It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Martian Flower"! Curiosity Sol 132!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Looks like something geological, not biological.

Yep. I don't see why anyone would think its anything else. If you go to any American desert and pick up a hand of sand, you'll get many many similar looking grains of shiny, crystal-like bits. If you look at large rocks, they'll be embedded in them.

This is a geological feature. Nothing more, nothing less. Not biological by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure if we had more photos of the terrain we'd see many many more.

Nothing to see here, folks.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Move along folks, nothing to see here. Just the tail side of a Dr.Pepper bottle. NOTHING ELSE. I repeat. NOTHING ELSE. Now if you turn to the right, you will see a fabulous new Walmart!!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Computron

You're wrong, there's something there, a rock.

If people gave the right importance to what things mean instead of judging things by their own interests (or lack of interests), things could be different.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It's a very small object, probably just a few millimeters in size. Here's a wider view of that location: mars.jpl.nasa.gov... See if you can spot that "flower".

An even wider shot (Mastcam) from a different angle. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... The "flower" is now almost impossible to spot.

Here's a shot from the Navcam of the MAHLI instrument examining the rock. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

And with the rover partially visible next to that rock, I conclude that the "flower" is practically microscopic. www.spaceflight101.com...

It's just a tiny mineral embedded in the rock. Would be nice to know its composition, so I'll search and ask around.

uk.answers.yahoo.com...
edit on 31-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Whatever it is it looks embedded in the rock.....maybe a crystal type thing....

That's what it looks like to me too.

A growth of Quartz crystal is what i see, could be wrong though.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think it is an interesting find and what is nice about Curiosity is that it has some tools to tell us more about things like this.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

You're wrong, there's something there, a rock.

If people gave the right importance to what things mean instead of judging things by their own interests (or lack of interests), things could be different.

You missed all of the sarcasm in those sentences......... extra DIV

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Computron
You missed all of the sarcasm in those sentences.........

Maybe I did, maybe everybody else did too.

Sarcasm doesn't help in cases like this.
edit on 31/12/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I will now use my American card, and say. "It's my 1st amendment right to use sarcasm, in any speech or writing I present sir/mam. Therefore you can not infrenge on my rights as an American citizen to say as I please."

edit on 31-12-2012 by Computron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Then I will play my Portuguese card and say "I don't understand English".

On topic, and without sarcasm, what do you really think of the photo?

edit on 31/12/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Touche
but really what I think of the photo is that more objects like these will be found. Then the theory of mars having previous life on it will start to gain steam among the rest of the population. I do believe there use to be, but something happened causing life to cease there. Then with time dirt, wind, etc covered and hid all of the things that were there. Didnt think I was gonna say that now did you?
edit on 31-12-2012 by Computron because: cant seem to type correctly today....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It is very obviously embedded into that rock. That being said, it has a peculiar shape. ... interesting photo. It really looks a lot like plastic.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Computron
Touche
but really what I think of the photo is that more objects like these will be found. Then the theory of mars having previous life on it will start to gain steam among the rest of the population. I do believe there use to be, but something happened causing life to cease there. Then with time dirt, wind, etc covered and hid all of the things that were there.

From what I have seen, I don't think that, if Mars had life, it was as common as it is here on Earth, I think that if it was we should have already seen some signs of it from all those photos that we have.

Didnt think I was gonna say that now did you?

In fact I was expecting it.
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'll stick this here rather than create a new thread: in this image, there are some bright streaks on the rocks and soil, like someone drew with a chalk.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Oh man, if that turns out to be quartz I wonder how long it will be before we have people up there mining for gold. Haha

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Thank you very much Johnny!

I'm honored...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Unfortunately, we have seen seen strange things like this before and we have been assured that they will be analysed. Yes, I am sure someone does analyse them but where is the analysis report?

If we knew what the previous ones were, we may have a better clue as to what this one was.

The first one they said was something dropped off the rover. The next one was almost like a piece of gold. It looked as if it was glowing. (yes, I said "looked as if", not that it was glowing) If NASA has run them through the analysis machine why dont they tell us what it was?

I hate it when they do that.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Yes, I am sure someone does analyse them but where is the analysis report?

I'm not, I don't think they will (or should) analyse every rock they find.

The first one they said was something dropped off the rover.

It looked like it, and that's why (apparently) they didn't analysed it, it could contaminate (or even destroy) the machine.

The next one was almost like a piece of gold.

I don't remember anything like that, only a bright (on the photos), small object.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This thread got a mention and a link in the mainstream news!

photoblog.nbcnews.com...

The news story suggests it is a small piece of plastic that fell off the rover itself. Very plausible, but also very statistically remarkable. A tiny piece of plastic on the surface of an entire planet photographed by the very craft it fell from with a tiny hand lense. Quite remarkable in itself.

It does look very much like what they are explaining it to be, although the "luck" in it happening that way suggests there may be other alternatives such as it being quartz or some natural formation that just appears differently due to the colorization of the photos and possible human error that makes it appear as though it could be something it isn't.

It will be interesting to see what the final verdict is.

edit on 4-1-2013 by kthxbai because: fixed link posted incorrectly

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join