quick post so that members of ATS aren't mystified by the video below that is doing the rounds on Facebook, Youtube and elsewhere under the title "UFO MAKES WRITING APPEAR IN SKY 2012".

While the title of the video refers to a "UFO", in fact this video relates to a story that appeared on various news websites in September, including at:

news.cnet.com...

Many denizens of the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley noticed a long series of cloudy numbers in the skies around noon on Wednesday, September 12. No, their coffee wasn't spiked with hallucinogens.

The ephemeral event, known as Pi in the Sky, utilized five aircraft with dot-matrix skywriting technology to write out a thousand numbers of the beloved mathematical constant pi (3.14159..) at a 10,000-foot altitude. If that wasn't impressive enough, the numerals of pi written in the sky each stood nearly a quarter-mile tall, stretched for a 100-mile loop, and undoubtedly caused mass inspiration and confusion all at once.

A quick search on Flickr and YouTube reveals that many people found themselves confused by the numbers in the sky, with theories ranging from a phone number, chemtrails, secret code, and other conspiracy theories.

California artist Ishky collaborated with art and technology network Zero1 on the geeky endeavor, billed "as largest physical expression of pi ever created" and part of the 2012 Zero1 Biennial, a massive Bay Area event that celebrates the convergence of contemporary art and technology.

More information can be found on the official Facebook page for the occasion:
www.facebook.com...

and at:

www.zero1biennial.org...

ISHKY has brought together a team of artists, programmers and scientists to give life to a compelling vision that a community of millions will directly experience. At 10,000 feet altitude, a team of five synchronized aircraft equipped with dot-matrix technology will skywrite the first 1,000 numbers of Pi's infinite sequence. The aircraft will fly in a 100+ mile loop around the San Francisco Bay Area. Each number will measure over a quarter-mile in height. A sixth plane will fly above the writing team, documenting the entire process. ISHKY has also partnered with Stamen Design, a world-class creative firm specializing in data-visualization, to develop a platform for the public to document and share experiences of the event.

A video showing the numbers being written can be seen at:

I've seen the top video appear on two "UFO" Facebook pages this afternoon, so thought it worth attempting to nip this one in the bud...
edit on 29-12-2012 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

Quite obviously done by a plane, even the 'dot matrix' effect is EXACTLY the same as the way planes do it.

This wasn't even worth a post it's so obvious.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I read that. It doesn't explain where their money came from though.
It seems from reading their website that has not been updated since last Feb.
this was not a group event worthy of mention.

www.zero1.org...

I suppose they got together a few of them and threw it all together on a shoestring
budget on the back of a paper napkin at the Waffle House. LoL.

edit on 30-12-2012 by PaperbackWriter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join